Join Early Retirement Today

Live music cities?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Live music cities?

I love live music, but can only think of three cities that are known for it in America: Austin, Texas (rock, country, little of everything); Nashville, Tennessee (country mainly, I think); and Memphis, Tennessee (blues).
Are there any other well known cities that have a ton of live music venues out there than I am missing?:confused:
What's with Tennessee? Note that they have TWO cities devoted to live music? If their darn taxes overall didn't add up to so much.....(dreaming)
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #2

What about Detroit. or New Orleans

I thought Tennessee overall tax bite was pretty good.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much any big city. LA, New Orleans, New York, Bay Area, Chicago--even Seattle has a lot. The cities you mentioned have very successfully commercialized a "brand", but very good live music is all over. Also, often their is a purely local high quality scene that is much more LBYM friendly than places that draw a lot of tourists.

If you like jazz or funk give New Orleans a shot.

Ha
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

When I have lived in Chicago that city did get many really up and comers there, so I was able to see many before they really hit it big...and saw them for cheap, also.
Houston, however, has zip in music really. Why go to Houston when Austin is only a few hours away and a Music Capital to boot.
Just investigating cities with great live music venues is all. I'd love to be in or near one.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any big college town usually has some fun live music venues.

Athens, Georgia comes to mind which produced bands like REM, B-52's and Indigo Girls to name a few.

Music of Athens, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #6

Orchidflower,

Yep. Athens is loaded. People come from everywhere to become part of the live music scene in a host of venues, from bars to several performance halls. The biggest is contemporary rock music of course, as REM, B-52's and Indigo Girls started here as Trek mentioned. But there's bluegrass, country, opera, (Going to see La Traviata next month), blues, big name singers, talent nights etc. And that doesn't include the University of Georgia performances with classical guest performers from around the world, UGA student performances and community choral groups. I've played or sung with quite a few different groups myself through the years, and I'll probably expand my participation and viewing as I begin to get a little more time in the evenings. And with roughly 100,000 population, which includes the 35000 students, the size is about right.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #7

Tennessee State income tax, for me since my main tax would be on investments, coupled with their high sales tax, made Tennessee pretty high compared to (yes..) Texas. It seems when you have interest and dividends taxed--unless someone can give me a wonderful way to get around it and still make money--I get nailed, and find I am ultimately better off in one of the 5 no State tax States. Sigh..
My friend from Augusta always told me Georgia was cheap to live in, and I know that Athens rates high on many studies--especially for retirees--to live in. Must check that one out, also.
Boy! When I am thru with my duties here...this gal is going to travel alot and see all these neat places!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Houston, however, has zip in music really. Why go to Houston when Austin is only a few hours away and a Music Capital to boot.
Houston has great blues clubs, Zydeco clubs, and plenty of salsa. You may not comfortable in many of the places though.

Ha
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

as metioned prev. Los angeles is very good for live music.
lots of small places with great diverse music. lot's of world music
too which many other cities sometimes lack.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Tennessee State income tax, for me since my main tax would be on investments, coupled with their high sales tax, made Tennessee pretty high compared to (yes..) Texas. It seems when you have interest and dividends taxed--unless someone can give me a wonderful way to get around it and still make money--I get nailed, and find I am ultimately better off in one of the 5 no State tax States. Sigh..
My friend from Augusta always told me Georgia was cheap to live in, and I know that Athens rates high on many studies--especially for retirees--to live in. Must check that one out, also.
Boy! When I am thru with my duties here...this gal is going to travel alot and see all these neat places!
I see. We have very little taxable investments so I didnt consider that angle. Tenn and MO are on our to see lists for future retirement areas.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #11

My gosh, haha, where did you find any good music in Houston? I was there 22 years and went to various venues, but the quality of the music was sub-par. I have no idea what you are talking about, but maybe you know some secrets I don't? I never found anything to brag about in 22 years that I could go to on any regular basis and listen to good music in Houston. I guess what I am tactfully trying to say is, "WTF are you talking about?"
And now that I am too old to do anything about it, I find that I would have been much better off in retirement if I didn't have investments but had a pension instead. Too late now...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #12

Lincoln Center?

Carnegie Hall?

heck, CBGBs? (back in the day)

We've got some of that live music here in NYC!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Lincoln Center?

Carnegie Hall?

heck, CBGBs? (back in the day)

We've got some of that live music here in NYC!
Fillmore East, also back in the day...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #14

Gonna be hard to beat Austin. I lived there 15 years.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #15

Well, that's encouraging, martyb. I KNOW Austin has alot of top acts that haven't quite made it to the bigtime, so you can see them cheaper. But I may be the only silver haired old lady rocking out with the U. of Texas students there...but, what the heck!
I have always heard L.A. had the BEST music ever. I think the musicians who want to really hit the bigtime head there when they feel ready. Lucky people in L.A., eh?
And, yes, I concede on Houston having bad music on one issue: Tejano and Salsa are tops there.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Denver looked good the couple of times I went out there. Lots of venues
I DREAM of going to Austin. Memphis and Nashville are truly awesome!
There are some good venues in Charlotte NC and Asheville NC--really supportive communities for good live music.

I can say with authority that there is nowhere in South Carolina to regularly hear good live music.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #17

Try Portland oregon of all places.

Home of:
Custis Salgado-------------------blues
Paul deLay (now deceased)-------blues
Pink Martini----------------------eclectic vocal/piano/combo group
Michael Allan Harrison------------new age pop
Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #18

PS To find out more about Pink Martini, check them out at:

p i n k m a r t i n i**|**the scoop on pink martini
Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 AM   #19

Boston was excellent.. again, college town.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #20

Delaware Water Gap

Delaware Water Gap Celebration of the Arts - Home
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote