Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #161
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I already did:

Cheers! Knew I saw it and couldn't find it to add here. Maybe it was already here !!!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

EU countries are tightening their immigration rules for non EU citizens. It's an expression of growing nationalism, xenophobia and a perception that immigrants are a drain on the economy. I have argued long an hard against the UKs new non-EU spouse immigration laws, but the prevailing political atmosphere has many anti-immigration trends. If you are considering retiring abroad you new to take them into account. Personally, even as a UK/US citizen al la Emily Blunt I would not retire to an EU country other than the UK until the UKs "in or out" EU status is decided.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of the EU countries have zero or negative population growth.

Some like Germany are wise to this and are more willing to accept Syrian refugees.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
There was a recent article published that if one could prove one was of Spanish Jewish descent and one's family was expelled during the Inquisition, the Spanish government would consider giving one Spanish citizenship if one passed a Spanish history and language test and possibly/maybe a means test. I think.

I know this was my paternal family's legend - that we were expelled in 1492, etc. - but how to prove it? Some distant relatives had a genealogy done in the 1960's and I know my long dead uncle saw it. I asked my first cousin about it but she did not know more about these distant cousins than I did. What little I could find on the internet was the email address of a possible distant cousin. I wrote to her but so far, crickets.

I think it would be cool to have Spanish citizenship because then, as an EU resident, I wouldn't have to switch countries every 3 months if I didn't want to. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Have you checked Ancestry.com? It might be worth a couple of months membership to check it out. If the study was done then it might be there. Or hire a professional to check it out.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Have you checked Ancestry.com? It might be worth a couple of months membership to check it out. If the study was done then it might be there. Or hire a professional to check it out.
I think you can get a week free trial for a quick check.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #166
gone traveling

Today in the WSJ:

"The U.S. government has long created hardships for Americans who live abroad, and much of the problem relates to the tax code. America is the only country that taxes citizens on their global earnings, and in 2010 Washington exacerbated that by passing the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, or Fatca. As this law comes into force, it is doing immense harm to Americans and American interests abroad.

Aimed at preventing money laundering, the financing of terrorism and tax evasion, Fatca requires foreign financial institutions such as banks to report the identities of their American customers and any assets those Americans hold. Institutions that don’t comply are subject to a 30% withholding tax on any of their own transactions in the U.S.

This provision was enacted without regard for its effects on the 8.7 million U.S. citizens living abroad, who have essentially been declared guilty of financial crimes unless they can prove otherwise. Many institutions no longer consider their American clients worth the burden and potential penalties of the law, and are abandoning them in droves.

Being an American overseas has become a liability, and not just because it’s difficult to open or keep a bank account. Americans are now often seen as toxic. Thanks to Fatca and other tax provisions, foreigners who marry Americans abroad can see their prospects for homeownership and their pensions, insurance, privacy and investments negatively affected."

Good Luck.

The Law That Makes U.S. Expats Toxic - WSJ
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #167
Administrator

This is a popular discussion and thread. Let's keep it focused on the thread topic, which is visas and visa requirements for non-residents. Members are free to post about US tax policy and other expat matters, but please use other threads.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Most of the EU countries have zero or negative population growth. Some like Germany are wise to this and are more willing to accept Syrian refugees.
This is true, but you have to balance the far sighted German attitude against the policies of Eastern EU countries, UK etc. In all EU countries there is a perception that immigrants take advantage if the generous benefits without necessarily contributing; this attitude is also seen in the US particularly with illegal immigrants even when they pay tax. There is also a cultural resistance to immigration in some countries.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #169

Thinking about the income limits would an annunity qualify? A whole life annunity could provide a guaranteed income stream, that might meet the test.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:37 AM   #170
Confused about dryer sheets

Thailand - Thailand has a flourishing Retirement Visa Program. First need a Long Stay Visa. (Easier to get in the USA). A Foreign Bank account with about 800,000 Baht 35=$1
or a Pension of 60,000 Baht/Month. You can go to American Consulate and they will give you a letter that states you have these Amounts of money in the USA. Will be accepted my Thai Immigration. Cost $50 USA - If you want to go back and forth more than 1 time per year you need a multiple entry Visa an extra $100 USA. Thailand is Beautiful Has flourishing Tourism. The downside is Humid weather and a long trip.
tndiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndiehard View Post
Thailand - Thailand has a flourishing Retirement Visa Program. First need a Long Stay Visa. (Easier to get in the USA). A Foreign Bank account with about 800,000 Baht 35=$1
or a Pension of 60,000 Baht/Month. You can go to American Consulate and they will give you a letter that states you have these Amounts of money in the USA. Will be accepted my Thai Immigration. Cost $50 USA - If you want to go back and forth more than 1 time per year you need a multiple entry Visa an extra $100 USA. Thailand is Beautiful Has flourishing Tourism. The downside is Humid weather and a long trip.
Hi tndiehard, unless things have recently changed, those bank accounts must be in Thailand, not the USA. And they are certified with documents from the Thai bank. The US embassy will certify pension income, however, and that can be used in lieu of the bank account requirements.

Also, if you apply outside of Thailand, you need a health check by a doctor and a police clearance from your home country. So it's easier to apply each year in Thailand, if your scheduled accommodates that, as they seem not to require those two things for in-country applicants.

The visa must be renewed from scratch each year, e.g., you must reapply each year.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Political stability?
Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #173
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the Visa info. I have been going to Thailand more than 16 years. During that time there have been many Political Coups. None of them seemed to have much impact, except for the airport closure. The only thing that concerns me now is the death of the KING when he dies there could be instability of some kind. OH WELL.
tndiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Update on Republic of Georgia.
A while back, Georgia went from allowing Americans to stay without a visa for 12 months to a 3 - month visa requirement. I noticed that. I did not notice that they almost immediately reversed the decision. I liked Georgia. And they like us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #175
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
The visa must be renewed from scratch each year, e.g., you must reapply each year.
Technically, each year one requests a 1 year extension to their visa. Except for waiting at the immigration office, it's a painless experience.

In six years I've yet to hear or read of anyone being denied an extension to their 'retirement' (usually a non-immigrant type O) visa. Most of the expats I know agree that to be denied an extension, one has to have pissed off somebody important, or there was a major change to the system. But we're speculating.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Technically, each year one requests a 1 year extension to their visa. Except for waiting at the immigration office, it's a painless experience.

In six years I've yet to hear or read of anyone being denied an extension to their 'retirement' (usually a non-immigrant type O) visa. Most of the expats I know agree that to be denied an extension, one has to have pissed off somebody important, or there was a major change to the system. But we're speculating.
Hi, yes I agree that it is pretty routine if you are in the country although you do have get the bank accounts or pension signed off each year.

If you are applying outside of the country however you must get another doctor's check and yet another home country police clearance (that must be notarized by an official before submission to the embassy). If you don't happen to be in your home country, getting the properly notarized police clearance is not easy.

I went through this whole process once for my Philippines residency. And it was more expensive. Although it is permanent (pay a fee once every 3 years only), I don't have to go through the application process ever again. Anyway, I was just trying to make a distinction. I think the My Second Home program in Malaysia is also more towards a permanent visa although it must be renewed every 10 years.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know how DW and I can retire early to New Zealand? Age 45 and 37 respectively. It seems their retirement visas are for older folks. We only have a 1M NW and a 50k USD pension. I might like to hobby farm a little, but I don't want to open a business.

surferLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferLife View Post
Does anyone know how DW and I can retire early to New Zealand? Age 45 and 37 respectively. It seems their retirement visas are for older folks. We only have a 1M NW and a 50k USD pension. I might like to hobby farm a little, but I don't want to open a business.
I looked into migrating/retiring to NZ many times over the years. It's hard to do. They don't really want Americans to move there, and put all sorts of barriers in the way. It's easier for a Brit or Ozzie to go. We finally gave up on it. If you learn anything, I'd be interested to see it.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful country but high COL, earthquakes, high winds.

Also people are more prone to get sunburns.

But I'd consider moving there if they offered retirement visas.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

They do offer retirement visas if you meet certain age and financial requirements. Regarding the British citizenship.... I do have the option to pursue dual citizenship with Britain, so perhaps that angle would be better?

surferLife is offline   Reply With Quote