Life in the 90's

Thanks for posting that. Very nice, well written. I recall my father, in his late 80's, was asked if he would get another dog after the last one passed. He said "no, I can't stand putting them 'to sleep' any more". At the time I thought is was because the histrionics of my mother every time a pet had to be put down. But after reading this article, I realize that there might have been more complexity to his feelings.

I was able to download the original article in html and then turned it into a epub for easy reading on my nook.

Thank you for posting this. I read the linked blog and enjoyed that so much I then googled the original New Yorker article.

Lots of wisdom in those words.

I had to check the dictionary to find out what "venery"meant.

Will never make the next 16 years to Angell's age, but hope springs eternal.

The article mentions the phenomenon of becoming "invisible" (and inaudible, apparently) to others as you age.

While I would never want to go back to the unpleasant hyper-visibility of girlhood - being catcalled and insulted as I walked down a public street - I worry that being treated by others as if I don't exist (except, of course, when they want my money) will affect my own view of myself.

Will I seem to myself to diminish in size, depth, and importance? Will I eventually cease to develop and use what gifts I possess, if nobody notices or acknowledges me? Is this what drives people to enter "senior communities" where everyone is in the same age-boat?

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom