Join Early Retirement Today

Longevity depends on which State you live in study
Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Longevity depends on which State you live in study

Check this out...plus, check out the interactive State map which tells you the longevity rating of your State: Where you live can decide how long you live - Aging - MSNBC.com

What is it about Colorado (scroll down the page and you will see)? People there live the longest it seems.
Nords made a great choice with Hawaii, too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm shocked that Florida did not rank higher only because the seniors down here are all active .Playing tennis,swimming and riding bikes well into their 80"s.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I don't know if Hawaii has a long life expectancy because of its climate, cuisine, & lifestyle or if it's because of the high % of the population with a long-lived Asian ancestry. IIRC there's a pocket of New Jersey with a high Asian population that's also way up there in longevity.

Hawaii also has very high rates of disease & mortality from diabetes, hepatitis B, & obesity. You look at Hawaii one way if your ancestors are from Okinawa, but you look at this place an entirely different way if you're descended from Kamehameha.

But it's smart to live in the environment that keeps you happiest. I'd like to thank all of you who have chosen to live in cold & crowded climates... so that I don't have to!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Rats! - so now I gotta move more norther than Kansas City - like rural Iowa or Nebraska - AND probably chill on the KC BBQ!

not my idear of fun at all - heh heh heh - nosiree!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Check this out...plus, check out the interactive State map which tells you the longevity rating of your State: Where you live can decide how long you live - Aging - MSNBC.com

What is it about Colorado (scroll down the page and you will see)? People there live the longest it seems.
Hunh! Polk county Oregon is right up there as well - probably because we tend not to kill each other too much and stay well hydrated with regular waterings from above.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, I'm an Asia American woman from Benton Co, OR. Good thing I'm planning my finances to run through age 95. Looks like I might actually last that long !
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting link - thanks for posting.

You know, I have always made my FIRE calculations based on the assumption that I will live to 100. Frankly, for a guy who subscribes to the "buy the market, don't think you'll beat it" philosophy of index funds, I'm delusional if I think I'm going to beat the average life expectancy by that much.

True, there are worse things than dying at 80 with a good stash left to pass along to your younger family members. But the cost of planning for a very long life might very well be a shortened life, given how much stress work puts on us (both directly, with all the stress and lack of sleep, and indirectly, by cutting out time we might otherwise use to keep our bodies in better shape).

Definitely a reminder for me that I need to seriously consider this in making my FIRE calculations and my decisions about just how much and how hard I want to work now to fund a post-FIRE life.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very interesting article. One item that struck me was the conclusion that more money did not necessarily translate into better healthcare and thus a longer life. However, the data does not necessarily support that conclusion. When I look at the list of counties with highest longevity, I see Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery County, MD near the top. These are two of the wealthiest counties in the U.S.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #10

Yeah, I caught that, too. Plus, Colorado is certainly not cheap to live in. And Hawaii...calm lifestyle might do it, but we have to ask Nords on that one.
I hope you all took a look at the poorest places to live. Interesting: Mississippi and other traditionally considered poor States.
Hmmmmm...that should tell us all something.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I caught that, too. Plus, Colorado is certainly not cheap to live in. And Hawaii...calm lifestyle might do it, but we have to ask Nords on that one.
I hope you all took a look at the poorest places to live. Interesting: Mississippi and other traditionally considered poor States.
Hmmmmm...that should tell us all something.
Also they made big point of how long lower income whites in the Northern Plains States live. Big deal- a lower income white in North Dakota might be a wheat farmer farming several thousand acres, with lots of write-offs, credits and offsets to shield his taxable income and spending his winters with his wife in Tucson. These folks are lower income in an accounting sense only. In reality, they are quite wealthy.

Ha
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #12

Things are not looking good for me. Not only did my parents die young, 61 and 63, I live in WV. I really need to start taking better care of myself!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just get the hell out of West Virginia man- that's bad mojo.

Ha
Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #14

Hmmm ... I should take comfort that my longevity is above average. Therefore, I really need to save more $$$.