Living in the Now

I'm definitely a "planner", in the sense that I occasionally make a list of things to remind myself to actually do/accomplish things that I've deemed important. But I'm also perfectly happy to spend the day doing whatever.

I'm definitely a "planner", in the sense that I occasionally make a list of things to remind myself to actually do/accomplish things that I've deemed important. But I'm also perfectly happy to spend the day doing whatever.

I make daily lists too but that's because I'm ADD and I'll forget two minutes after I thought of something so that's just an organization issue.

I am a habitual planner for the above reason. It gives me order in a chaotic mind. However I have narrowed it down to our trips. It's just the flights and lodging. During the days I have nothing planned so I can get the spontaneous parts of life.

In my daily life like today where it's raining and cold I can just take life as it comes.

I need to have a more organized planner for trips. This happened in the past few years, I meant to cancel something and did. Luckily one had a reminder and I cancelled just in time. I always book the major part, to and from my house to destination, but in between destinations, I sometime didn't book anything in advance.

A year and a half into ER and probably the biggest surprise is how little I think about the future. Certainly I still make some plans for travel and the like, but day to day I find myself thinking about little more than the pleasant mundane details of the day: where I'll go biking or hiking, what sort of entertainment or food to enjoy with the DW - and not much else, rinse and repeat the next day and the next...

I aspire to be like you! I'm on a career break that may or may not become ER, and I am feeling antsy now that the initial euphoria/decompression has passed.

I miss the energy of work, although not the stresses and restrictions. I used to have a purpose, and now I'm at loose ends.

I'm hoping the whole "enjoying each day as it comes" thing gets easier! If not, I may need to go back to work.

And I'd rather not do that! [emoji16]

I'm glad you've found your Zen.

SIS

Last edited by a moderator:
I aspire to be like you! I'm on a career break that may or may not become ER, and I am feeling antsy now that the initial euphoria/decompression has passed.

I miss the energy of work, although not the stresses and restrictions. I used to have a purpose, and now I'm at loose ends.

I'm hoping the whole "enjoying each day as it comes" thing gets easier! If not, I may need to go back to work.

Consider the route I've taken:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/er-surprise-a-little-work-boosts-appreciation-86761.html

You'll notice I got only one response, indicating it's not the most popular idea around here! :LOL: But it might work (so to speak) for you.

It has been 28 years since we retired. The very early days... first year or so, we had to stay on top of what we were doing. Selling our home, buying two snowbird homes, in the campground and in FL, keeping notes and making spreadsheets to check our numbers. Then "fun" took over. Busy 16 hours a day... socializing, partying, and just loving life.

It was really not until 2012 that we settled down at our home here in Liberty Village. The 6 & 6 became more than we wanted to handle. Reaching 75 years old, it was easier to be in one place, plus, the onset of memory problems means that it takes more concentration to do the stuff that was second nature before.

Now, the planning is on the refrigerator calendar for our CCRC. The planning is not long term, for trips etc, but more towards standardizing what we do, how we organize things like the refrigerator, the pantry, the cleaning materials, the washing, the closet and garage storage, and the times when necessary things must be done... Bill paying, doctor visits, planned visits from our kids... Simple things, that were literally "nothings" just a short time ago, but a standardization that simplifies living and keeps the mind clear of worries and the nitpicking thoughts about maybe forgetting something important.

So the topic was "living in the now". I guess you could say that our planning is for ways to make that easier. Both of us are enjoying the most worry free years of our lives.

Super interesting topic. Glad I'm not the only one that made this shift after retiring. I never would have predicted it. I was a little concerned my mind was going to pot! I just can't make myself obsessively plan and research like I used to. Finances are on auto-pilot and I have no desire to monitor them as closely as I did prior to retirement.

I'm also less cheap than I was when I was working making a six-figure salary. I'll often spend a little more if it means added convenience or avoiding having to spend hours hunting for a bargain.

And I'm hardly on this forum anymore! I used to read it religiously. Need to get back to it as it's a tremendous support network.

Last edited:
I hope I can get out the planner mode once I sell my house and move. (Other than for travel.) Planning has been my life even down to Planner being in my previous work title. Now that I have FIRED I am no longer obsessing about financial planning though.

Stay flexible. Nothing is forever. We sold our home, put everything in storage, and travelled for six months.

Our intent was to return home and buy an smaller home. We came back, but four years later we are still in a rental condo. It has been four years of travel, twice a year, 2-3 months at a time.

We move next month. Finally bought something. Fortunately we have not unpacked everything so it will be an easy move. We are shopping for furniture. One big difference...if we like it we buy it. We don't bother shopping around as much. Possessions are no longer as attractive.

As each day passed I find that we are both living in the here and now. We are updating our wills tomorrow since it has been 10 years. Our children are older we now have grandchildren so it is time.

Back
Top Bottom