Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
oma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/St Petersburg, FLA
Posts: 314
I think I'm going to have problems finding affordable golf - if I want to play daily. Most places will cost $3k/yr with cart unless I play on military course (45 min drive).
__________________

__________________
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 119
I retired from the Navy in Dec 08, and my dream job would be working on a golf course.

I started working at the local Air Force Base GC a couple of months ago. I work in the pro shop and it is easy work for $8.00/hr. While I don't get free golf, it's fun being around golf, plus...with the green fees only $12, it's basically like working for my green fees.

Quite a few contractors want me to put in my resume for a logistics job, but so far I have been fighting the urge! I enjoy what I am doing so far! While I would make more money, they deploy and travel 75% of the time! I had enough of that for the last 20+ years!
__________________

__________________
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 136
Retired and keeping scores... what am I missing!!??!!

Once I'm able to punch out for the last time, the only score I'll be watching is making sure I don't run out of money
__________________
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
I recently left my private club because the cost was getting out of line for me. With the monthly fees plus cart plus dining room minimum my cost to play golf was $48 per round. I just couldn't justify the cost. The $48/round was based on playing three times per week. I don't want to play three times per week especially in the summer when its 90 degrees in the shade at noon. I left my club to join a bunch of guys I played with earlier at my club. We play different courses twice a week and average about $28 per round. In Florida in the summer, they are actually giving away the courses. I'm keeping records this year to see where I stand. In 2008 I spent $5629 not counting my trip to Myrtle Beach (about $1000). I'll see how I do this year.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I recently left my private club because the cost was getting out of line for me. With the monthly fees plus cart plus dining room minimum my cost to play golf was $48 per round. I just couldn't justify the cost. The $48/round was based on playing three times per week. I don't want to play three times per week especially in the summer when its 90 degrees in the shade at noon. I left my club to join a bunch of guys I played with earlier at my club. We play different courses twice a week and average about $28 per round. In Florida in the summer, they are actually giving away the courses. I'm keeping records this year to see where I stand. In 2008 I spent $5629 not counting my trip to Myrtle Beach (about $1000). I'll see how I do this year.
My local course has a family membership for $1500 a year. If both my sons want to learn the game, that will turn out to be cheap. However, with just me and or DW, no way, I can play a LOT of golf for $1500........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bedford, NS
Posts: 132
I've been doing the punch card thing at a couple nice local par 3s. Have been playing with getting a Monday-Thursday membership at a larger course for $925/year that is reasonably close by. But I usually find I golf most in the Spring and Fall, so I havn't pulled the trigger yet.
__________________
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets
guest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 148
I just took a job as a marshal at a local muni that has two courses. Free golf most of the time (paying customers first so no prime time weekends during the summer), free range balls and discounts to glore.

Hopefully I won't work too much but if I do work I make a whopping 8+ an hour!

Should make my spending on golf nearly transparent which was the goal!
__________________
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I just took a job as a marshal at a local muni that has two courses. Free golf most of the time (paying customers first so no prime time weekends during the summer), free range balls and discounts to glore.

Hopefully I won't work too much but if I do work I make a whopping 8+ an hour!

Should make my spending on golf nearly transparent which was the goal!
Boy would I relish a job like that! I love being at a golf course even if I'm not golfing. Just a great atmosphere. Guess I'm too old now. Things have changed around here for cart boys, starters and rangers. Work eight hours and get a free round of golf. Used to be you got free golf no matter what you worked.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets
crispus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 168
My golf game suffered from a 15 year layoff. I grew up playing at a country club, became a 1 handicap and won the club championship 8 times. I left the club during divorce and for 15 years played from 4-20 times a year at public courses. I totally lost my game playing so infrequently. Last June I joined a new country club and am now a 8 handicap. My long game is as good or better then ever (thanks to improvements in equipment), however my short game is pathetic. I will give you an example, I played in the Presidents cup tournament a few weeks ago. I shot an 84 with 41 putts. I am currently trying the claw putting grip to keep my right hand out of the stroke.
Anyway addressing your problem with the long game, I found Jim Hardey's 4 DVD set on the one and two plane swings invaluable. I have worked on the one plane swing for almost a year and am now hitting it much more solid and straight. I stuck with this technique, because I noticed immediately a more athletic swing and better distance. I am 55 and can still drive it over 260 with ease. It has taken me a while to incorporate my own version of Jim's stance. I do not bend over as much at address as he recomends. I hope this is of value. I would hate to see you give up a game that you were so good at. Try to take pleasure in walking and being out in a beautiful environment. That helps me on days when the club feels like an anvil.

