Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Living in an Air Stream RV?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in an Air Stream RV?

Was at the Dentist, so picked up--okay, I stole--his recent People magazine where there is a big article about actor Mathew McConoughay (spelling?). Anyway, he is a hottie...only 30 years too young.
He lives in a Malibu, California, RV park in an Air Stream RV. Little unusual, but not for him, I guess.
I started thinking about this, and wondered if anyone out there has ever done this?
He surfs all the time, so I guess his clothing needs are really pretty simplistic as I pulled up floor plans of smaller Air Streams and there seems to be one tiny little closet.
These RV's are, I guess, the creme de la creme of RV living; and look to be somewhere around $32K and up. He looks to have, from the photo, the $60K style; and it still is not very big. Has a tiny closet, tiny stove, and either a tiny shower or wash tub type thing--which has to be the size of an old steel or aluminum tub (the kind our great grandmas washed in).
The Malibu RV Park--can you imagine such a thing?--charges something like $1,030 to rent a space there each month. And that was the cheapest, I think.
You choose between an ocean view or a mountain view. I have no idea if that means you get free air conditioning on the ocean view and the mountain view is the hot one or not. Does anyone know?
I wonder what type of person rents there? Are they all actors? This does seem like a pretty clever way for someone like him who goes on location to live or, maybe, one of the FIRE's who wants to shuck homeownership...and owns very little material possessions.
Has anyone here ever seen it in Malibu?
Has anyone here ever lived like that in an Air Stream RV?
Personally, I'm fascinated by all this. And, other than an actor like him, seems like the answer for some of the people on this board who want to unburden themselves from most responsibilities like not cutting the grass and repairing the roof.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I've seen it driving down the PCH (Highway 1). It's on the right hand side if you're heading west, located a little up in the Santa Monica mountains but not far. I've always thought it was a great location for an RV park, with an expanded ocean view.

Now that I know what kind of hot neighbors live there, it's even more tempting!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
These RV's are, I guess, the creme de la creme of RV living;
We have a few full-timers around here who might not agree with that, but it's a totally personal thing.

Airstreams have an almost cult-like following. I don't know much about them but there are legions of people whose hobby or passion is restoring them, going to rallies and otherwise having a blast with the thing.

Travel trailers are the low-cost/high value end of RVing these days. For years there were serious concerns about the safety of pulling them in windy, hilly, underpowered vehicle conditions. With modern hitch technology I'm not sure whether this is as much of an issue.

The AS crowd seems like they have a great time. Our very own Sarah M has an old one which at last report they are perpetually working on .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend of mine came by this week to show me her AS which she bought used for what she considered to be a wonderful price (sorry don't remember what it was...maybe low $20s). I was all excited to see it. She told me the decor was not "granny" looking and that it was all very Ikea-like (she is 23 yrs younger than me). Ok, well maybe I like the "granny" stuff because I definitely didn't like the inside of hers.

I don't know how big the thing is but I was very claustrophobic while I was inside oohing and aahing over everything. It was tiny to me. I might be able to stand a weekend at the lake in it although I'm not sure. I'm into soft and plush, and there was not one soft surface in there, including the bed as far as I could tell when I sat on it. Felt like a pad on concrete. I kind of felt like I always thought I would feel inside a small submarine. But that was only a small one, and what do I know?

I have seen lots of others (not Airstreams) that were, of course, 3-4 times more expensive but also much more to my liking. It guess it is all in the eye of the beholder, and as Rich said, this is a tight club. As far as they are concerned there is just nothing else like an AS. It is almost as though you have automatic entree to a huge new group of "friends" if you own an AS.

The concept of living in an RV, traveling, meeting lots of new people . . . well that has always fascinated me too. Lots of people do it so there must be lots of advantages.

TG
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
She told me the decor was not "granny" looking and that it was all very Ikea-like (she is 23 yrs younger than me). Ok, well maybe I like the "granny" stuff because I definitely didn't like the inside of hers.
After spending 4+ months shopping for an RV, I came to the conclusion that the decor in most of them could be classified into two basic categories: Idaho farmhouse or French "warehouse"...not that I've ever seen the inside of a French warehouse of course.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #6

The Airstreams of the past (at 10 years or older) might have been the best built trailers. But today's Airstreams are at most average in quality. I have looked at so many new Airstreams, and the best I can say about the interior construction quality, workmanship, is fair. OK, make that poor.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Administrator

I am planning on Full Timing in an Airstream this fall. I won't be staying in one place but keep moving to see National & State Parks. I am hoping to get a bi-directional satellite connection and then create a wifi around so I can work while sitting outside near a lake, river or some other beautiful place.

You can learn a LOT about Airstreams at www.AIRForums.com which is a site I started in 2002. I also own a 1961 Airstream Bambi but it's not big enough and not restored so it will not work for me this fall. Right now my plan is to find a 2004 or 2005 unit that I can use for this trip and then put it back on the market. Interest payments on RVs are also tax deductible in the same manner as a 2nd home mortgage.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
A friend of mine came by this week to show me her AS
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
I came to the conclusion that the decor in most of them could be classified into two basic categories: Idaho farmhouse or French "warehouse"
I think I'm beginning to understand the appeal of these things...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My grandfather lived in his Airstream and traveled the country in the 1950s thru the 70s. He drove the Alcan (unpaved 1200 mile road) to Alaska to visit us more than once and parked it in the backyard for awhile.

When he was unable to drive he parked it in the backyard of his wife of 60 years and lived there until in his late 80s.

So I think he went from military housing to the Airstream until he died. I would love the idea but have 5 cats. (and a husband who would not do it).
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #10

Maybe Air Streams are kind of like the Harley-Davidson legends: you are automatically put into the cult if you get one, but, realistically, there are much better products out there to buy of the same nature?
Anyway, there is still some appeal to me about having an Air Stream-type life....only with a much cushier bed to sleep on. The idea of being free to move around--and move where you live--sounds intriguing and adventurous to me.
Maybe I was a traveling gypsy in a past life? Who knows? But it do sound fun in a good way.
(I wonder what Mathew McConoughay's father looks like?)
Sweetana3, your grandfather lived for 20 years in his Airstream? Well, then it CAN be done, I guess. Bet he has some doozy stories he would never tell his grandkids...chortle, snort!
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Orchidflower,
I'm pretty sure that Mathew McConoughay would not want to live in my Airstream! But while I live, I hope! (SC State motto)
Andy's Airforum is an EXCELLENT resource, we actually bought ours after seeing it listed there by one of his mods for sale. A great old girl, ours is a 1976 Airstream Argosy Motorhome, 28 feet long, with a 454 engine. With 85k miles on it when we got it, she cost just $9k.
By not investing much into the front end, so to speak, we have been able to determine if we'd want the BBD (bigger better deal) after FIRE. Truth is, like the old sailboat we owned before the motorhome, it is nice to have old stuff, enjoy it for a while, then move on to some new thing without taking too big of a depreciation hit (and that one is for you, Rich, after that comment about perpetually working on ours! but it is true, you dog!)

I would highly recommend having a motorhome for extended trips, but like the boat lifestyle, full-timing takes more something than my DH and I have. I like my house in the country, my dogs & cats, and some of the things you can't have in a boat or RV, like lots of books and an aquarium.
It is like the perpetual traveler mode--I just know how glad I was to get in my own bed after living aboard the sailboat for 3 months!

Go Airstream, join the cult, drink the coolaid, you'll never look back!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Truth is, like the old sailboat we owned before the motorhome, it is nice to have old stuff, enjoy it for a while, then move on to some new thing without taking too big of a depreciation hit (and that one is for you, Rich, after that comment about perpetually working on ours! but it is true, you dog!)
Touche. 8)

Old 08-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Orchidflower,

The full-time RV lifestyle is very much flourishing in the U.S.

If you'd like to investigate further, check out Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers and RV.Net : RV.Net – The Leading RV Community, Club, RV Travel and Information Source for Recreational Vehicle Camping as both of these comprehensive sites have many full-timers lurking to help with your curiosities. The Message Boards on these sites are very large.

Once our daughter exits the house, we will be pursuing partial-time status (me the more "full" side of the equation / the wife the more "part time" side).

I've got 8-10 more years to get her to see the light though.
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked at Airstreams just to get one for mini-trips every now and then (I'm a ways from ER). They are expensive and really expensive to rent and only a few places around the U.S. rent them. I gave up on owning one of those.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #15

You guys talking about Airstreams brings back memories of when my parents and I used to go camping in a really tiny camper back in the '60's. There were many times that we camped in a park with Airstreams and my thinking...oh man wouldn't those be nice...those people must be RICH! That's what I think of when I hear Airstream.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Could this type of living be incorporated/transformed into the convesion of (now dying) SUV/Minivans - a logical next step perhaps for the boomer retireee/RV'er.
maxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
Could this type of living be incorporated/transformed into the convesion of (now dying) SUV/Minivans - a logical next step perhaps for the boomer retireee/RV'er.
Full circle?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

There you go!! Needs to be upgraded/updated to the 21st century!

You know, I could have sworn this is the same VW "kombi" I passed on one of the Montana highways at over 115 mph before they imposed the speed limits.

But seriously, perhaps Chrysler can extend the Minivan concept to "Boomer Van" concept.
maxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #19

"design within reach"
Design Within Reach - The Design Within Reach Airstream Trailer

P.S. I'd heard McConaughey was living a bit skankily.. (no offence in general to RVers...)
Quote:
...says he doesn't use cologne or deodorant, because he doesn't want to smell like someone else. He said, "People say I ought to start wearing it."[
wiki
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to admit I have an Airstream. (our second actually).. We bought it for a "diffrent" type of vacation. I travel considerably almost always by air and you get tired of Airports / hotels and restaurants. It's kind of fun having campfires and driving to diffrent places with lots of stuff (golf clubs, bicycles,pets, games,sports equipment etc.) Normally we spend 2 - 4 weeks in Hawaii vacationing and take the Airstream out for a week or two and a several weekends in the spring / summer and fall and sometimes winter ! We spent over 100k for the Airstream/ truck combination so this is not a cheap toy and we only use the truck to pull the airstream. I like the flexibility of a trailer and have seriously considered moving to the motorhome route but I think the Airstream is fun... We are members of the Airstream club (Wally Byan Caravan Club International is the official name) and attend a couple of the get togethers a year. Some people use it as their only form of entertainment, an that's ok with me, but I kinda like going to Hawaii too. Would I live in it .. No .. but it is much more comfortable that a tent...
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote