Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
But I am definitely a more pleasant person to be around, I shudder at how much I stressed over the small stuff back in the day, especially with my family. I certainly wish I was as self-aware of how tough that was on them then as I am now.
I ran into that too. DW and I agonized for a long time whether retiring and moving to WV was a good move. About six months after the move we went to my younger sister's house and she said "I haven't seen you two look so relaxed for years". That removed any lingering doubt. We knew we'd done the right thing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

I also experienced the 'fog' from the last year of a difficult job (dealing with union issues- need I say more?). The last few months were particularly bad, so much so that I wondered if I was developing early senility- couldn't seem to remember anything! I've now been retired 6 weeks and my brain seems to be 'back', perhaps because it's not overloaded with data, drama, and the stress of a moody boss. I'm guessing the 8-10 hours of sleep I get each night may be helping, too

Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Sounds wonderful! I don't recall anything like that, and have unfortunately not become any more creative (writing, etc.) in ER. But I am definitely a more pleasant person to be around, I shudder at how much I stressed over the small stuff back in the day, especially with my family. I certainly wish I was as self-aware of how tough that was on them then as I am now.
+2

When my teen kids started asking me about a year ago why I was so p-d all the time and snapped at meaningless stuff (traffic, airport lines, etc.) I realized (a) that DW wasn't just picking on me when she had pointed out the same for some time; and (b) I needed to get serious about FI and RE …

Still working on the RE part, but closing in on FI with a firm number and date in mind. Just the exercise alone has proved incredibly cathartic and calming. Realizing that if for some reason we were acquired, etc and/or I was let go for any reason I really wouldn't need to work anytime soon … perhaps not at all.