Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I am already frugal, I cannot see how I could squeeze any significant savings without some undue hardship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Uh. A 78 F home is a bridge too far for me. It costs us about $1 to $2 a day extra to be at 72 year 'round, and that's some of the best money our household spends, IMO. But, we're all different.
78F is what I set my thermostat at. And I already pay $350/month in the summer despite fancy energy-efficient windows. Lowering it down to 72F will bring the bill to perhaps $600-700/month.

And then, if I got so used to 72F I would not dare leave the home to venture out in the heat and would stay locked indoors the whole summer.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Married the right person.
In my case, stayed single. I just never found anyone as frugal as myself, so single it is!

I'm glad you found the right person.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
2. staying out of bars / not smoking (I have a well stocked bar at home)
I've always gone to bars to hear live music. Back in my younger (and poorer, and probably stupider) days I was known to drink 3 or 4 beers in the parking lot, then nurse one more in the bar for a couple of hours during the show. Saved a lot of money that way, saw some great music, and never got arrested. Win/win.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #44

Vanguard index and ETF funds, sefl managed........Delta frequent flyer miles to purchase favorite magazines. ........scan flyers from 3 grocery stores, take to Wallmart....they match prices and we save gas......lease cars with maintenance included....no wasted time, no repair costs....had accident.... if it would have been an old car.....6 years or older, it would not have had 8 air bags, passengers probably would have been injured or killed......saving lives is more important than saving money! We're lucky, we have enough to put food on the table, a roof over our heads, cash for emergencies BUT don't like to waste money.....great blog......good ideas....thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching only free DVDs borrowed from the library.

Using electric heating pads in my favorite chair and on the dog bed to keep us warm to delay turning on heat and/or keeping heat set to lower temp.

Soon I'll be giving away my 16 year old Acura and moving to a city with great public transportation. Monthly passes are cheap for us old people.

I'm too tall for thrift store clothes so I get undies and wear at home clothes from Dharma Trading Co. Homepage and dye them in the washing machine with iDye. Sweats, T shirts, etc.

Buy sheets, slowcookers, and other things at the thrift store and at yard sales.

Buy one book, one book must get donated to library. Makes for far less book purchases.

Turn off hot water heater until 3 hours before needed. I only need hot water in the morning so that saves lots of electricity.

Shop for food (esp produce) every few days so almost no waste.

In winter I would preheat the car interior this way:
take 2 washcloths and sew around all edges but leave a few inches on one side. Fill with kidney beans. Sew opening shut. Microwave for up to 2 minutes. Put in car on dash 20 minutes before driving. Car interior warm and ice on windshield soft for scraping. Car smells like soup but that's OK. I had to make a new one each year because dog would usually wreck one hoping to find and eat the "soup." If it were colder here, I would make smaller ones for my jacket pockets.

Buy leather gloves in January when on sale. Buy cotton gloves at the hardware store for a buck or two.

Have no-skid soles put on leather shoes for longer wear as well as not slipping.

Subscribing to local Community Supported Agriculture each summer. I split the cost with a single friend.

Buy soap from the soap-makers store rather than the grocery or drug store. $3.50 a pound for lovely goat's milk soap.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

List your most effective expense saving moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Uh. A 78 F home is a bridge too far for me. It costs us about $1 to $2 a day extra to be at 72 year 'round, and that's some of the best money our household spends, IMO. But, we're all different.

I enjoy my access to cheaper coal fired electricity. My house temp wont creep above that either. I would probably save no more than a buck a day either. I will pay for comfort, though others definition I am sure is different. My best savings decision was signing up for an HSA HDHP. In five short retirement years it has already provided me about a $1k a year in yearly tax savings and already is additionally generating me now over an additional $1k yearly income. And hopefully this will snowball significantly more the coming years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

More or less in order of importance:

1) Married sensible wife later in life. She practiced LBYM and brought significant savings into the marriage, which eventually launched both our FIRE's

2) No financial advisor!!!!! :-)

3) No vacation house/cabin

4) No boat or RV

5) Burned out on travel after 2 decades w/ Megacorp commuting to the Pacific Rim, and not the nice places either

6) Drive reliable, boring, sensible cars until the wheels fall off...

We do have our fun dining out locally (high COLA for Midwest) and enjoy our luxuries like name-brand cable TV and indulge a photography habit. Got to live a little... :-)
Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Found my list on this old post....

Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement
Quote:
STUFF WE DON'T SPEND MONEY ON

Life Insurance
New Clothing
Haircuts
Hair styling
Pedicures/manicures
Beauty products
Movies
Concerts
Sporting events
Restaurants (more than $8 meal)
Books
Music
"New" Computers (since 2002)... all refurb or reclaim
Software... (Twice in lifetime.. total $30) all other "free"
Car maintenance labor... all DIY except 3 times for major repairs
Brand vs. Generic foods
Premium meat or fish
Financial Advisor
Lawyer
Chiro/Massage/Tan etc.
Tatoos...
New Home Decor.. (all resale)
Cars.. since 1998...
Car Wash and wax... since 1989
Premium TV channels
New Bikes or Exercise equipment
Sporting goods
Cruises (so far)
Group trips
Flying (Airlines)
Lodging (more than 3 star)
Premium Gasoline
Tools (already have more than I'll ever use, including welders etc.)
Housekeeper
Carpet Cleaning
Window/Gutter/Furnace etc. Cleaning... all DIY
Premium booze/wine...
Jewelry
Organic foods
Brand sodas
Painting, remodeling
Weapons
Subscriptions (AARP only)
Gambling
Banking or Credit Card Fees
Appliance or Electonics insurance
Eye Glasses... except for $1readers (since 2000... maybe eye test this year.)
Pets... (except bird feed)
Healthcare maintenance... exercise equipment, pool, advisor etc... (all included in our senior community membership. (no fees)
Pest control... DIY
Only "fee for" is Activities Association (FL).. $6/year

