Join Early Retirement Today

Lifelong Learning
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lifelong Learning

Just wanted to share a marvelous find that is FREE

iTunes, the computer application, has a section called iTunes U (iTunes University). It has thousands of classes that are all free on just about any subject you can think of. You can download the iTunes computer application, and register even if you don't have an iPhone, iPad or any other device.

Once you've downloaded the app to your computer, you can navigate to iTunes University and start browsing through the classes.

I just downloaded an entire semester from Yale University on the History of Roman Architecture. AND IT WAS FREE.

Can you tell I'm excited??

Have fun!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I just downloaded an entire semester from Yale University on the History of Roman Architecture. AND IT WAS FREE.

Can you tell I'm excited??

Have fun!
Yes.

Thanks for alerting us to this. Does the download include image files so you can see what is being discussed?

Ha
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #3

Hi Ha,

The class that I just downloaded is a full video-taped series of lectures of the Yale professor Diane Kleiner (the lecture series is 24 classes and about 8 gig). So far she's used Google Earth and tons of pictures to illustrate her discussion.

I can't say that all of the classes will be the same quality since this is the first one I've viewed, but this first one is amazing so far.

I live in a community in Henderson NV called "Seven Hills". I've known that it was based on a community somewhere in Italy, but I just learned in the first lecture that "Seven Hills" was a walled city in Roman from the 1st century AD! I just love learning this kind of stuff

I told my husband about the iTunes find earlier this evening and he's already found classes on writing screenplays (one of his many hobbies).
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks Lisa ,
I'm going to download it today . I can download i tunes to my e reader so maybe I can also download a class .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've listened to several Berkley classes.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! I'm going to look at some of the Spanish courses. Sound interesting.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #7

Yes, I started searching here whenever I want to learn a new subject. I did download some advanced Spanish classes (mostly videos) before my stint in Colombia this year.

I am now learning Tagalog (Filipino), which would be my fourth language (fortunately they have borrowed a lot of Spanish and English words!). There is nothing useful in the university section. But I searched the podcast section last week and I download a few useful learning Tagalog podcasts. Very handy and location-independent. I consider this another tool in the learning toolbox.

Regarding paying for stuff in the iTunes store, it pays to shop around. I am going through the Pimsleur Tagalog series. These are audio-only language lessons and a great way to go from zero in any language. These were selling for list price in the Itunes store. But buying through amazon.com I got 30% off (around $3 per 30 minute lesson). I am buying the first 15 audio lessons (via amazon.com which goes to audible.com for the purchase) and my library has the next 15.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote