Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Aw, mh! Sluggo is so cute! Even for an old man (how wonderful that he has made it into his twenties!).
He does pretty good for his age. His hearing is shot, and he can't see things well closer to his face. but then again neither can i
But he stills runs around with the younger one albeit at a somewhat reduced top speed.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marquette,

Your dog is a pretty one! Being a new owner (being around dogs and volunteering at shelters for years doesn't really have the same impact as being completely responsible for one dog), I've been hitting the local library for dog books. I figure the more I read and let simmer, the more perspective I'll have on ownership.

I just finished "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan. He had a really good section on powerful breeds. But I think the whole book was useful for me -- it was a primer on dog psychology and I'll do more reading. I found it to be well-written and interesting, as well as a quick read.

I, too, oppose breed bans, but know that insurance companies often drive the bus when it comes to apartment complexes. We're with AAA, and they won't insure our house if we have a pit bull, Karolian Bear Dog, Am Staff, or several other breeds including, get this, a Bernese Mountain Dog. Must have had a big claim against that last one.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Urchina, the best book I've read lately, someone here recommended to me. It is called Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog and has changed my relationship with my dogs forever. It is a really neat perspective on the dog/human relationship and I recommend you look for it through your library.
Have fun learning more about interacting with your dog!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #104
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
The little guy on the left , 'sluggo' , is 22 (maybe 21) years old..
But what are you feeding sluggo? If it's not SubWay I think we can get him a gig.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
But what are you feeding sluggo? If it's not SubWay I think we can get him a gig.
Hmm... maybe you're on to something there.
He is a dyed-in-the-wool "IAMS small dog" kibble
man...
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #106

Sarah, thanks for the book tip -- I'll see if our library carries it.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #107

We've had our kittens for almost a week now. They are adorable!

They've been sleeping in our bed, though they got pretty rowdy this morning around 5AM. The orange tiger is a boy, and the tortoise shell is a girl. We gave them names straight out of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. The boy's name is D'Hoffryn, and the girl is Anyanka. I think everyone is going to think we're weird.

The second pic has a tie-in to two other threads. The bottom shelf are martial arts books, and the one above that has our D&D books.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114_1442.jpg (641.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 114_1401.jpg (637.0 KB, 1 views)
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

ADORABLE! Kronk, I love them both!
Oh how I remember when my orange sherbert boy was a kitten, and my gray calico looked a little lighter than yours. Tortis are always girls. Who doesn't love kittens!
Please feel free to share more kitten pictures when possible--they are the cutest things ever! Those are um, complicated names, but I don't know the story of the Vampire Slayer. My orange is Hokey (grandfather on DH side, and cali is Henry--yes she's a girl). Also have Harriet, Jinx and Minx on the cat side of the house.

They are just lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:49 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
We've had our kittens for almost a week now. They are adorable!

They've been sleeping in our bed, though they got pretty rowdy this morning around 5AM. The orange tiger is a boy, and the tortoise shell is a girl. We gave them names straight out of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. The boy's name is D'Hoffryn, and the girl is Anyanka. I think everyone is going to think we're weird.

The second pic has a tie-in to two other threads. The bottom shelf are martial arts books, and the one above that has our D&D books.
What lucky little kittens to have found such a good home! It's great you adopted two of them. I have found they are much happier and healthier when adopted in pairs. The names are unusual but I can guarantee you the kittens don't care!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #110

Earlier this spring we bought a wool bed from Shepherd’s Dream which has been quite nice. It’s a springless mattress filled with wool inside a wool case. Since wool helps regulate your body temperature, we don’t get hot even though it’s summer. Anyhow, Bandit also thinks the bed is super awesome and he hogs it every chance he gets (as you can see).

When we were showing the house, we had the regular bed in the master and the wool bed on slats in the loft. We had to roll it up one day to get it out of the way and Bandit became VERY perplexed! He finally found a solution….

Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote