life list

bluehende

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi;
My first week of retirement...semi forced through outsourcing.....and so far so good.

Basic question What life list kind of activities have you done or planned in retirement:confused:?

I will give mine first.......

Absolutely doing

1. A mountain Bike ride in all 50 states. 48 to be done quickly and the other two at leisure.

2. While out west, climb a 14er.

Depending on the current recovery from 2 knee surgerys.....

1. Climb the adirondak 46ers...18 so far

2. Hike as much of the AT as possible.

DW and I are not able to do much on a physical level....it is not the age........it is the mileage; so our list is pretty tame. No mountains to climb, no rivers to swim, no 1000 mile hikes, etc.; just simple stuff we have not had time to do for the past 30+ years due to working too much and enjoying life too little.

Our basic list of life wants and needs:

1. Detoxification- from three decades of high stress jobs. Rest, relax, read books (for fun and not to keep up with business trends), take walks together, sleep.

2. Realignment of priorities. Stop planning for retirement...I am already here. Stop saving for retirement...I have enough. Stop dreaming of a life without work....live it. Stop thinking about work 24/7....it is over. Stop scheduling life activities around work schedules....start living without work.

3. Focus on what is really important.
Make friends outside of my work circle of peers.

RV for short distances but stay in an area longer to fully explore what it has to offer. Float through an area without a schedule; stop to smell the flowers. Learn that I don't have to rush to get somewhere so I can enjoy myself; learn to enjoy what is around me now.

Go to school to learn rather than to pass.
Spend more time with distant family; they won't be around forever.

4. Other stuff.
Simplify my life.
Remove "things" I don't use and don't need.
Learn to stop filing everything "just in case I need it some day".
Learn to live on less and find happiness in life rather than in things.

Spend quality time with my wife.

Here's a list that I started in Dec 2000 (18 months before retirement) and update every couple of years. I cross them off when I'm satisfied. The first update was changing the time scale from "next month" to "next couple months", "one year" to "within three years", and so on.

Nords goals:

Very short range ("the next couple months"):
Do well on the ORSE (big training command inspection)
Start investing in the stock market
Finish unpacking boxes
Reorganize the garage
Make a tickler on Outlook Calendar
See "HoneyDo" list and work tickler
Work out at least 3x week (with spouse!)

Short range ("less than three years"):
Retire
New screaming computer (several times)
Paint the house
Clean out file drawers (home and work!)
New HoneyDo & PMS lists
Donate blood regularly
Visit grandfather
Complete revocable living trust estate planning
Complete "what to do if I wake up dead" list & passwords
Re-evaluate volunteer Treasurer & Board member after one year

Medium range ("three to five"):
Retire
Grow a ponytail
Volunteer at school (grading papers, math tutoring)
Chaperone all the field trips that school will allow
Learn to surf
Tae kwan do or karate
More beach time
More diving!
Balance O'Neill's "CANSLIM" & IBD software against discounted cash flow (particularly ugly)
MWR "Hike of the Month" club
Water conditioner & solar water heater (2003 for Hawaii tax rebate)
Maintain at least 10% investment IRR/annual return. 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 (four outta five ain't bad)
Investigate nutritional balance ("Estimation of Energy Expenditure" article)
Investigate caloric restriction (download Walford's calorie software)

Long range ("life"):
Be a good spouse
Be a good Dad
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand (halfway there)
Join the top ten on USNA AA's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on Navy's "Shift Colors" retirement magazine

Nords,
18 months? That's about where I'm at now...if I wait that long. I've thought about making a list. Right now I've taken a four week vacation with the object now evolving into not really doing much if anything (actually I'm practicing retiring). But maybe I should make a before and after list. I have a vague list of befores. But haven't really followed through. Thought about getting a lot done this vacation but am beginning to think WHY?(as I'm sipping a glass of Merlot). Mmm finished the 6th Harry Potter book. Will catch Spider Man Monday morning. Interesting how being incredibly lazy is good for the pocketbook. ;)

Nords said:
Nords goals:

Nice list Nords.

I have not built an actual written list... but I intend to create a list for FIRE.

I retired in 2003 and now waiting for my wife to retire in 4 years. We aren't planners and tend to do things on the spur of the moment but thinking about it my plans are:

Move to New Mexico which will give us a new part of the country to explore.
Road trips to:
Houston to visit my oldest son and his family.
CA to visit family and friends up and down the state.
Seattle to visit my brother.

Most importantly enjoy our lives of leisure together.

Back
Top Bottom