Join Early Retirement Today

Live for today
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Live for today

I've decided I'll crank up the spending a bit. A <3% SWR seems too low when I think of the things that have happened to my friends lately.

1) A few weeks ago, the DH of a friend with brain cancer told us that "treatment isn't working, nature will take it's course". She is 54.
2) A few days ago, a good friend died while on a European vacation. He was 53.

I am a lot older than that. Firecalc suggests that even if I live to be really old, my kids will be really happy when the inevitable happens. Screw the kids, I am we are about fill the bucket.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry to hear of your recent reminders of our mortality, kumquat. Life is so unpredictable - at least in the short term.

I struggle with the same thinking you are going through. Do I hold on in case I live a really long time or do I open the purse strings a bit and live now? I vacillate between the two schools of thought.

One thing that consoles me is that I've built in lots of back ups to my ER plan. With that in mind, I've been tending toward the open purse strings lately. DW and I just went to a "free" Senior fair and watched a cook-ware demonstration. She fell in love with the product and was hinting that she wanted to purchase a set. Though it's not in the "budget", I encouraged her to go ahead as she has never had a good set in her life. "If not now, when?" I asked her. (It wasn't cheap!)

By the way, we've more or less told our kids that we'll leave them a small token (if possible) but the rest goes to charity - if we don't spend it all which is our goal.

Let the good times roll!

Reminds me of my favorite version of the song by that name. Harry Nilsson died quite young (54??), so I think this song has an added urgency to it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your recent reminders of our mortality, kumquat.

Let the good times roll!
Ditto that!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Screw the kids, I am we are about fill the bucket.
Let me Google that for you:

"confronting ones mortality" - Google Search

Sample insight:
Quote:
Like virtually everything else in life, growing old has both an "Up" side and a "Down" side.

The "Down" side of aging is that the light at the end of the tunnel seems to get brighter and brighter each day. One's time on earth, thought to be infinite when young, becomes increasingly more fragile with the passing of years.

The "Up" side of liver spots is that what is important in life become clearer to you, and as a corollary, that which is unimportant loses its ability to influence. At times it is embarrassing for me to reflect on what I used to find concerning or worrying; life becomes simpler as the sand runs through the hourglass.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've decided I'll crank up the spending a bit. A <3% SWR seems too low when I think of the things that have happened to my friends lately.
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe something like 3.5% would allow you to enjoy life a little more right now, assuming there are things that you want and yet have been doing without.

3.5% would be cautious enough that you would not be denying your normal, apparently very frugal, outlook on spending.

So, whatcha gonna get?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, whatcha gonna get?
Not sure. Unfortunately, we have pretty much everything we want. We're open to suggestions.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure. Unfortunately, we have pretty much everything we want. We're open to suggestions.
How about a nice trip this winter away from the frozen north. Want to meet up in Texas?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... We're open to suggestions.
Leisurely travel. I've never regretted a dime that I spent on travel. Spoil yourself with a customized trip.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #9

Good suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How about a nice trip this winter away from the frozen north. Want to meet up in Texas?
If beer and BBQ are involved, count me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Leisurely travel. I've never regretted a dime that I spent on travel. Spoil yourself with a customized trip.
I just got back from the Barret-Jackson auction in Vegas (maybe next time I'll buy something). Off to PV for a couple of weeks in November. Then??
Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Imagine how fresh and pleasant your house would seem with new paint, new carpet, new landscaping... I'm spending around $10K renovating and fixing up my house and property to sell. Now, I am thinking, "Why didn't I do this before, so I could enjoy it?" I am thinking of doing all this before moving into my next house (if it needs it), plus putting in new appliances.

Do you need want a new car?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Here's an old thread about what to spend money on....seems someone mentioned; sex, drugs and rock n' roll....

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ney-49360.html
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here's an old thread about what to spend money on....seems someone mentioned; sex, drugs and rock n' roll....
That is correct - the consensus was spend your money on experiences.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Donate to charity.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Customized travel -ditto Nothing better than splurging on a private guide somewhere.
Spending on your hobbies, whatever they are.
Spending on your home

Those of us in the accumulation pre-FIRE stage also struggle with this--how much should we withhold on pleasure now to live later. The balance is individual. But I can say in our case, despite the cost of our boat, I know she's worth it to our present and future selves.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ney-49360.html

Why didn't I think of that?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why didn't I think of that?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I very much enjoy giving away money to causes and organizations and individuals.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I very much enjoy giving away money to causes and organizations and individuals.
This is one of the many things I admire about you Khan.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
That is correct - the consensus was spend your money on experiences.
My wife and I have said this for years. We'd rather live somewhat modestly day to day and then splurge for a cruise, a nice vacation, a weekend in NYC going to plays, etc.

I've been reading more and more lately how "experiences" bring you more satisfaction than "stuff." I think my wife and I figured that out a long time ago.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a good COLA'd pension, so we won't run out of money, but we decided that anything beyond that is getting spent. If we do this right, the kids won't get much when we go. My mom and dad have some money from inheritances (not millions or anything) and we have already determined that if they leave any to us, were going to spend it. You can't take it with you. Any money we give our kids will be given while we are alive so we can see them enjoy it.

Quote:
Bucket list! Make one and start tearing through it. I have all kinds of travel and experiences on it. Some pretty conventional, some not. How about Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp, Air Combat USA, or survival school (you know, like Survivorman)? They are on mine. I also have have stuff like drink in a real English/Scottish/Irish pub, enter a no-limit Texas hold'em tourny and take a swim in all four oceans (2 down). I even have go to a nude beach and go nude, but I have since done that. Life is short! You will regret the things you didn't do much more than trying something out of your comfort zone. You might just find you like it. We did and go to a nude resort every year, now.

Honestly, I came up with my list after a brush with death due to diverticulitis. Another few hours and my colon would have abscessed and then who knows? A friend drying suddenly at 47 just impressed the importance of it all the more. His wife is full of regrets over the stuff they never got to do. they thought they would have many happy years in retirement, but he died 5 years short.

Go crazy. If you want to buy something buy it. How about Corvette, a Harley, or a 55 Chevy? A grand piano? A kick-butt gaming computer, a home theater, an iPad? Buy something and do something new. Buy a boat and take up fishing or waterskiing or a guitar and learn to play (did that one too).

Even if you don't want to spend a lot of money, there are plenty of things you can do. But since you do, have fun!!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote