Join Early Retirement Today

Look what popped up on my Computer Today - Billy and Akaisha
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #1

Look what popped up on my Computer Today - Billy and Akaisha

On my AOL mail Screen!

[img width=750 height=454]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Cutthroat-trout/Misc%20Pics/Billy.jpg?t=1168184891[/img]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Look what popped up on my Computer Today - Billy and Akaisha
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poster children... er ah... poster FIRE'ees
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AOL!? Didn't they go out of business because of all the free internet plans out there?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
AOL!? Didn't they go out of business because of all the free internet plans out there?
Don't know. - But I did see where they are 'free' now.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks, CutThroat, for mentioning us...

It was a surprise to us too! It's not like they ask us or anything. Just makes us feel like a piece of meat!! 8) 'Course, Billy likes that!

Working with the Media has been a fascinating experience! Life is so full of learning and new opportunities.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
It was a surprise to us too! It's not like they ask us or anything. Just makes us feel like a piece of meat!! 8) 'Course, Billy likes that!
You are obviously handling it graciously and are used to the media attention -- but are you saying they ran a feature story about you, included your photo and specific information and data and did not even ask you for your permission to do so? Let alone an interview?

Wow. Chutzpah on their part. Good for you for taking it in stride. Hope it was at least accurate.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
You are obviously handling it graciously and are used to the media attention -- but are you saying they ran a feature story about you, included your photo and specific information and data and did not even ask you for your permission to do so? Let alone an interview?

Wow. Chutzpah on their part. Good for you for taking it in stride. Hope it was at least accurate.
Thanks, Rich..

This is the same piece that Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine ran for part of their cover story: Make your money last FOREVER!

We don't own the story nor the photos. They don't ask us each time any of the Media pick it up (it has run several places and several times... ) We figure Kiplinger's is getting good mileage out of our fabulously motivating story information.

At this point, we are simply a commodity 8) - but since we actually do want to help people learn about FIRE, everyone benefits.

We don't get 'royalties' and they don't ask permission. Part of the fun and satisfaction for us is that 'everyone' said it couldn't be done... We are used to hearing that by now...

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

WOW!! I just saw that issue of Kiplinger's on Saturday while I was at the library cathing up on magazines that I won't pay for. When I saw the photo, I wondered if it was someone from here.

Too bad you don't get a residual for that, cause SOMEBODY's gettin' paid!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy

We don't own the story nor the photos. They don't ask us each time any of the Media pick it up (it has run several places and several times... )

We don't get 'royalties' and they don't ask permission. Part of the fun and satisfaction for us is that 'everyone' said it couldn't be done...
Hey, next thing you know, they will have you morphed into a commercial, selling vacuums as you dance with Fred Astaire, or selling Gap jeans with Hepburn...

All kidding aside, you guys really do inspire others to investigate for themselves what their own options are, and along with Greaney (obviously in a different way!) are among the few on the 'ground floor' illustrating a new way for us boomers to consider our life plans.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Too bad you don't get a residual for that, cause SOMEBODY's gettin' paid!
Well, then everyone would accuse them of being a shill for Kiplinger's or perpetual traveling or some other credibility-sucking sponsor instead of just ERs trying to set the example...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

In my view, if I wasn't getting a tidy profit, I'd just as soon keep my ugly mug out of the press. I prefer anonymity!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
In my view, if I wasn't getting a tidy profit, I'd just as soon keep my ugly mug out of the press. I prefer anonymity!
Me, too. Just go about my business enjoying whatever I enjoy.

I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

After I started taking my pension 14 years ago, the local newspaper did a: "Where are they now?" piece and featured me on the front page of the business section as a partner in my new business. Aside from the 15 minutes of fame with family and friends, I mainly got 100s of sales people calling.

Lucky it was before the Internet!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #14

DRip Guy
Quote:
Hey, next thing you know, they will have you morphed into a commercial, selling vacuums as you dance with Fred Astaire, or selling Gap jeans with Hepburn...
All kidding aside, you guys really do inspire others to investigate for themselves what their own options are, and along with Greaney (obviously in a different way!) are among the few on the 'ground floor' illustrating a new way for us boomers to consider our life plans.
Thanks!
Those images in my mind are pretty funny..! and you are very welcome! Thanks for your kind words. Billy and I like having options. The feeling of being stuck is very uncomfortable to us... hence, we have searched for other ways of doing things.