.... for starters...
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Good fortune and dumb luck.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #50

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I always thought I was frugal downsizing homes to an area with the cheapest houses and property taxes in the U.S. And I long ago gave up eating out more than once per week--and Krystal is my wife's favorite meal. But you people still have me beat by a long shot.

But:
We did downsize from 4200 square ft. to 3500 square ft.
We also inherited a lake house, and have a late model 24' boat and a Waverunner in the boathouse.
I do have 5 cars, and auto insurance and homeowners insurance is our biggest expense. I'm not ready to give up my Jaguar convertible.
We got rid of our phone land line, and I'm turning off my cell phone.
We're about 20 miles too far from tv towers to turn off the cable. I do bitch to Comcast about our bills every 60 days and they cut my bills $20 each time.

But if the stock market continues to tank, serious lifestyle changes will be warranted. I've been blessed to have no debt of any kind and Megacorp allows us to purchase healthcare coverage at affordable rates.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Three of my friends are marshals/starters/cart jockeys at nearby golf courses. For six hours of work a week, they play for free the rest of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #52

One of the best things we ever did was move into a 1200 sq. ft. house on 10 acres. We built it ourselves, and included:
1. 4" insulation
2. tankless hot water heater
3. Vegetable garden
4. Whole house fan
Plus, we:
1. Purchase bulk foods, cook meals, and freeze
2. Have no cable...just antenna & online
3. Then there's the usual like old cars, thrift store clothes, and yard sales.

The biggest savings is energy. During our hot summers, we have never spent more than $90.00 for air conditioning. We have a wood stove for winters.

Knowing that I have time to visit friends & family, take a trip, read, or just look at the stars is priceless. We don't have that debt monkey on our backs!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #53

Three big ones: Paid off the mortgage. Child support and alimony ended (at last). I charge my live-in girlfriend to stay here.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Insulated my attic. $30 off a/c bill and more comfortable. Got a thermostat with a remote so I can adjust temperature to upstairs comfort. Both these probably won't pay for themselves before I move but I claim victory anyway.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #55

Do almost all home maintenance myself
Don't eat out as much as we used to
Don't drive as much as we used to
Turned down heat in winter, AC up in summer
Negotiate cable bill
Still using company cell phone

Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #56

Got a roommate who cooks! The additional food costs for a third person pale in comparison to how much we used to spend going out when I didn't feel like cooking.
And free pet sitting when we travel.

We do a lot of the other things listed here, as well, especially the old cars and DIY home and car repairs.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Just fired my f*nancial advis*r for my retirement $ by rolling over 401K to self-directed IRA -- saving 1% a year-- enough to pay for my health insurance.

Living in small house.

Buying classic stuff -- particularly furniture and clothes. The classics never are out of date, and have everything to do with style, not with fashion. Much of these things were bought used -- eBay, etc.

Am a DIY fanatic. Won't risk doing plumbing or electrical, but all else is fair game. It ain't hard, just requires patience and practice (and several YouTube how-to videos!)

Like many others, dumped cable and use Netflix.

Buy used books or classics for free or a buck on amazon Kindle.

Have several rich friends who love house guests. Cook, clean up and/or treat to a great meal at a local restaurant. Plenty of beach time that way.

Travel off season -- always.

Strop my Gillette multi-blade razor on an old pair of jeans hanging in bath closet. Blade lasts me 4-6 months (YMMV -- I grow light stubble -- if you are hairy, it'll only last 3 months!)

Costco.

Bargain for the big ticket items. Most vendors will knock off 10-15%.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #58

We paid off all our debts, including mortgage. We have vehicles that are over 10 years old and we keep them maintained. We only go out to eat about 2x per week and often split meals, because most places serve huge portions. Since retirement, we don't use the dry cleaners. We get several quotes for any jobs we have done. Recently, we were getting quotes of $1400-1500 for tree trimming, then a neighbor who owns a landscape business gave us the name of the company he uses and they charged $600. Plus they did a great job. Just having the time to be conscious of what we are spending has helped to painlessly reduce our expenses.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #59

Moving to a no income tax state can put an extra $5K-10K in your pocket each and every year. WADR, beats having to diddle with the thermostat!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Moving to a no income tax state can put an extra $5K-10K in your pocket each and every year. WADR, beats having to diddle with the thermostat!
But then, one needs to balance that tax with the cost of selling the home, moving, buying new home, making new friends, the cost of flying home to visit relatives, etc...

Perhaps it is best to keep on working. One then has money to pay tax and still gets to keep plenty to run a cool AC.

Tags
cost cutting, expenses, saving