Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buying an old cheap Airstream, living in it for maybe a year and visiting all the places I am considering buying a home and working in is very appealing to me at some point in the future.
Thank you for pointing out internet sites on RVs. I am using them.
I see REWahoo has visited Austin, Texas, lately. If any of you haven't seen hippie women breastfeeding their babies in public or a good Peace bus in years--well, since the 60's--go to Austin. It's all still there. Insofar as I know, the only city in America that is still living part-time in the 60's.
McConaughey is a Dallas boy. And an individualist...obviously, one who smells badly, tho. A gal can only take so much of the "natural" odor...peee yuuuuuu!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #22

I think that would be a great plan, Orchidflower! One of my big dreams is to take the Airstream MH out to Austin to the City Limits music festival (wish we could go this year--what a great line-up) and then spend some time checking out all the cool little music venues.

And remember, you can go from my $9K Airstream to XYZ's $100k combo--like boats, cars, houses, etc--you can spend up to the sky if you want. We always got a kick out of having the same view living aboard a $13k little boat as did the $250k motoryacht anchored next to us!

I will always be the one going cheap on the depreciating assets
...still giving Rich a hard time
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #23

Ahh the Airstream Travel Trailer...much like living inside a Coors beer can.

We looked a all kinds of RVs and made our mistakes along the way. We now have a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It is HUGE but it suits our current desire for space and comfort while we spend long periods on the road or snowbird for the winter.

$1000/month is not all that much for a RV space in a popular area. I have seen some go for twice that. You do get water, sewer, and power and maybe cable TV for that price. RVing is not cheap but is one way to spend a lot of time in one place for a while and then move down the road at your own pace.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Full circle?

I still see these at music fests.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #25

Sandy, I swear if you could have seen the one we saw at Floydfest in July--it was a school bus, painted like that, with all the interior ripped out and just piles--piles--of people and clothes and stuff inside--if the cops had stopped them for a drug search, it would have taken DAYS to find anything in that mess. We get to see a lot of bus conversions at festivals, but this one never even started the conversion! Wish'd I'd had the camera.

What music festivals do you go to? We are looking for smaller (10k people) fests and have pretty wide music tastes, but always like Americana/Roots stuff. Never been to any of the really big ones, like Bonnaroo.
Sarah

Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we've lived for fifteen years nomadically, in RVs. Not an Airstream, although we have friends who have had them. The old Airstreams do, indeed, have a cult following, although the new ones are really kind of average, poor storage, cramped, etc. I think that for a lot of people, for years the Airstream represented going off to see the world, the Wally Byam caravans were publicized, and they just got a mystique about them.

It IS a wonderful life, if you are willing to do most of your accumulating of material goods in a brokerage account rather than with "stuff". We wouldn't trade it, and only old age and/or infirmity will have us hanging up our keys and settling down in one place.

LooseChickens
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

"If any of you haven't seen hippie women breastfeeding their babies in public or a good Peace bus in years--well, since the 60's--go to Austin."

Imagine, breast feeding a baby in public!

I wonder if Christ was breast fed in public? Do you suppose?

Was Austin in the Bible?

Probably not.

b.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #28

boont, I have no idea if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not, and, frankly, don't care; but, personally, I haven't seen a woman breastfeeding a baby since the 60's. It's alot better for the baby and mother, but, somehow, it seems to have slipped away from what I can tell. Pity.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #29

Orchidflower, have no fear, it is alive and well here in the south. I don't have a single friend who didn't breastfeed her baby for at least 6 months. SC isn't one of those "burka-wearing" kind of places, and women can pretty much breastfeed where they want. A funny story: a very young victorias secret employee told a woman in a local store that she couldn't breastfeed in a dressing room there (said it was indecent and she should go to the bathroom instead) and a huge hue and cry erupted. The chief of police went on record to say that any woman who needed to BF could come to the police station and be provided a private place.
Yeah, we don't have many hippies, but we do have lots of intelligent moms!
Sarah

Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dog bitting man is not a story - man bitting dog is.
Woman breast feeding a baby is not a story - man breast feeding a woman is.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #31

Glad bf is alive and well somewhere.
People laugh, but some of these old ways and old folk recipes to get well actually are better than the new drugs. Not always...but some of them are. BF is one of the better ways...but me, I don't have one friend or employee who BF their kid. Again, pity.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breast feeding is also alive & well in Florida .When I was working there was always a breast pump in the lounge and a bottle or two of breast milk in the fridge .