Nords
Quote:
Well, then everyone would accuse them of being a shill for Kiplinger's or perpetual traveling or some other credibility-sucking sponsor instead of just ERs trying to set the example...
Haha.. Billy and I were talking the other day and we concluded that we get 'accused' of things all the time. We're selfish good-fer-nuthin's because we don't have children, or don't have jobs, left the system while other people have to pay down their $30,000 in credit card bills, or whatever the 'slam du jour' is... We figured 'you're nobody til you get hate mail...'

HFWR
Quote:
No doubt, it is a big decision to go public with one's story. There are drawbacks... and actually, Billy and I are both introverts. Go figure.

We take the approach that keeping our website current offering all the free info is our volunteer time. It's our service to the public. We can do this service from anywhere in the world... so we don't have to change our slippers if we don't want to.

Rich:
Quote:
I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway
I understand, Rich. We're not trying to 'show anyone the way'. We don't care if anyone retires or not. They can run up their credit cards or have a large mortgage or own 7 vehicles. Our lifestyle isn't changed any by their decision one way or the other. Like I said above, Billy and I figure it's our volunteer service. People can take it or leave it. No biggie.

But we sure have met some great folks! And that has been the fun of it.

Plus, 'everyone' said it couldn't be done. We couldn't own a restaurant, Billy couldn't become a stock broker, we couldn't retire early, and we couldn't write a book. We weren't 'well connected' in the media and it would flop, etc. etc. etc.

It's not that we're special. Anyone can live the life they choose if they set their minds to it.

Be well,
Akaisha

Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I think that Billy and Akeisha represent the Robinson Crusoe of our generation - doing what nobody thought was possible and being successful at it. As for the residuals from the press, hopefully it will pay off in increased book sales and more personal appearances.

Of course that will work against their primary purpose but such is the challenge of fame!

(Been there done that got the t-shirt.)
Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #16

Thanks, Kcowan! We appreciate your support... 8)

CNN called us the other day and we are to be interviewed LIVE on Television this Saturday evening, January 13, 2007, 10 pm E.S.T. on The Newsroom with Rick Sanchez.

Just FYI...

I hope I can remember my name! We won't be speaking to anyone in the recording room, only to a camera. It will be for a big 5 minutes, but hey, it's a first (!)

Wish us luck!

Be well,
Akaisha,
Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #17

Akaisha, I know you'll do fine, but good luck anyway.

I'm a frequent visitor to your and Billy's website and derive much inspiration from your spirit and approach to early retirement and life itself. You also offer a lot of good tips and insight about early retirement.

Although I doubt that I will be a perpetual traveler myself, I admire the way you have lived your life creatively, not only in the sense that being creative applies to being an artist, but in crafting a life outside the mainstream, "outside the box".

I've heard the long radio interview posted on your website and you both are very good speakers. I also think you have a very nice speaking voice, Akaisha.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
Akaisha, I know you'll do fine, but good luck anyway.

I'm a frequent visitor to your and Billy's website and derive much inspiration from your spirit and approach to early retirement and life itself. You also offer a lot of good tips and insight about early retirement.

Although I doubt that I will be a perpetual traveler myself, I admire the way you have lived your life creatively, not only in the sense that being creative applies to being an artist, but in crafting a life outside the mainstream, "outside the box".

I've heard the long radio interview posted on your website and you both are very good speakers. I also think you have a very nice speaking voice, Akaisha.
Hear, hear -- whether they set out to do it or not, they really do have the demeanor to both explain and illustrate by example a way (not necessarily the way, just as they say) to achieve Financial Independence and Early Retirement.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #19

Thanks, Flipstress and DRip Guy, both of you!

We do appreciate your support.

And that is exactly right. We don't believe that we have the way, only that there are choices. Find the ones that work for you.

We are very aware that this media attention has a shelf life and we are replaceable at any time. We cannot be attached to it. Our main message is that 'You can do it too!' and 'Don't let anyone put you in a box described by their expectations.'

This is your life. The happier people are with their lives, the happier the world is, you know?

Happy and contented people tend to treat others with more respect. Everyone wins. 8)

Thanks again...
Be well,
Akaisha

Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway .
Amen to that. For me it is just basic modesty. I can see plenty of flaws in the way I do things, but at least I have only myself to complain to if it doesn't work out.

I don't like to walk along in the open; I feel much more comfortable along the edge of the forest.

My wife says the only I won’t do is teach anything.

Ha