Join Early Retirement Today
Life and health insurance... buy online?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Life and health insurance... buy online?

Where did you buy your life and health insurance, from a local agent or online? I've been doing some preliminary surfing online and it's a daunting experience.

Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
You might get some quotes online, but I think that a good independent agent may be helpful in steering you through the morass. Plus if you have any health issues at all the agent can be very helpful.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
I bought mine online -- I was so green I didn't know about independent agents for individuals. It was an awful experience even without any health issues at all.

I'd definitely go with an agent.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Health insurance I have through my former employer, but life insurance I bought online. I used and got quotes, then picked through them and chose an insurer that I had (have) confidence in, and got my policy. Not sure which route I'd take if I had to shop for a health insurance policy....probably shop both online as well as local agents....then flip a coin.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
We get life insurance through DH's professional organization. This is fine as long as we remember to pay his professional dues each year. But we got amazing rates, and didn't need to use an agent.

We'd probably do the same for health insurance if we didn't already get an amazing deal through his employer.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I am pretty sure you can buy term online. If you want Whole Life or UL.. you may need to go through an Agent.

IMO - I would buy term if I were in the market for Life Insurance.

The biggest question is: how much life insurance do you need? And how much are you willing to pay. Balancing out those two will provide you some key insight.

Personally, I would only buy Life Insurance from a Triple A company (rated tops by 2 or more rating agencies) that has strong net worth and is conservative. Life insurance is a long-term contract... you will want a company that can last.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote