Join Early Retirement Today

Longevity and Retirement.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Longevity and Retirement.

Been reflecting on the philosophical side of longevity, and what you can expect in your own future. It has been prompted by the one year anniversary of a friend who passed away at 61 from a rare blood disorder. Never seriously sick a day in his life, excellent shape, who was diagnosed in January, 2015 and was gone by March, 2015.

Clearly nothing one can do, planning or otherwise, about these heavenly bolts of lightening. Just makes me have a little more sense of urgency as my sixth decade nears it end. A feeling that generally hasn't been present having retired in my thirties. Time has been one of the commodities I have had in abundance in relative terms.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

There's nothing like seeing someone you know pass to change that money versus time equation.

We should all take a lesson from such things.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even under 'normal' circumstances, aging seems to be like suddenly stepping off a cliff......lately I feel I've aged 10 years in the past 6 months, (a hip problem, that I never experienced before, has surfaced and it's a PITA....I've lived for a number of decades with osteoarthritis in both knees, without the ailment being too much of a restriction....but this is getting on my nerves).

Sunday we're off on vacation.....maybe the sea air will be a panacea. "Onwards & ***** Upwards!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Even under 'normal' circumstances, aging seems to be like suddenly stepping off a cliff......lately I feel I've aged 10 years in the past 6 months...
I think that is the way it works. Exponential degradation of quality of life as you age.

You are healthy, until you are not. Then, it's a reduced lifestyle while you heal, if you are able to, and on to the next issue. Some health issues reduce your quality of life permanently.

I am out in July.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I am out in July.

I hope that means you're on vacation and nothing more!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

This post got me thinking about the time left. I came out with a positive feeling that I should be more mindful of where and more importantly, with whom, I spend my time and money.
The Tail End - Wait But Why
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

It's not so much the time we have in life, but what we do with the time we have. Were I to be diagnosed tomorrow, would I be happy? No, but I would be satisfied with the life I've lived to this point. I read several books on the qualitative aspect of retirement recently which I'm too lazy to dig up. However, one I do remember in particular, entitled "Comfort Zones", did a great job of the various phases we go through as we get older. One very big takeaway for me was that we must attempt to get as much satisfaction at whatever stage we are in life in order to have no regrets later.

OTOH, we often walk among the living dead, as many people are dead while alive. There are many examples, but this one struck me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste..._hsmi=27699321

Quote:
A newly released study conducted by the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation and the American Bar Association Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs reports an alarming statistic: Up to 21 percent of licensed, employed lawyers qualify as problem drinkers; for lawyers under age 30, it’s 31.9 percent.
Emphasis added
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
This post got me thinking about the time left. I came out with a positive feeling that I should be more mindful of where and more importantly, with whom, I spend my time and money.
The Tail End - Wait But Why

Like the pizza scale as a measure of life still to be lived...

Old 03-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
It's not so much the time we have in life, but what we do with the time we have. Were I to be diagnosed tomorrow, would I be happy? No, but I would be satisfied with the life I've lived to this point. I read several books on the qualitative aspect of retirement recently which I'm too lazy to dig up. However, one I do remember in particular, entitled "Comfort Zones", did a great job of the various phases we go through as we get older. One very big takeaway for me was that we must attempt to get as much satisfaction at whatever stage we are in life in order to have no regrets later.

OTOH, we often walk among the living dead, as many people are dead while alive. There are many examples, but this one struck me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste..._hsmi=27699321

Quote:
A newly released study conducted by the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation and the American Bar Association Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs reports an alarming statistic: Up to 21 percent of licensed, employed lawyers qualify as problem drinkers; for lawyers under age 30, it’s 31.9 percent.
Emphasis added
No shocker generally on those results; it has long been common wisdom within the legal profession that we have more of a problem with booze than most--with litigators likely over-represented even within the profession.

But, on looking at the study, its definition of "problematic drinking" seems a bit overbroad. From my admittedly brief review, it looks like I'd be in the 21% based solely on sharing a 750 ML bottle of red wine with DW nearly every night at dinner. (350 ml of 12-15% alc. wine rounds up to 3 drinks...., giving me the 5 points that is their cutoff) No points from anywhere else on the AUDIT quiz--and the second and third parts of it are really the ones targeted at uncovering problems, rather than potential for problems ....
Old 03-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

An interesting article by Scott Burns that speaks to some of the numbers re life expectancy and leaving money behind.

https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-c...g-spend-freely
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
An interesting article by Scott Burns that speaks to some of the numbers re life expectancy and leaving money behind.

https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-c...g-spend-freely
+1, interesting thanks. I don't look at Burns site often enough, so I would have missed it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the above article, Burns has a link to his 'hedonic tilt' https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-c...now-less-later

I was waiting to see SPIAs being part of that concept which would totally eliminate running out of money - I wonder why not?

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for these, I've followed along with the general idea Burn is suggesting for a while now, but didn't know he called it hedonic tilt. It certainly bears out among the retirees I know, who seem to run out of ways to spend money in their later years, and don't seem to live as long as they think they will.

And I love Wait But Why. That is a particularly good one!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #14

Jimmy Johnson said it's not the time you have left, but the QTL, quality time left, that really matters. I liked that idea and need to apply it more to my life. I always wanted to live to 100, but what would it matter if the last 20 years were spent in a nursing home, even if you could pay for the nursing home. I think Johnson (Cowboys Coach) retired after considering QTL.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had 2 buddies die of pancreatic cancer, both younger than me. I get birthday reminders of facebook reminding me of them every year. So yes these are wakeup calls that are extremely useful. Another friend (we learned to ski together) developed alzheimers in his late 50s and just died last year.

So we are doing many things (only constrained by an elderly cat at 18 who does not get along well without us). Even our family doctor had a massive heart attack and died 3 years ago and he was one year younger than me.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
No shocker generally on those results; ... From my admittedly brief review, it looks like I'd be in the 21% based solely on sharing a 750 ML bottle of red wine with DW nearly every night at dinner. (350 ml of 12-15% alc. wine rounds up to 3 drinks...., giving me the 5 points that is their cutoff) ....
My DW and I quit drinking after hitting the above threshold... twice! Once in 2005 (for 7 years) and again in 2013 after I said I need to quit or this will kill me early. The DW was kind enough to quit along side me.

No way am I'm I going to quit a third time. We're non-drinkers now.
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #17

My husband used to drink red wine nearly with every meal. Not anymore. He may 1/4 of a glass with red meat and that's it, on very rare occasion. It's ironic when you start having enough money to drink good enough wine, you can't or don't want it any more.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You're right about the money part. Quitting knocked $200 a month off of our Costco bill.
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I used to be a wine drinker (beer when I was younger) but, when my late wife was dying of cancer, a friend, whose wife also died of it a couple years earlier, said that at the equivalent stage in his wife's situation he was knocking back (at least) two bottles of wine a night...........my immediate thought was that that would be of absolutely no benefit to my wife or me....so I quit right then.

Didn't drink at all for a couple years, met DW, and we'd have a glass each at dinner......but then we gave that up.

We're not 'anti drinkers' (we might have a beer in the summer), but basically we just "don't drink".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

Many "vices" in my life, but luckily smoking, drinking and drugs have never had any appeal for me...