Join Early Retirement Today

Living in a floating condo on a riverboat
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in a floating condo on a riverboat

Do any of you plan to live in a floating condo?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We talked about this after seeing the video on CNN and thought it was interesting but would get dull after a while. We have always talked about getting a houseboat and cruising down the Mississippi.

I wonder if they can really sell out the boat? If they don't, the HOA fees would be sky high (and they already looked pretty high to me!)
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Do any of you plan to live in a floating condo?
Not when it's in drydock!

I remember Billy & Akaisha talking with an expat who used to organize barge tours for RV'ers:
Capt Ray Gaines

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

I also saw the show on TV. The ship looked empty and sterile, and the passengers/residents seemed a bit bored. I wouldn't turn down that gourmet food, though.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I can stand 7-10 days on board. After that, I would want to walk other than around n circles. We also like to cook. Eating out gets boring really fast.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I read an article a while back about the same kind of idea, but in individual boats. Just a more affordable way to life downtown in big cities like NY and LA. Somewhat interesting.

This big floating barge/cruise ship idea sucks IMHO. I remember back when my mother did a tour around the world in the QEII. There were some who live on the ship for long periods of time (6 months to two years) and my mother described them as bored rich people without friends and family. This one seems to be focused on bored middle class people without friends and family

So this would not appeal to me for the same reasons I don't go on cruises and I don't stay in resorts. I just prefer doing my own thing and I would feel like a prisoner in those types of facilities.
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

I've always been interested in one of those European river cruises. It seems like a great way to visit the older parts of a number of cities without constantly packing and unpacking.

I'm less interested in American cities because I've visited more of them. I live in the midwest so many of these ports are just another midwestern city to me.

But, I could see it for one year. It gives my wife a chance to stay in and do her thing while I walk around. (I wonder if there's a place onboard to store a bicycle) If there were a proven resale market, I'd look to see if the numbers work out. As a new venture, way too expensive.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

That thing looks like a great big barge and not really something I could imagine calling home. I'll have to pass, but that will just give more opportunities for others wanting to live aboard the barge.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

They always say boats are just holes in the water where you throw your money. Don't know that I'd want to be responsible for paying HOA fees tied to such a thing.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Intruiging to me. I like the idea of moving around to different cities. I would assume though that it is not constantly on the move and would dock at a given city for a week or two at a time?
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

that would get old... i promise!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #12

Ugh! Looks horrible. Where's the freedom and fun in that. At least when you move into a retirement community on land you can come and go as you please, travel where you want, etc. Here you go where they go, see what they want you to see. Like an endless sightseeing tour.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Way too big. I'll stick with something simpler, and more LBYM.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Way too big. I'll stick with something simpler, and more LBYM.
I like the hot tub on the second floor!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Sometimes people like their home even if it floats. It might get old. I think it depends on the person. I could see doing it for a year or so then moving back to land.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I like the hot tub on the second floor!
I thought that was the beer cooler on the view deck...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #17

We went up to see the world's fair Expo 86 in Vancouver Canada and when I tried to book a room I was given the option of a Flotel. They tried to explain it to me but I was not interested. We stayed at the Westin on the water. When we went for a walk we saw all of these strange looking floating hotel rooms docked everywhere. I guess they needed extra capacity for the event.

I passed then and still feel the same way.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I thought that was the beer cooler on the view deck...
It all depends on what ya fill it with...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Intruiging to me. I like the idea of moving around to different cities. I would assume though that it is not constantly on the move and would dock at a given city for a week or two at a time?
Here's a pdf with a sample itinerary. I was surprised at the number of different stops - they say 155 over the course of a year. http://rivercitiescondos.com/media/p...uise_route.pdf

Their wording is "overnight stops" so they must travel during the day. On this idealized day they are moving from 8 am to 11 am. A typical day aboard River Cities
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

This would not be for me but, if you are at all interested in the notion read Shantyboat or Shantyboat journal by Harlan Hubbard. These books and a couple of manhattans are enough of an escape for me.
poorgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote