Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow, 25 tournaments a year. You have shelled out some bucks over the years playing tournament golf.
Only if he lost...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I were bored, I would do something else. Is it what I envisioned?.... Absolutely! Most evenings we are out on the deck with a margarita looking at the sunset over the lake. It is about the most stress free thing we have ever done, and we truly love it.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #23

What bores me is trying to hook up with my friends and relatives who are working. You have to work around their schedules. The tribulations of life /sigh..
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would you apply if you saw this in the Sunday paper?

Help Wanted
No experience necessary
Unlimited number of positions available

Looking for individuals that are self starters and able to work under absolutely no supervision.
Must be creative and resourceful and willing to experiment with new ideas and concepts.
Must be willing to take responsibility for your successes and failures.
Idle time is your responsibility and should be used to your best advantage.

Applicants must provide own transportation, room and board, and healthcare.
Applicants must provide their own financing as no paychecks are provided with these positions.
You will be on duty 24/7 and there are no weekends off and no paid holidays or days vacation.

Interested?
Apply at your nearest HR office.

These are lifetime positions, so be prepared.
No whiners need apply.

Any takers?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #25

11 months into retirement and I am still going 100 miles per hour.

We:
Adopted two puppies.
Sold a RV.
Bought another one.
Drove it coast to coast and lived in it for 3 months.

Took a Caribbean cruise.

Spent several weeks with my mom during her surgery and recovery.

Spent 3 months downsizing the house.
Remodeled several sections of the basement.
Looked and found a new house 300 miles away.
Bought new house.
Sold house (today!) after 4 weeks on the market.

We move June 3 to a new city, new area, new house, and a new way of living.

Next on the horizion:
More travel.
More RVing (fewer miles and longer stays).
Volunteer with a local theater company.
Take some classes.
Make new friends and enjoy life.
Etc.

Every day you enjoy a sunset is a day well spent.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #26

I love my retirement. I feel very blessed to be able to be retired. I retired in 06/06 and can not believe how quickly the time goes. I have traveled, took classes, arranged my DD's wedding, read, exercised, etc. I will be a grandma for the first time around 07/16/08 and will be watching my granddaughter when my DD goes back to college in the fall. I can't wait! Today, I went to my dance class and ran some errands and tomorrow I go to a class where I am learning to play Mah Jong. I went to a Square Dance last weekend and also went on my first bird walk. I am going on a Reptile and Amphibian walk this Saturday. I also like days where I do not have anything to do and I am the only one at home. I have many books that I want to read and many movies that I would like to watch. There are still many places that I would like to go. I am definitely not bored in my retirement!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement came suddenly, so I didn't have time to have a vision of what I thought it would be like. I had planned to retire at the earliest in two years, probably more like four, when I was laid off. Family talked me into pulling the plug...job was really stressful and they feared that it would kill me.

It has been four months now since it was official, six since I've done any work, and I'm liking it very much. Not bored at all. Every day I think of how lucky I am to have been laid off.

I'm finding that retirement isn't static, but more of an evolution as the months unfold. We're presently building a small home and that is keeping us very busy. I'm looking forward to when the house is finished and I can spend more time gardening, cooking, baking, and doing other hobbies. So far, retirement is great.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
11 months into retirement and I am still going 100 miles per hour.
You are going to have to go back to w*rk so you can get some rest.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Sold house (today!) after 4 weeks on the market.
Now THAT has to be a great feeling! Congratulations!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #30

Retirement is turning out pretty much as I planned it. Traveling to where we want to go and see, being with people we want to be with. Doing what we want when we want to.
The only thing we have to get used to is being with each other 24/7. I think I need to stop going with DW on her shopping jaunts, maybe that will give us each a break.
We do have to get into some routine when we are at home. I also need to buckle down and get started on some of the house cleaning and tossing out old stuff that needs to be done.
DW still has not gotten used to no salary coming in. She's a bit nervous as we go from accumulation to distribution phase. It doesn't matter that we are 'on plan'. I guess it's psychological.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My ER was a sort of 'run screaming into the night'.
Heh... On my Last Day at The Fruit Company, I walked out to my little car, put the top down, and popped a CD into the player. I tore out of that parking lot leaving a trail of smoke, with the theme music from "The Prisoner" blaring across the asphalt wasteland.

I don't know if anyone noticed me, but damn, it felt good.

Quote:
I am an extreme introvert, and spent the first several months of retirement recovering from over-stimulation of lights, sounds, smells, all those people, and a large building with concrete floors.

Much of my time is spent at home: gardening, puttering around, surfing the net. It is wonderfully quiet.
Ditto... The gardening and puttering around is relaxing. If I need exercise, I can always play tag with the Attack Cat. (OK, I do an hour of cardio 5 days a week.)
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow, 25 tournaments a year. You have shelled out some bucks over the years playing tournament golf.
What Admiral Nords said.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I am only a little over four months into ESR. It took me about three months to adjust purge my system from w#rk but after that I have really started to enjoy it. I am fishing two or three days a week now that the weather is good and I am managing to get some of the honey do list done although new items do continue to be added.

We have made a couple of trips so far and one was for 16 days which is the longest vacation I have ever had. This summer will top that with a six week trip and then another 16 day trip this fall.

I have really enjoyed the time I now have with my sons. I find I now have the energy to play with them and give them plenty of attention.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

yakers,

How was NO?

Was that the NO Jazz & Heritage Festival?

We have been afraid to go back thinking it would be a shadow of what we knew.

Input, please.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
The only thing we have to get used to is being with each other 24/7. I think I need to stop going with DW on her shopping jaunts, maybe that will give us each a break.
Yes, we went through that phase. Very enjoyable for the first year, it sort of felt like getting reacquainted with DW without the distractions of jobs. But after a while it started to feel like being "joined at the hip". So we split up on some days and just go do our own thing and that seems to work out better.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a patient come in earlier this week who had sold his business and retired to a life of golf last year. I asked him how it was going, and he replied that the tough thing is not having a good reason to get out of bed in the morning....so he is about to start a part time job at a hardware store.

...I think for many people, meaningful activity is an important and necessary part of life.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I had a patient come in earlier this week who had sold his business and retired to a life of golf last year. I asked him how it was going, and he replied that the tough thing is not having a good reason to get out of bed in the morning....so he is about to start a part time job at a hardware store.

...I think for many people, meaningful activity is an important and necessary part of life.
Somebody has to watch the squirrels.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post

Novaman: If your patient needed the extra income to help fund his retirement, it's understandable.

However, if that's not the case, and taking a part-time job in a hardware store is the only way that he could find a reason to get out of bed in the morning after retiring is another matter.

"Left arm straight, right elbow tucked at impact. Grip it and rip it."
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, we went through that phase. Very enjoyable for the first year, it sort of felt like getting reacquainted with DW without the distractions of jobs. But after a while it started to feel like being "joined at the hip". So we split up on some days and just go do our own thing and that seems to work out better.
Yep, that's what we are trying to do too. It'll shake itself out I think. I figured it's one of those things couples have to learn to deal with ... smartly
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #40

"mann traoch, gott lauch." "man plans, god laughs."~~yiddish saying

for all the planning that i do, this does not even remotely resemble what i thought my life would be.

firstly, i never even planned to retire until shortly before the event. when i did, i planned to sail the world with my best friend. also i figured on house money, having no idea that market could drop so far so fast.

so now i have given up my job, my best friend died and the bubble popped. at least god is getting a good laugh out of all this.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote