Join Early Retirement Today
There was a time in my life
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
Send a message via Skype™ to Isadora
There was a time in my life

when I thought I would like to live on a boat for a year. Someone already mentioned this, living in a large city on the water - convenient, unique, less expensive perhaps.

As time passes I realize that is one dream that I'll have to pass on as an adventure. As a permanent living arrangement I don't think so. For the same reasons others have mentioned - boring and would feel like a prisoner...besides, where would I be without my cats?

Having always been a city girl I'm still amazed at myself how quickly and favorably I've taken to the country. I live in our childhood home (LONG story) at the end of town, at the end of a dead-end street, tucked between two streams at the bottom of a hill - all this and only 45 km from the capital city, Budapest. My cats have never been happier, I'm learning gardening and the air is fresh. This year I'm planning to start a crop of asparagus and perhaps learn to make cheese as there are still a few producers in the village with cows.

Plan for the long term and always remain flexible. Life is constantly changing.

Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting first post, Isadora. Welcome.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a similar idea to "The World" cruise ship that was launched maybe 5 years ago. For a couple of million $ you get a 1200sq foot suite. The ship constantly travels the world staying in port for periods up to a week or two. There would also be pretty hefty fees to pay ongoing.
Sounded pretty good to us at first but we agreed that it would get pretty boring pretty fast. I suspect the whole idea has taken a bit of a hit due to the financial crises. The river boat sounds even less appealing.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
I did some checking into this and it turns out that you can buy a 2/4/6/12 month ownership. For us a 2 month deal may be good, it costs $54.6k with a $1600 HOA. I could see doing January and February tooling around the warmer part of the country. They are sending me the info. Doing that and the RV'ing thing around north America for a few months and then hanging around MA in the Summer sounds fun. FYI New England has very nice summer.

Just Trekking thru!
In-control is offline   Reply With Quote