Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I just requested that book from my local library as well as Menzel's other book:
Amazon.com: What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets (9780984074402): Peter Menzel, Faith D'Aluisio: Books
Didn't know he had another book. Thanks for the tip, it's on my reading list and available at the local library.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every time I think I got to the end of the posts... there were more. So I gave up trying.

I think this guy is a bit of a nut. It's easy to live small and cheap when you know that you can buy anything you need. Sure you can travel with 1 suitcase or whatever - and buy lots of disposable clothes...

That's the problem with this ultra-simplistic thinking. It has to be authentic. If you have very little money, you DO hold onto things because you can't afford to buy them again.

That said - we have a large comfortable house. It is more cluttered than I would like and - after seeing my parents' basement - it's not going to be that bad in a couple of years. But we have no reason not to have enough dishes to entertain a crowd, or have extra towels for guests, or whatever. The cars do live in the garage though - but it is a rather LARGE garage.

What the heck - we can afford our life. I don't want to sleep in a Murphy bed at my age!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
THe younger and hipper someone is, the more likely he is to be an idiot. And this really goes for young rich guys.
Ah, but they snag the "Andorran beauties".

At first I just thought it was jealousy that got under my skin with the whole "Andorran beauty" thing.

Nah, it just comes across as pompous. Why did he have to put this in the story?

Look at me! I'm rich, my girlfriend is from Andorra, land of the rich pretty people. Have you ever been to Andorra? No? Too bad.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ah, but they snag the "Andorran beauties".

At first I just thought it was jealousy that got under my skin with the whole "Andorran beauty" thing.

Nah, it just comes across as pompous. Why did he have to put this in the story?

Look at me! I'm rich, my girlfriend is from Andorra, land of the rich pretty people. Have you ever been to Andorra? No? Too bad.
Yeah, I'm jealous. I wouldn't need stuff either, if I had access to that Andorran Beauty stuff.

Even if I went to Andorra and took my Amex card, I'm sure the beauties would bypass me. No fair!

This sort of inequality hurts, it hurts I tell you. My health will likely suffer.

Ha
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #85
gone traveling

Quote:
Yeah, I'm jealous. I wouldn't need stuff either, if I had access to that Andorran Beauty stuff.

Even if I went to Andorra and took my Amex card, I'm sure the beauties would bypass me. No fair!

This sort of inequality hurts, it hurts I tell you. My health will likely suffer.

Ha
Cheer up! The Andorran beauty left him as soon as she realised he was a tosser
I'm sure if you had his money you'd have no problem landing yourself an Andorran or any other beauty looking for a sugar daddy
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
I'm not sure if I ever heard of 'Andorra' before, but 'Andorran Beauty' conjures up magnificent images!

Yes, this inequality does hurt. Forget this other inequality stuff (income, wealth - heck, who needs that, this thread is about living with less 'stuff'), how about re-distribution of access to Andorran Beauties? Now that's some re-distribution I could support!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Love the first paragraph. Edited for propriety with the **

"......You are not simply Some Fu**ing Guy Who Sold Your Internet Company For a Lot of Money; you are a lifestyle guru, with many important and penetrating insight about How to Live that must be shared with the common people."
"......You are not simply Fu**ing Some Guy Who Sold His Internet Company For a Lot of Money; you are a lifestyle guru, with many important and penetrating insight about How to Live that must be shared with the common people."

Change the wording a bit and it's the "Real Housewives".
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
"......You are not simply Fu**ing Some Guy Who Sold His Internet Company For a Lot of Money; you are a lifestyle guru, with many important and penetrating insight about How to Live that must be shared with the common people."

Change the wording a bit and it's the "Real Housewives".
Hmmm, never seen the show but heard about it.

Now I know for sure it isn't worth my time. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Cheer up! The Andorran beauty left him as soon as she realised he was a tosser
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm not sure if I ever heard of 'Andorra' before, but 'Andorran Beauty' conjures up magnificent images!
-ERD50
Google the term. You'll see pictures of mountains -- the rocky kind.

I've never been there, and tend to only hear about the place during the winter Olympics. My take on it from reading is it is a "Monaco of the mountains," although Andorra is much "cheaper," relatively speaking.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The pattern I see from these guys -- from nobodys to Really Big Names -- is that they preach, and then ignore their own advice, usually through travel. Travel is "stuff" of a different kind and has a huge earth impact -- if that's what you are preaching.

Oh sure, they buy carbon credits. But what about those consumables at the 5 star hotel you failed to mention? Blah, blah. Meanwhile, the offset trees being planted are being cut down and mulched, with the mulch giving off gasses. Did that credit really sequester the carbon? Not trying to get political here, just saying if you really want to preach no-earth-impact, stay in your 400 sq. ft. and do a lot of walking and gardening. Invite your new found friends to start hoeing the earth with you. They should ride bicycles to your garden, BTW. Hope you didn't serve fine wine. Wine can be very resource intensive.
I guess they rationalize that the cumulative efforts of those who are influenced by their message more than offsets the negative environmental impact of their personal travel habits. Perhaps it does; it's effectively impossible to say. But in my own experience, personally modelling values is at least as important as communicating them. In other words, it's not much good talking the talk if you don't also walk the walk.

I saw a recent article ("Apocalypse Now", Toronto Life magazine, March 2013, p.16) on Rob Stewart, a film director who has a new conservation / anti-consumption movie coming out next month ("Revolution"). Among his other comments:
Quote:
It was incredible. I got to travel around the world and go to a slew of massive film festivals. High fives. Big parties..... The hypocrisy is there, totally.... I just flew back from a vacation in Costa Rica; I drive a Land Rover. I'm probably not living the way I should.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I guess they rationalize that the cumulative efforts of those who are influenced by their message more than offsets the negative environmental impact of their personal travel habits. Perhaps it does; it's effectively impossible to say. But in my own experience, personally modelling values is at least as important as communicating them. In other words, it's not much good talking the talk if you don't also walk the walk.:
A few years ago, I saw a TV special that featured a number of Hollywood stars, all attending a save the environment event. They walked into the event on green carpet to symbolically state that they were all concerned about saving the planet. The only problem?: The event was in Japan or some other foreign country across the ocean, and every one of those stars jetted over to that made-to-market-Hollywood-stars-event, and then jetted home. No one seemed to catch the irony (hypocrisy).
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
A few years ago, I saw a TV special that featured a number of Hollywood stars, all attending a save the environment event. They walked into the event on green carpet to symbolically state that they were all concerned about saving the planet. The only problem?: The event was in Japan or some other foreign country across the ocean, and every one of those stars jetted over to that made-to-market-Hollywood-stars-event, and then jetted home. No one seemed to catch the irony (hypocrisy).
Like the guy who lectures us about "climate change" but has a $30,000/yr electric bill?
Or the singer who lectures us to use "one sheet of toilet paper" but has an 18,000 sq.ft. home?

Yeah, those people..."YOU save the planet; take public trans...I'll be on my jet".

And there are people who actually listen to these fools.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #93
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Skype™ to warren
My wife and I could probably qualify for that TV show, "The Hoarders". I love stuff and have more than my share, but that's my choice. We also live in the house where we raised our six kids for around $700 a month, so why would we downsize so we can move into a retirement community for $1,500 a month or more?
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - then there is the stress llevel of what goes and what stays.

Girlfriend - with house, car and pension/401k. Her cat and my dogs get along - everything else is a work in progress.

Decluttering is okay if you don't tighten up and take it too serious.

heh heh heh - soon to be less north of Kansas City aka in town.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Decluttering is okay if you don't tighten up and take it too seriously
Exactly. Everything in moderation.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #96
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

Girlfriend - with house, car and pension/401k.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Rich girlfriend to look after you in your old age. Is she 18 with a super hot body as well?
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now that's what I'm talking about. Rich girlfriend to look after you in your old age. Is she 18 with a super hot body as well?
And does she have a sister?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And does she have a sister?
+1
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Er - 65 gray hair and everything works - sort of like me - we still got it just 'at that age 60ish retired pace.'

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing wrong with this fellow's observations, but you might as well read it in the original -
try Henry David Thoreau's "0n Walden Pond".

"Simplify! Simplify!" I read it when I was much younger and it was the inspiration for a life of LBYM. The incidental side effect is that I am looking to retire comfortably at age 57.
(Well, HDT wasn't as concerned about paying for healthcare as we are, but it has been a rewarding philosophy). I am new here. Is there a thread regarding the original American LBYM advocate?
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote