Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Living on a lot less
Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Good post, Greg.*

I don't worry about Murphy's Law.* I worry constructively.* I know that Murphy's Law exists and that it will find me every chance it gets.* When it does, I won't be surprised or disappointed but I will be ready.
I'm pretty sure one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law is that no matter how many possible things you consider that can go wrong, there will always be another one that develops.

Further application of Murphy tells us that the new possibility will be worse than all the ones you considered.

And don't forget, every solution breeds a new problem.
. . .
But smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

As the original poster of the question --- I am not hearing very favorably to making such a drastic cut. Not what I wanted to hear. But, I'm a realist too, so I guess I'll just join the rest of you and continue to worry.

I have cut back on the "eating out" portion of my budget (and I don't like it one bit), but my food bill is still quite high, so maybe I need to eat oatmeal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinners once in a while too. (ugh)
Thought this would be a little easier.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
As the original poster of the question --- I am not hearing very favorably to making such a drastic cut.* Not what I wanted to hear.* But, I'm a realist too, so I guess I'll just join the rest of you and continue to worry.

I have cut back on the "eating out" portion of my budget (and I don't like it one bit), but my food bill is still quite high, so maybe I need to eat oatmeal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinners once in a while too. (ugh)
Thought this would be a little easier.
Just curious, how high do you consider "quite high," if you don't mind saying? We're spending about $125 a week, and I think I could get to $100 without feeling it, but maybe that's still pretty high compared to what some have said.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I'm pretty sure one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law is that no matter how many possible things you consider that can go wrong, there will always be another one that develops.

Further application of Murphy tells us that the new possibility will be worse than all the ones you considered.

And don't forget, every solution breeds a new problem.
. . .
But smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.* *
SG, just show this post at any submariner's bar in the country and drink all night for free. You're one of us!

I wouldn't brag about your new status to the neighbors or family. They wouldn't understand and they might try to hurt your feelings...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #45

Reply to Sheryl

I estimate they are running $150 per week or more. Now that includes paper products, garbage can liners , cleaners, etc and dog food for two large dogs. In fact, I would say that is a conservative estimate. I have had some difficulty tracking exactly, as I sometimes buy other things if I go to Costco for example or Wall Mart Super store. So I know it's not all groceries. I can look on my computer and see what I spent, but it's convaluted with other stuff. I think I may need to start saving receipts and add it up monthly.

I cook twice a day now. (Lunch and dinner) Lunch, sometimes tuna fish sandwich, sometimes oatmeal (my son loves oatmeal. Have a variety of things for dinner, chichen, fish, steak, hamberger (the usual I think) Usually fix one starch and one vegitable. I assume that is somewhat normal.

I am trying to wean my son off soda and get him to drink the ice tea I now make, but he is resisting. He drinks a lot of diet soda. I tried lime aide, but he wouldn't go for it.

I'd love to see a typical weeks meals for the poster that said he now spends only $300 a month for groceries. Maybe he means, just food items and not all that other stuff we need.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been thinking about this same topic the past few days. *I've been trying to figure out how much longer I'll work before I tell Mega Corp to shove it. *As everyone here knows, how soon you can retire is a direct function of how much you spend in retirement. *I have a good handle on how much I'll likely have saved but I have never really tracked my expenses that closely. *So over the past few days I've taken a closer look at what I spend and, more importantly, what I will likely spend once I retire.

My conclusion is that I don't think I will spend any less in retirement than I do now. *I've read several different places, including on these boards, about all the ways you save money once you no longer work. *But the nominal savings I get by not commuting to work, not having suits dry cleaned, etc. is completely overwhelmed by the cost of health insurance that I will bear directly once I quit my job. *I also expect my travel budget to increase pretty significantly - I'm not quitting work so I can sit home and watch Oprah, after all.

I started thinking about other ways I could save money, but most of them involved cutting back on things that I enjoy. *Is that really the answer? *For some people it may be. *But the way I see it, I've already sacrificed to put myself in a position to retire early. *If I push harder I may get to the finish line earlier, but once I'm there I may find that I've given up too much to enjoy it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reply to Sheryl

I estimate they are running $150 per week or more.* Now that includes paper products, garbage can liners , cleaners, etc and dog food for two large dogs.* In fact, I would say that is a conservative estimate.
I heard a program on NPR discussing "Hunger In America". They interviewed some Public Health Doc from Tufts Medical School and BCH. He and his colleagues created a "barebones but nutritionally adequate" food budget for a lower income family of four. $597 per month. He then tried to buy the items on his list in suburban Boston. He found the items, but in every case even after quite a lot of effort he wound up spending over $600 per month.

I read the food budgets on this forum, and I think, "Ya sure, you betcha." I shop carefully, in several stores, almost never buy meat not on special, and I spend $325 to $350 or so per month, for one 64 yo man only. If broccoli is cheap, I get broccoli. If cauliflower is cheap, I get that. This does not include cleaning supplies and stuff I get at Wal-Mart.* I got that down from $400 to $425 several years ago, in spite of the fact that food prices have increased. If I had to spend less, even at my age, I would go back to work.

The Doc from Boston did say that it may be easier (read possible) to do in some sections of the country.

Ha
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM   #48

Quote:
. . .I am trying to wean my son off soda and get him to drink the ice tea I now make, but he is resisting.* He drinks a lot of diet soda.* I tried lime aide, but he wouldn't go for it. . .
Try this. Buy club soda in the large 2 liter bottles. It typically costs less than half what soda costs if you shop for it. Add real lemon and sucralose to taste. Satisfies the craving for carbonation and sweet at much lower cost.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I read the food budgets on this forum, and I think, "Ya sure, you betcha." I shop carefully, in several stores, almost never buy meat not on special, and I spend $325 to $350 or so per month, for one 64 yo man only. If broccoli is cheap, I get broccoli. If cauliflower is cheap, I get that. This does not include cleaning supplies and stuff I get at Wal-Mart. I got that down from $400 to $425 several years ago, in spite of the fact that food prices have increased. If I had to spend less, even at my age, I would go back to work.
Ha
My average monthly grocery (food and non-food) bill this year was under $150. I don't buy red meat but stock up on 4 to 6 weeks supply of chicken .49/lb and wild salmon $3/lb when it's on sale and freeze them. I also buy brand name tuna 7 oz cans (BB, chicken, starkist) on sale for .60 to .69. and buy a 3 to 4 month supply.
Fruits and vegetable are pretty inexpensive especially when they are on sale.

MJ
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
My average monthly grocery (food and non-food) bill this year was under $150. I don't buy red meat but stock up on 4 to 6 weeks supply of chicken .49/lb and wild salmon $3/lb when it's on sale and freeze them. I also buy brand name tuna 7 oz cans (BB, chicken, starkist) on sale for .60 to .69. and buy a 3 to 4 month supply.
Fruits and vegetable are pretty inexpensive especially when they are on sale.

MJ
You must know what you spend, so I stand corrected. One thing however- I live on the NW coast, and I have not seen wild salmon except pinks for anywhere close to $3/# in at least ten years. This past summer the cheapest king or sockeye or even silver (Coho) I could get -on sale- was $6 or $7 per pound. I never saw halibut under $9. You should thank your fishmonger, he is selling it to you well under his cost.

Ha
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a big project for me - for the first time ever I've been keeping track of grocery spending very closely.* Over the last few months we have averaged about $100/week for two people - that includes entertaining friends with dinner or snacks about once a week but excludes alcohol.* We also eat dinner out about once a week.

Now that we are overseas we shop mostly at the military commissary which has great prices on some things and average on others.* When I was in California and Washington State I found incredible deals on produce and meat at the local Mexican grocery stores.* Grocery Outlet stores, Costco, and Smart & Final also had good deals.

Breakfast:* Oatmeal or Kahsi cereal (bought with coupon) during week, waffles and bacon on weekends.

Lunch: Leftovers, soup, or sandwiches.* Husband often gets $.99 burrito w/no cheese or sauce at Taco Bell (blech) for lunch.

Dinner:* Varies a lot, but* last 3 meals were 1) Navy bean soup made with the leftover Thanksgiving ham and homemade popovers.* 2) Moussaka made mostly from eggplant ($1.39/lb) and ground turkey ($1.09/lb.) served with peas and 3) Spaghetti (whole wheat and $1.65/lb) with Classico sauce ($.99/jar bought with coupon) and salad.

Snacks: yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, bread, cereal, popcorn (not microwave)

We almost never buy beef, and seldom buy pork.* Chicken gets used in stir fry dishes and ground turkey in casseroles.* We eat vegetrian about 3 days a week (chickpea and tomato curry is one of our current favs).* I'm still adjusting to high produce prices here so buy a lot of frozen vegetables instead of fresh.* We usually eat a small dessert every night and I'm trying to wean the husband off ice cream.* Coffee also isn't cheap these days and we love the stuff.

I have my last few grocery receipts and might post a representative sample if I get real ambitious.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #52

Quote:
You should thank your fishmonger, he is selling it to you well under his cost.
Ha
Here, a couple of large supermarket chains offer it between $3 and $4 on sale. Maybe they have their own fleet.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #53

we spend around $300-$350/month for 2 adults and a baby (formula and baby food is god awful expensive).

Maybe $250 of that is for the adults. We shop almost exclusively at super walmart. Ground turkey - $1.59/lb. Canned or frozen veggies - $1/lb or less. Fresh veggies and fruits - 30-40% less than grocery store prices. Bananas - $0.48/lb. We buy fresh frozen shrimp ($4-5/lb), salmon ($4/lb), other fresh frozen fish ($2/lb). Fresh baked bread - $0.60/lb. Walmart brand No Sugar Added canned fruits are a huge bargain - $0.70/can I think. Sometimes we'll find a deal at the local grocery store and stock up on beef or pork or chicken at $0.69-1.79/lb. My wife is asian, so we have to buy the 50 lb sack of rice at the asian supermarket for $20 or so. The asian supermarket also has tons of exotic foods we like for really cheap prices - bamboo, coconut milk and curry paste, seaweed for sushi-making, soy sauce and other asian sauces, fresh fruits and veggies.

Breakfast for me is bagel+cream cheese or cereal+milk or piece of fruit. DW - no bfast. Lunch - bag lunch - some fresh veggie, a $1 frozen microwave dinner, sometimes fruit and/or yogurt. Sometimes cup-o-ramen - $0.33 - or canned soup - $1.25 - for lunch instead. If we have leftovers, I may bag it for lunch.

Dinner is when we cook. Mexican food. Pasta of some sort and semi-homemade sauce. Fish or meat. Frequently cook plenty and have plenty of leftovers since we don't have much time during the week to cook. The last week for us has been turkey day and weekend leftovers.

A rather balanced diet I think. Possibly heavy on veggies and starches and light on meat. We don't believe in the whole organic fad, which helps considerably with the cost.

The key is identifying good products at cheap prices. We also have stopped buying "junk food" - it is expensive, doesn't satisfy hunger much and is very unhealthy. Almost no soda, no chips, no cookies, no little debbies, almost no ice cream (and other things I can't remember).

We eat out occasionally, maybe once or twice a week on average.

HaHa, can you provide us with what you are purchasing, food-wise, what it costs and where you are buying it? I'm curious where your money is going. "Luxury" items? Expensive retail outlets? Boutiques?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #54

For my breakfast, I buy supermarket brand bran flakes 17.3 oz for 5/$5 and quick oats 42 oz for $1.29. Last time it was on sale, I bought about a 6 month supply. I add large raisins to the cereal that I buy for .99/lb. I buy bulk non-fat dry milk which I pretty inexpensive and available anytime I need milk.
I never buy and bring home ice cream, cookies or cakes. I spend enough time exercising and biking to keep my weight down.

MJ
Old 11-30-2005, 10:55 PM   #55

Quote:
You must know what you spend, so I stand corrected. One thing however- I live on the NW coast, and I have not seen wild salmon except pinks for anywhere close to $3/# in at least ten years. This past summer the cheapest king or sockeye or even silver I could get -on sale- was $6 or $7 per pound. I never saw halibut under $9. You should thank your fishmonger, he is selling it to you well under his cost.

Ha
Ha: My wife and I both really like Salmon. It is rarely even available in our area, and when so, it's 9 to $10.00 a pound.

The farmed Salmon sells for $4.98 a pound, and I'd rather eat the cardboard it comes with than the Salmon.

I have about 30 lbs. of Kohoe Salmon in my freezer, that I caught a couple of months ago.

I prefer wild sockeye, or king, but the Kohoe is pretty darn good. (Much better than the farmed).

I think MJ lives in New York. Hard to believe that he can get wild salmon, Kings or Sockeye for $3.00 a llb. (Maybe we can talk him into dry-icing some of it out to us. Say about 100 lbs. or so. )

Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
I prefer wild sockeye, or king, but the Kohoe is pretty darn good. (Much better than the farmed).

I think MJ lives in New York. Hard to believe that he can get wild salmon, Kings or Sockeye for $3.00 a llb. (Maybe we can talk him into dry-icing some of it out to us. Say about 100 lbs. or so. )
Does it make a difference if it is Silverbrite (Keta) salmon. Since at that price they only let you buy a max of 4lbs at a time. I do have 2 discount supermarket cards so all I would have to do is go to the supermarket 24 times to get you guys 96lbs x 2.

No problem.

MJ
Old 12-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The farmed Salmon sells for $4.98 a pound, and I'd rather eat the cardboard it comes with than the Salmon.
"Atlantic" Salmon is not usually wild.* There is a salmon farm nearby (when I am on the phone callers sometimes can hear the seals).* I don't buy farm salmon.* Husband dives.* He tells me that the sea bed under the pens has degraded significantly in the last 15 years.

Wild fish is the only type fit to eat.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #58

At thought or two on the original post and the grocery sub theme.

Original post:

I am sure that if we needed to, we could live on quite a bit less than we do. OTOH, we live a comfortable middle class (in the US) lifestyle and if we had to cut back drastically, I would go back to work or contiue working if I could. The trade off would be worth it to us.

Some things might be less expensive (work related like dry cleaning, clothes budget, eating lunches out) but others will most certainly be more expensive (health care at ten grand a year increasing at 5-10%, travel which will probably double). Overall, our day to day expenses will probably be about the same and we'll spend more on the extras (mainly travel).

Groceries:

We spend $100-150 at the store each week, but that is not just groceries but also cleaning supplies, light bulbs, etc. Chicken, fish, beef, vegetarian main dishes. Cook at home most of the time. Make our own soups and freeze (much better than store bought and we can make without salt--almost everything in a can at the store has way too much salt added to try and give it some flavor).

We are in the midwest, so the available fish is much different than that on the coasts. When we are in Hawaii or Florida or New England (by the coast) and can get fresh fish we do, there is no comparison at all tastewise, fresh is much, much better. But, alas, when at home we can't, so we buy at the store. (I fish, but not enough to put food on the table on a regular basis).
When we can get wild salmon it ranges from $17-18 a pound down to $9-10, but its usually at the high end and only available for a short time. We do eat the farm raised, that's what is available. (Have eating wild atlantic and it is milder and less flavorful than coho or king). When we have to eat frozen, we'll make it in a soup or stew to get some flavor.

Any good receipes out there for fish stew or soup?

Uncledrz
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #59

For the recipe you might search www.recipezaar.com...
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #60

We were able to cut our expenses by 2/3 to match the reduction in income without hardly trying:

-- Moved from San Francisco with a $2100/month mortgage and $8500/year property tax to South Carolina with no mortgage and $2100/year prop tax.

-- Went from working long hours in Silicon Valley and eating out or getting takeout dinner at least half the time to eating dinner out once a week.

-- Went from both eating lunch out daily to once or twice a week.

-- Eat more vegetarian meals, and meals with just a little meat such as stir fry. Now peruse grocery ads and make weekly menus, plus a trip to Costco every month or two.

-- Only buy clothes/shoes to replace items that die.

-- We used to spend ~ $200/month at a salon. Now I cut my own hair and don't color it, do my own manicure, DD give me a pedicure when she visits (she loves to do nails for some bizarre reason-). DH goes to the cheap barber for a real short cut 3 times a year (takes 4 months for his slow-growing hair to get shaggy enough for him to want it cut again).

-- The furnishings/tchatchkes/housewares-buying phase of our lives is pretty much over. We've also cut way down on book, magazine, newspaper, DVD, and CD buying. We're more likely to borrow than buy them, and DH has an iPod now. I borrow DVDs from my brother, who buys one or two a week. He's still working ;-)

-- We used to have a weekly or biweekly housecleaner. Now I have someone just do the heavy cleaning once a month or two.

-- We went from putting a total of 30-40k miles/year on our cars to more like 15k. We're saving not only gas but maintenance and repair frequency.