Jeff
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My local course has a family membership for $1500 a year. If both my sons want to learn the game, that will turn out to be cheap. However, with just me and or DW, no way, I can play a LOT of golf for $1500........
I pay $215 per month which includes my cart. When the weather is good, I play 4-5 times a week. Winter time, I average twice a week. So year round at least 3 times a week which averages out to $16.50 per round. Not a bad price to pay to keep me busy and out of trouble.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I pay $215 per month which includes my cart. When the weather is good, I play 4-5 times a week. Winter time, I average twice a week. So year round at least 3 times a week which averages out to $16.50 per round. Not a bad price to pay to keep me busy and out of trouble.
Our season up here is really only 5 months, May through September. April is usually quite cold and rainy, and October gets cold quick. If I lived in a warmer clime,I would get a membership like you have, it makes sense.......
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
My golf game suffered from a 15 year layoff. I grew up playing at a country club, became a 1 handicap and won the club championship 8 times. I left the club during divorce and for 15 years played from 4-20 times a year at public courses. I totally lost my game playing so infrequently. Last June I joined a new country club and am now a 8 handicap. My long game is as good or better then ever (thanks to improvements in equipment), however my short game is pathetic. I will give you an example, I played in the Presidents cup tournament a few weeks ago. I shot an 84 with 41 putts. I am currently trying the claw putting grip to keep my right hand out of the stroke.
Anyway addressing your problem with the long game, I found Jim Hardey's 4 DVD set on the one and two plane swings invaluable. I have worked on the one plane swing for almost a year and am now hitting it much more solid and straight. I stuck with this technique, because I noticed immediately a more athletic swing and better distance. I am 55 and can still drive it over 260 with ease. It has taken me a while to incorporate my own version of Jim's stance. I do not bend over as much at address as he recomends. I hope this is of value. I would hate to see you give up a game that you were so good at. Try to take pleasure in walking and being out in a beautiful environment. That helps me on days when the club feels like an anvil.

Jeff
Putting is all mental, and totally about confidence. Plenty of toruing pros change their putting grips, types of putters, etc, and eventually go back to the way they did as an amateur.

Look at Tiger Woods. His putting stroke is virtually the same as it was as an amateur. Seems to work for him....... It took me 30 years to find a putter that "feels" right. Now I have a lot of confidence in it, and 3 footers are no longer the yippy nuisance they once were.
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Our season up here is really only 5 months, May through September. April is usually quite cold and rainy, and October gets cold quick. If I lived in a warmer clime,I would get a membership like you have, it makes sense.......
I would be getting the heck out of there.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I would be getting the heck out of there.
Tell that to my DW, and good luck. ALL her family is either in Wisconsin or Phoenix, and she's not good with the heat. My aunt and uncle live in SC, and I think she might be able to weather that since they are at higher elevation in the Greenville area.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa and Fort Myers
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
If your higher scores were due to a deteriorating short game, I would understand it. It is very rare for a good player to have his tee-to-green game deteriorate the way you describe. Sounds like something has happened to your coordination and timing, which might have a physiological basis. I would see a doctor.
Indeed. He should get a brain scan, especially if he detects any other loss of capacity.
__________________
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I think I'm going to have problems finding affordable golf - if I want to play daily. Most places will cost $3k/yr with cart unless I play on military course (45 min drive).
Main reason why I slowly stopped playing. I enjoy it however i find other things more appealing to do with my money. I still go but not just like I used too.
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
I have never played a lot, so for me, its always a "new" experience........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golf Danny Other topics 70 08-08-2008 06:47 PM
Want to play golf with this one? newguy88 Other topics 17 08-02-2007 09:26 AM
Who plays golf? Sam Other topics 27 07-08-2007 09:38 AM
What is the most you have paid for Golf? Dog Life after FIRE 24 06-28-2007 07:48 PM
Mini Golf Outtahere Other topics 28 02-07-2007 11:16 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.