Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Look what popped up on my Computer Today - Billy and Akaisha
Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Headline:

Snowstorm blows Kaderlis off CNN!

Look for them possibly next week instead!

sigh... when the weather can take precedence over an Early Retirement puff piece -- what's the world coming to?

They are still picking us up in 10 minutes, but it will air some other time... stay tuned...

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Isn't that tonight? Great!

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #23

Hi BGF,

We just got back. They sent a driver to pick us up 3 hours earlier than planned and he drove us into Phoenix. Went into a little studio where they hooked us up to mikes on our clothes and ear phones in our ears. Fortunately, the workers there were very approachable and 'real' people.

We only taped tonight. To be aired sometime later (next week?) We were bumped off due to the snowstorm that is crossing the country and making a mess of things weather-wise... Plus a man found his two missing sons (one was missing for 4 years) so that drama is much more appealing than our puff piece would have been. Totally understandable..

IMO, the interview started off slow, but I think we were able to bring it back 'round. Talking to a disembodied voice and only a camera is odd. To be honest, the people in the studio were easier to speak with, and they asked more down to earth, easy-to-respond-to questions... We sort of got 'stuck' in the beginning of the interview with Rick Sanchez.... Hey, we aren't professionals, and we learn from each experience.

If you want some laughs, check us out when it airs. See us both look like deers stuck in the headlights on national TV.

We'll let you know when they let us know!

Quote:
I don't like to walk along in the open; I feel much more comfortable along the edge of the forest.
Ha, I do understand. I have a side to me that is like that too -- I like to 'disappear' especially at large parties or in big crowds. I blend into the walls... have a private conversation, and I like that. However, that being said,... it does take courage to stand out in the open and get those arrows that are shot. That's sort of where we are now...

Back in the olden days... when monkeys were still in the trees and had to go across the savannahs to search for food (leave the forest for out in the open) this is how they eventually learned to walk upright, use tools, make executive and selective decisions and our frontal lobes grew... soo...

Courage, mate!

Be well,
Akaisha

Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy

We sort of got 'stuck' in the beginning of the interview with Rick Sanchez.... Hey, we aren't professionals, and we learn from each experience.

If you want some laughs, check us out when it airs.
I suspect you are being too modest.

I am quite familiar with Rick Sanchez from his days as a local (hyper-sensationalistic) reporter in So Fl, and his style seems unlikely to mesh well with your own message, intent, and style. He comes from a 'gotcha' type mold, something like Geraldo.

That said, though, with what I have seen of your calm cool way of trying to describe what has worked for you, and what can await others with a similar willingness to explore their options, I'll bet it did turn out fine.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #25

Thanks, DRip Guy...

Since they did the taping that evening, they will have time before we air and we are hoping that they utilize some photos we sent for distraction off our wide-eyed misery...

Rick Sanchez came on the ear piece line and started speaking Spanish with us, singing and acting kind of 'strangely'... It simply took us off guard. It was hard to 'connect' with him as an interviewer. It seemed to be very much about him and I understand what you mean about the 'gotcha' attitude... but once we 'got it' we made the most of it.

We'll see what goes --

Thanks again for your encouragement...

Be well,

Akaisha
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Thanks, DRip Guy...

Since they did the taping that evening, they will have time before we air and we are hoping that they utilize some photos we sent for distraction off our wide-eyed misery...

Rick Sanchez came on the ear piece line and started speaking Spanish with us, singing and acting kind of 'strangely'... It simply took us off guard. It was hard to 'connect' with him as an interviewer. It seemed to be very much about him and I understand what you mean about the 'gotcha' attitude... but once we 'got it' we made the most of it.

We'll see what goes --

Thanks again for your encouragement...

Be well,

Akaisha
Don't worry about it Akaisha and Billy. My TV does not carry CNN. No cable, no satellite. Just a pair of TV rabbit ears. So, I won't be able to sit in judgement.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #27

Thanks, FX!

We don't get cable either... but we didn't want them to know! hahaha! Our club house gets it though - and they have a HUGE TV entertainment center there. We can watch anything on cable there...

I'll keep ya posted... who knows, they may have canned us! hah!

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #28

Well, I'm GLAD the snowstorm bumped you Akaisha, since I missed this thread the first time. I hope I get a chance to see the piece when it airs.

I have a hard time imagining people abusing you for having a happy, successful life, but then I guess there are a lot of angy bitter people out there.

Glad you guys are out there to balance the universe.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #29

[/quote]
We take the approach that keeping our website current offering all the free info is our volunteer time. It's our service to the public. We can do this service from anywhere in the world... so we don't have to change our slippers if we don't want to.

[/quote]

I love your web site! What you offer is a great inspiration to many.

Best regards,
OldBabe
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #30

Hi Sheryl!
Great to hear from you!
Quote:
I have a hard time imagining people abusing you for having a happy, successful life, but then I guess there are a lot of angy bitter people out there. Glad you guys are out there to balance the universe.
You are very kind! Some of this 'hate mail' can be pretty funny. We got an email from someone who wouldn't sign their name (of course, most who do this, don't sign their names) who was screaming about faux Christians taking her babies and she would rather be a gunman on a grassy knoll before she let them. Her email address was katchemnkillem... err.. uhh... ?? oh-kaayy... Did I say I wanted your babies.. ? What am I missing here... :

another woman was reading me the riot act because I espouse teaching children fiscal responsibility, goal setting and the consequences of their choices. Her letter went on for quite a while telling me I didn't know anything about raising children 'cause I don't have any and that my advice was 'misleading' to parents. On and on she went... and then... get this... she tells me she knows all this and how wrong I am because she doesn't have children either!

Go figure... so confusing...
Old Babe
Quote:
I love your web site! What you offer is a great inspiration to many.
Thanks, OldBabe! It's people like you all who appreciate our senses of humor and give us support that keep us going!

Be well! (it's more fun than than being sick! )
Akaisha
Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #31

I am glad that you were bumped also. I was gone and I am still catching up. Please let us know when it is on, because I would like to see you also.

Another admirer of you guys! Keep it up.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #32

We figured we were bumped again due to the fact that we are 'soft' news right now.

They will probably put us on when they have a slow period...

Thanks for your kind words, though, Dreamer! I'll keep y'all posted!

Be well,

Akaisha