Join Early Retirement Today

Living on a boat
Old 04-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Living on a boat

I met a guy today in Florida that was also from Wisconsin (Green Bay)... he had retired from the railroad and first traveled with a RV. Then 2 years ago he bought a old wooden 38 ft CC and lives on it in Key largo. The boat is anchored off a marina and he pays I think $120 a month to park his car and you the showers (he has a dingy to get from boat to shore). He only gets one Miami TV station, no phone, no electric (boat has a generator) but does have intertnet access through a phone company but does not have a cell phone

He said he stayed on his boat during two hurricanes although he was tied up in some sheltered cove in the area!

He said he was born in 1946.

Gonzo
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Living on a boat
Old 04-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

It works well! We did it for several years, and knew hundreds of others doing it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'm not so sure i'm even going to stay in my house if we get another hurricane never mind on a boat. when i trade house for boat i'll be spending hurricane seasons in cruising grounds like downeast, upstate n.y., great lakes & canada, or maybe even green bay. or the southern caribbean to points further south. i don't know why anyone would ride one out in a boat.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

don't think i could ever live in an rv or a boat. kudos to anyone who can, think i need a bit more of a sense of permanancy myself.
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #5

According to local news sources, Phoenix has the largest number of boats per capita of any city in the US. No one lives on them, though. They only tow them to the lakes to our north each weekend, use them as floating bars, then drive them into each other on the way back home.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i'm not so sure i'm even going to stay in my house if we get another hurricane never mind on a boat. when i trade house for boat i'll be spending hurricane seasons in cruising grounds like downeast, upstate n.y., great lakes & canada, or maybe even green bay. or the southern caribbean to points further south. i don't know why anyone would ride one out in a boat.
Most (not all) boaters I know spend winters in the warm weather in Florida and the Bahamas, and are now, or soon will be, on their annual migration north to above the hurricane zone. Not only self-preservation -- the insurance rates skyrocket if you keep your boat south of the Chesapeake after June 1 and before about Oct 1.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
According to local news sources, Phoenix has the largest number of boats per capita of any city in the US.* No one lives on them, though.* They only tow them to the lakes to our north each weekend, use them as floating bars, then drive them into each other on the way back home.* *

I fly-fish with a buddy of mine in a partricular location, about 4 or 5 times a year that is a feeder stream for a large popular boating and fishing lake.

We start at first light, and wrap it up about noon. There's an elevated outdoor restaurant overlooking the boat launchig area, that we always make a point to go to.

The lions share of the boaters are rookies, and are already feeling no pain, (Coming out of the City), and attempting to cram as much time into 2 days as they can.

The entertainment value at the boat launching area isn't available at any price, nowhere, nohow.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm working on it. My wife isn't quite ready to lose a "home base" but she's fine with spending a lot of time on the water. I'm working on getting the boat shipshape so we can push off. Had planned to leave in November but circumstances prevented that. Now I think we'll push off for the Northern climes in a month or two.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
The entertainment value at the boat launching area isn't available at any price, nowhere, nohow.
I so get that! We enjoy watching the newbie weekenders setting up their RVs. What chaos! Although they usually aren't in the "feeling no pain" state, thank goodness.

Audrey
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
don't think i could ever live in an rv or a boat.* kudos to anyone who can, think i need a bit more of a sense of permanancy myself.*
just think of it as that beachfront home you were looking for. pick a beach, any beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
Most (not all) boaters I know spend winters in the warm weather in Florida and the Bahamas, and are now, or soon will be, on their annual migration north to above the hurricane zone. Not only self-preservation -- the insurance rates skyrocket if you keep your boat south of the Chesapeake after June 1 and before about Oct 1.
sounds wonderful (except for florida of which i've had enough). i want that life soooo badly. i forget the latitude but i think there is also safe harbor south caribbean (although there was that one freak hurricane in the south atlantic last year or year before.) so if you winter the caribbean instead of the bahamas you can run further south instead of heading north to escape hurricaneville. (and while down there i hear it's good to refuel in venezuela). what a great lifestyle that all is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin41
I'm working on it. My wife isn't quite ready to lose a "home base" but she's fine with spending a lot of time on the water. I'm working on getting the boat shipshape so we can push off.
good for you. that's so gr8. i'm about 5 years away. can't wait.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

We started ER a couple of months ago and moved onto our boat here in the PNW. Plan to sell our house this summer and spend 2-3 years drifting around on the boat. We love the freedom and adventure of traveling to different ports and being able to move around freely. It’s not for everyone but if you’re thinking about it, go for it. It’s a great life style.
AFloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #12

I love the idea but I couldn't get DW on a boat at gunpoint!

Old 04-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Your first problem is you are talking to and actually listening to someone from Wisconsin...Let the games begin. 8)
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

One thing a lot of people do is to use their boat as a vacation home. In the PNW people will use their boat in the summer and go south in the winter to a condo or do the RV thing. If your boat is in Florida, you can use it in the winter and have a home up north for the summer. We may try that in a couple of years to get out of the cold winters up north.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #15

I have 3 people that work for me that live year round on their boats. If we were in Fl I wouldn't think anything of it but up here in MA is another thing. They all seem to enjoy it and get thru the winters just fine.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFloat
We started ER a couple of months ago and moved onto our boat here in the PNW. Plan to sell our house this summer and spend 2-3 years drifting around on the boat. We love the freedom and adventure of traveling to different ports and being able to move around freely. It’s not for everyone but if you’re thinking about it, go for it. It’s a great life style.
What are the specs of your boat?

SWR
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our boat is a 1983 Defever 44. It is a power boat with 2 diesel engines. It's 44 feet in length, has a nice queen size walk around bed, shower, wi-fi, dish-tv, furnance, washer/dryer, etc. Basically everything a small apartment would have except a dishwasher. It's very comfortable but small. We figure it's around 550-600 sq feet of living space. Keeps you from buying a lot of junk. And did I mention that we have 3 cats living with us? It's cozy but fun.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #18
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
I love the idea but I couldn't get DW on a boat at gunpoint!
It took me 30 years, but getting a boat was DW's idea...

Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

So true.* The best weekend entertainment around.* Watching a husband and wife load or unload their boat is priceless (best when there is some wind and a little chop)!*
Old 04-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog

Quote:

So true. The best weekend entertainment around. Watching a husband and wife load or unload their boat is priceless (best when there is some wind and a little chop)!
With this I have to agree. When we were ancored in St. Marten or the Virgins it was a daily show watching others try to ancor, take sail, stop, start, fall overboard, bathe, you name it, it was on show and most entertaining.

SWR