Join Early Retirement Today

Lifelong Learning
Old 01-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lifelong Learning

Today I found out about the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UC San Diego. They offer some incredible education opportunities for almost nothing. I would expect other large universities may offer similar programs.

Osher Institute at UCSD

Quote:
“The most difficult thing in the world is to listen, to see. We don’t want to see. Do you think a capitalist wants to see what is good in the communist system? Do you think a communist wants to see what is good and healthy in the capitalist system? Do you think a rich man wants to look at poor people? We don’t want to look, because if we do, we may change. We don’t want to look. If you look you lose control of the life that you are so precariously holding together. And so in order to wake up, the one thing you need the most is not energy, or strength, or youthfulness, or even great intelligence. The one thing you need most of all is the readiness to learn something new.”
-Anthony de Mello, Awareness
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

They are indeed at many major universities. Many are known as "OLLI" programs, so your friend Google can help you find out if there is one near you.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Today I found out about the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of San Diego. They offer some incredible education opportunities for almost nothing. I would expect other large universities may offer similar programs.

Osher Institute at UCSD

Starsky, I stumbled onto this last fall so I was too late for many of the sessions as they were full up. Live in Phoenix.

However, I was ready on Jan 3rd when registration opened. These are awesome ways to sharpen the mental and social saw(s)

Where else can you have a four series lecture on forensic botany!

Between OLLI and Aeizona State University, I am like a 58 year old kid in a candy shop. I start an astronomy lecture courses Wednesday! A real human professors! No on-line!
jj1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never could find an Ollie course I was interested enough in to make the commitment to attend. I like online college courses because I can dip in and stay or drop based on how they go and follow them in my spare time. I liked Behavioral Economics from Duke, Constitutional Law from UC Irving, and currently Bit Coin and Cryptocurrency Technologies from Princeton. There are quite a few good options out there, I like Coursera.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Auditing college or university classes (for seniors) can be free in almost every state. The simple google search of "audit college classes for free" brings up many options.
Here's one link out of many.

Where to Find Free College Courses for Senior Citizens in All 50 States

In Illinois, there are laws that permit seniors to audit classes for free. signing up for eligibility is simple. Acceptance is dependent on the type and size of classes, and approval of the professor.

Many interesting opportunities in our local community colleges.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from my Tuesday OLLI class (through the University of Denver). I enjoy the classes. Some have been better than others. It's a very low cost way to learn about a topic without too much commitment. I don't think I want to teach one but have helped in other ways.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #7

The problem with online courses is that they're too easy to quit. I made a thread a while ago to post to when you start an online course with the idea that publicly stating you were taking the course would add to the motivation to finish. Excuse me now while I post over there...admitting defeat.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Love the Osher program. In addition to classes, they have a hiking group that I'm part of as well as a walking group and a movie group. Our parks and recreation department also has a lifelong learning program with low cost trips to places like a coffee roaster, an urban worm farm, an organic farm, etc. for guided tours and discussion.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's usually 1 OLLI in each state. Some states have 2. I'm lucky enough to be in the city with an OLLI. I look forward to participating when I'm retired. I've heard that the folks there are very friendly and genuinely interested in lifelong learning. I might even teach a class there later, if they'll let me.

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Auditing college or university classes (for seniors) can be free in almost every state. The simple google search of "audit college classes for free" brings up many options.
Here's one link out of many.
Thanks so much for the link. I found out I can audit classes at the local university for $12.50 per semester hour. The downside is they make you wait until the late registration period. I guess they want to get all the full-freight paying students they can in there first.

Now the question is: Do I really want to commit to being at a certain place and at the specified time for a whole semester? I'm thinking about that one.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The problem with online courses is that they're too easy to quit. I made a thread a while ago to post to when you start an online course with the idea that publicly stating you were taking the course would add to the motivation to finish. Excuse me now while I post over there...admitting defeat.
I did three years of my B.S. degree purely online be while working full-time. I preferred most things about doing it online compared to in the classroom. The exception being the lack of social interaction involved.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote