Life in the EU - eat, drink, smoke and work out.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's an interesting article on how much people in the various European Union countries eat, drink, smoke and visit health clubs. Not surprisingly, the French and Italians spend the most time eating. :D

The European Union is supposed to be a single market of goods — but within that single market, there are very different appetites and very different lifestyles. Here’s a look at how taste and lifestyle vary across the bloc.

https://www.politico.eu/interactive/europe-appetites-eating-drinking-smoking-caffeine/

Here's an interesting article on how much people in the various European Union countries eat, drink, smoke and visit health clubs. Not surprisingly, the French and Italians spend the most time eating. :D

https://www.politico.eu/interactive/europe-appetites-eating-drinking-smoking-caffeine/

After the newness wore off, I dreaded business travel to France. Restaurants don't open until 7:30ish and you can plan on 90 minutes or so by the time you've paid the check. Evenings were tied up eating when I had plenty of "homework" for the next morning.

But the food was awesome. :)

Having done a lot of travel - there are not a lot of fat people in Italy or France... they just linger when they are eating. No large portions... just lots of socialness while stretching out the meals.

Interesting on France and smoking... I didn't notice as many smokers when I was there 2 years ago - compared to previous trips. I know this was Europe - but I wonder how they'd compare to Asia and smoking.

On the topic of alcohol consumption per person, that's the consumption they know about (and probably tax).

For example, could Italy be showing less consumption because their government controls are allowing some product into the market under the table?

On the topic of alcohol consumption per person, that's the consumption they know about (and probably tax).

For example, could Italy be showing less consumption because their government controls are allowing some product into the market under the table?

I'm not sure if this is under the table, but I have had many glasses of home-made wine in Italy. I must assume that is not reported to the government. But, you know what they say about assumptions....

I am a type II diabetic and monitor my blood sugar daily. What is strange is that my blood sugar runs lower when we travel to Italy than in the in the USA.
We do not place a huge emphasis on food, and often eat big continental breakfasts, picnic for lunch and eat a normal (for us) meal at early dinners.
When Italian families go out on Saturday nights, I have no idea where they put all the food of those multi course meals. There is enough food on a table to feed 3 times the people there.

Last edited:
Lived in Japan for a while and would go to a high-end health club; it was definitely someplace where the boss went.

For the most part, after perhaps a swim and a shower/steam bath the natives pretty much sat in a comfy recliner, smoked, drank scotch and watched TV before going back to work. The cool-down rooms actually had cigarette machines and it was clear that few, if any of the workout machines got much use.

Back
Top Bottom