Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't drink, for several reasons. One of those reasons is the same reason why I don't indulge in recreational drugs: I want to be as fully aware as possible, in order to enjoy every moment of life as much as I can.

I love my life more with each passing year.

If diamonds were as common as pebbles on the street, and our streets were littered with diamonds instead of pebbles, then those diamonds would lose value because of being so common and no longer scarce. Value is so often tied to scarcity or lack of same.

With each passing year the time remaining to us becomes less and less. That time gains value (for some of us), because there is so much less future time available for us to experience than there once was.

I look forward to, and cherish experiencing my remaining years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Interesting you used this analogy. Diamonds, as you may be aware, are a contrived scarcity
Thank you for confirming and supporting what I said in my post! Of course, as I'm sure you know and agree, scarcity is scarcity no matter what the reason for it might or might not be.

Sorry if my choice of scarce items distracted you from the main point of my post.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you for confirming and supporting what I said in my post! Of course, as I'm sure you know and agree, scarcity is scarcity no matter what the reason for it might be.

Sorry if my choice of scarce items distracted you from the main point of my post.

Not off point at all really. Your observation, inadvertent or not, highlights that we have the ability to craft our emotions (not totally, but more than we might care to admit at times) to our present circumstances, and what the future may hold. Thus, not dwelling too much on "true" reality and its potential heavenly bolts of lightening.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Not off point at all really. Your observation, inadvertent or not, highlights that we have the ability to craft our emotions (not totally, but more than we might care to admit at times) to our present circumstances, and what the future may hold. Thus, not dwelling too much on "true" reality and its potential heavenly bolts of lightening.
I'm waiting for the "true" reality of my unfortunately finite lifespan to be affected by a heavenly bolt of lightning in the form of an immortality pill. I'd be the first in line.

I think that at a 2% WR I might even be able to fund an infinitely long retirement. However, until that immortality pill is invented I'd probably be OK spending a little more if/when needed for my present lifestyle.

If that heavenly bolt of lightning comes in the form of a grim diagnosis (knock on wood!) then oh well, I would not regret a thing because my present lifestyle seems like enough, to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just lost a good friend at 66 and his wife who is 64 had to go into a nursing home. They were healthy until they got cancer. I also lost a good friend right before her 60th. That is the reason we semi-retired at 53 & 58 and are traveling a lot,etc. YOu just never know.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #45

You don't have to go to Canada for assist suicide. A well known TV person said on TV, her husband refused to eat for 10 days when it comes time, he had Parkinson's disease, he was gone soon after that.
I'm planning on more traveling to Europe because if something happens, I won't have to worry about nursing home. My husband and I have lived a very good life so far. My mom refused surgery due to lung cancer and she was gone at 63, she thought she lived a long life. So was my dad, no surgery for kidney, and he died of natural cause at 87. Sometime you have to realize, enough is enough.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #46

The assisted suicide is much more pleasant than what is currently done in many places which is starve the person to death, something I consider very cruel and not painless.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #47

My health and well being has improved significantly over the past four years of early retrirement. Like others, I have several colleagues and friends who waited too long and were unable to experience a fruitful early retirement.

I learned a lesson from my father who retired at age 59. He has a number of years of poor health, a few hospital stays, and a stressful work environment. He retired, my parents moved to the west coast. Before long my father was playing 18 holes of golf three or four times a week.

Overnight his health improved. He lived a healthy life, in his own home, until age 87. I have no doubt that a few more years of work would have reduced his longevity and his quality of life.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Within 2 years of my ER, I lost those extra 30 pounds and was able to toss away my blood pressure meds for good ! Stress takes a number of good years away for sure.

Rich
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Within 2 years of my ER, I lost those extra 30 pounds and was able to toss away my blood pressure meds for good ! Stress takes a number of good years away for sure.

Rich
+1.

Developed type 2 diabetes a couple of years before I retired with no family history of diabetes and I was on 3 different medications. Lost 25 lbs since I retired and I'm not taking any medication and I'm no longer diabetic.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anyone done genetic testing? I did the 23AndMe and then uploaded my gene file to Prometheas.com. For $5 you get a health report that has a LOT of info. Diseases you are prone to, things to watch for. Mine has a warning to not take a certain cholesterol medication as it could cause very bad results.

I have two copies of a gene that is associated with intelligence. Have one copy of a gene that is associated with longevity. Does that mean I'll live long if I'm smart about it?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #51

Longevity and Retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The assisted suicide is much more pleasant than what is currently done in many places which is starve the person to death, something I consider very cruel and not painless.

The person decided not to eat. I know my dad had refuse to eat on multiple times when he was alive, I had to sneak in junk food that he loved. There is not much you can do if somebody doesn't want to do anything.
Cancer was not pain free either as my mother told her friends but not her family, she didn't want us to worry about her.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #52

I have known many people to die from cancer and it can be very painful. Even now when they are better at giving you meds to control the pain than the old days when they were afraid you would get addicted there is still much pain.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamInCA View Post
Anyone done genetic testing? I did the 23AndMe and then uploaded my gene file to Prometheas.com. For $5 you get a health report that has a LOT of info. Diseases you are prone to, things to watch for. Mine has a warning to not take a certain cholesterol medication as it could cause very bad results.

I did the 23 and me testing which has been very insightful to some of my ongoing health issues. They offer a detailed results report now from 23 and Me.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamInCA View Post
Anyone done genetic testing? I did the 23AndMe and then uploaded my gene file to Promethease.com.
Take all those results with a big grain of salt.

Just as an example, my results included a 7X increased likelihood of baldness, yet not a single individual on either side of my ancestral lineage has ever died with less than a full head of hair, and I still have all mine.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Take all those results with a big grain of salt.

Just as an example, my results included a 7X increased likelihood of baldness, yet not a single individual on either side of my ancestral lineage has ever died with less than a full head of hair, and I still have all mine.
Not really sure "baldness" would count as a heavenly lightening bolt, but having all my hair as well I can understand concern...
Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Good for you. No. Make that, great for you. A person's health is of utmost importance. Losing weight after retirement seems to be a common theme.

I'm 56 and still working. I'll retire sometime between tomorrow and 3 years from now when I reach my DB pension's full retirement age. A year ago I made a casual list of planned retirement activities. It wasn't a bucket list so much as a mechanism to engage my mind in a retirement lifestyle (e.g., Ernie Zelinski Get-a-Life Tree). On my list was "Lose 30 Pounds." I had been 30 pounds overweight for the past 10 years, shortly after beginning a new and more stressful position at my workplace.

Immediately after making the list, however, I was motivated to up front my retirement plans and prematurely lose the weight. I lost 50 pounds during the past year - most of it during the first 3-4 months. After losing the first 30 pounds, I decided to keep going and "touch" my college weight.

I've always been very physically active/fit and metrics like BP were never a problem (although my BP did drop by 10% following the weight loss). However, my total cholesterol had been inching up to the upper end of normal for the past 10 years (HDL and LDL also becoming borderline). In fact, cholesterol was slightly above normal 1.5 years ago. It was cut nearly in half following the weight loss and associated diet change. My triglycerides dropped even more.

Although work is extraordinarily stressful, I've never let it significantly interfere with my overall health or lifestyle enjoyment. I'm in control of my life. However, it is acknowledged that some people experience exceptional improvements once the job is no more. If retirement is what it takes, go for it.

Ironically, I have some concerns about maintaining my fitness and health after I retire. There is a synergy between exercise and work. I commute to work by bicycle and go running everyday at lunch (except Thursday's, when it is a long walk). Exercise is imbedded in the daily work routine and also serves as a stress reduction mechanism. I don't believe a drop in fitness will be a problem after retirement but the possibility still causes me to pause and go hmmm.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #57

Why would I want to know what I might have in the future? It takes the fun out of living and we have t pay for that? I heard Sergey got the genetic testing done and he has gene for Parkinson's disease so he left his wife and had an affair with a Google employee. That sort of effect that I don't want really want to know.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have known many people to die from cancer and it can be very painful. Even now when they are better at giving you meds to control the pain than the old days when they were afraid you would get addicted there is still much pain.

Your post made me stop and reflect. I am 51 years old and have never seen or met anyone with cancer or who has died from it. That sounds very odd thinking about it since it is such a prevalent disease.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #59

Pressure is mounting to find a cure for cancer:

Curing Cancer Is Within Reach - Bloomberg View

Quote:
In President Barack Obama’s final State of the Union address, he compared the effort required to eradicate cancer to a “moonshot,” summoning the American ingenuity and scientific pursuits that sent humankind to the moon. We believe that it’s time for a full and complete national commitment to rid the world of this disease, because the truth is that ending cancer as we know it is finally within our grasp.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My brother died from cancer at 19.
People who talk about the "Golden Years" have likely not inherited crippling conditions.
I have read that in Belgium a criteria for requesting termination is being 70.
Here in South Florida, the usual method of old men is a bullet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app