Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
The other thing to keep in mind is that there isn't as much correlation of age at death between family members as you might think. I read somewhere that only about 1/3 of your life expectancy can be attributed to your ancestors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
As a betting man, all bets are off!
A very important point. Since none of us knows when we will go (apart from the random uncle who was told the exact date of his death by the judge), we seem to be driven to manufacture anecdotal evidence from our family history. It may be comforting sometimes, but it's important to remember that it's only anecdotal.

Quote:
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
-- as often [mis]quoted from the bible
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A very important point. Since none of us knows when we will go (apart from the random uncle who was told the exact date of his death by the judge), we seem to be driven to manufacture anecdotal evidence from our family history.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned elsewhere, when I retired at 58, a 30 year time-line seemed appropriate. Now, near 70, I'm not so sure.

Was looking at an article on nursing facility costs around the US. The spread from state to state was rather more than I would have guessed. I thought HI would be the highest, but it wasn't - by quite a margin. IIRC, Alaska was worst and HI was only in top 1/3. In any case, since both parents ended their days in such facilities (and spent their last dime there - but came out even!) I'm still kind of penny pinching when I should probably loosen the purse strings a bit. Not so worried about living too long as I am am about needing a LOT more money at the end. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm still kind of penny pinching when I should probably loosen the purse strings a bit. Not so worried about living too long as I am am about needing a LOT more money at the end. YMMV
That's about where I am. My plan is to be able to fund a slot at a decent nursing home for 2 years at retail rates. If I'm tapped out at some point I probably won't be in any condition to care much about it. But even though I know at this point I can start spending more on "worldly pursuits and carnal pleasures" I still need to keep the cookie jar loaded for the End Game
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #25

I would much rather eat a TV dinner than get on any airplane to anywhere! I guess I will be fine as I grow older.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
OK..So we live to be 90+ What all these articles fail to understand or articulate to the reader is that your money needs decline after a certain point.

It is my belief that the most active spending is going to take place before 75. Most of the relatives and people I have known have greatly reduced their spending by that point in life. The energy levels are typically zapped, arthritis and other ailments of aging have started taking their toll. If you haven't already traveled and seen all that you want to at this point, you probably never will. Your desire to redo the bath or kitchen is probably gone as well. So your needs are likely to be for only basic necessities of life.

So your need for money has diminished to tv dinners and cable bills.
Spending needs decrease until your last year when medical expenses start climbing rapidly as the body more or less wears out.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'll need to save a small amount for later in life. DW and I were in the Costco liquor store yesterday, and I saw a $3000 bottle of brandy. I told her the only way I'd spend that much on a bottle of liquor is if I get to the point where I'm so old and sick that I'm going to take a bunch of pills and check out, I think I'll wash them down with a bottle of that. She said that with my luck I'd throw up both the expensive booze and the pills, then have to shoot myself for wasting that much money.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Your wife is mean!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #29

I think she doesn't want him to waste money.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'll need to save a small amount for later in life. DW and I were in the Costco liquor store yesterday, and I saw a $3000 bottle of brandy. I told her the only way I'd spend that much on a bottle of liquor is if I get to the point where I'm so old and sick that I'm going to take a bunch of pills and check out, I think I'll wash them down with a bottle of that. She said that with my luck I'd throw up both the expensive booze and the pills, then have to shoot myself for wasting that much money.

She is a realist.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
OK..So we live to be 90+ What all these articles fail to understand or articulate to the reader is that your money needs decline after a certain point. <snip>.

So your need for money has diminished to tv dinners and cable bills.
Not sure about this. Once I hit 70 I plan to start hiring people to do alot of things I do myself today (house cleaning, yard work, repair work, etc). I may even hire a part time driver.

ETA: I didn't see Youbet's post before I posted. Totally agree !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #32

I agree about hiring people. I recently had a rotary vent added to the roof of my shed. I hired a 20 something man to do it.
But 70 is the new 50. I am 78, and I drive and fly.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to add a bit of data to the discussion:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Interesting. I would not spend $3000 on a bottle of brandy, but if I did it would be now when I am still in good enough healthy to enjoy every expensive sip. Better, I would spend the $3000 on good times with a good woman, to heck with brandy.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a widow (50) with no children, my real goal is to spend every penny. [emoji4] But while I have never expected to see 90, the people who I was sure would live that long (mom, DH) didn't get anywhere close, so I now fear I'm going to even out the family average by sticking around way too long.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... What all these articles fail to understand or articulate to the reader is that your money needs decline after a certain point. ...
Probably true, but health and inflation are the wild cards.

I am looking at it a little differently: I believe that much of our spending can be managed, so if inflation gets too bad or if investments don't yield what we expect, we can cut back fairly easily. For example, in 2016 we spent about $40K on travel and about $25K charitable. Totally discretionary. We have three vehicles, her car, my car, and my truck. So we go down to two. We have a lake home with taxes and other expenses of maybe $10K a year. That's been a good investment and we would be very reluctant to lose it, but if necessary we can sell it to cut off the costs and pick up several hundred $K in proceeds. So (1) we have been phenomenally lucky and (2) we have a lot of flexibility going forward. I don't worry about how long we'll live.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
longevity risk