Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a new home
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Looking for a new home

We have been retired for a few years now.
I considered Mexico but I don't want the risks
Currently in the high mountains of AZ but it's not cheap where we live.
Income is mid $50K range
We rent so we are portable and like it that way.
We are pretty much homebodies now as we don't travel much with my medical problems. I can no longer take long periods in the car with my back problems.

Wish list~

Moderate temps and climate. Snow OK just not harsh winters.
Low crime rate if possible.
I like to fish, grew up on salt water catching bigger fish but I may have to settle for a lake or two in the area.
Reasonable state taxes are nice of course.
A VA hospital in the area somewhere would be nice.
A smaller community is nice for us, I really don't like larger cities at all.

Someone told me I might be happy in TX, east TX I think it was but I am not sure now.
Just looking for something new.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Administrator

There are so many places that you could consider. Since you apparently cannot travel easily to check out some of these places, are there states that you have been to, and like? I really wouldn't suggest moving to a place that you have never even seen before. You might be better off just staying put and cutting back on your spending if you need to.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Someone told me I might be happy in TX, east TX I think it was but I am not sure now.
East TX might fit all your criteria except the 'moderate temps and climate'. Snow is rare but the summers are hot and humid. You could live comfortably on your income and the area is dotted with lakes and small communities.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Arkansas sounds perfect for you, Keninaz.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

My first thought was near Whidbey Island - but the closest VA is in Seattle.

No state taxes in WA state. It rains a lot - but it's pretty moderate/temperate. Only snows a little.

I loved living in WA state earlier in my life.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

I have lived in WA several times.
First with the Army in '66 and then in '71-2.
Back again with the wife's job and we lived on Whidbey for 5 years.
She did not like all the wind and rain at all.
I am going to have to look further at TX and Arkansas I guess. Just have not spent much time in TX other that 3 weeks in Austin on a TDY while working for the Navy.
I can drive a car for several hours on end but I would rather it wasn't over 4 hours.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
I have lived in WA several times.
First with the Army in '66 and then in '71-2.
Back again with the wife's job and we lived on Whidbey for 5 years.
She did not like all the wind and rain at all.
I am going to have to look further at TX and Arkansas I guess. Just have not spent much time in TX other that 3 weeks in Austin on a TDY while working for the Navy.
I can drive a car for several hours on end but I would rather it wasn't over 4 hours.
Oh good! Maybe once you have a couple of places in mind you can fly there to check them out. That probably wouldn't take long. I am thinking that once you got there, then you could just drive around locally (for brief periods) to see them.

Texas doesn't have state taxes, but the property/school taxes can be stiff. I have heard that both property taxes and state taxes are great for retirees in Alabama. Don't know about the VA hospitals, or crime there, though. There's the Gulf of Mexico for fishing, but then they also have hurricanes periodically.

Arkansas and Texas both sound great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We have been retired for a few years now.
I considered Mexico but I don't want the risks
Currently in the high mountains of AZ but it's not cheap where we live.
Income is mid $50K range
We rent so we are portable and like it that way.
We are pretty much homebodies now as we don't travel much with my medical problems. I can no longer take long periods in the car with my back problems.

Wish list~

Moderate temps and climate. Snow OK just not harsh winters.
Low crime rate if possible.
I like to fish, grew up on salt water catching bigger fish but I may have to settle for a lake or two in the area.
Reasonable state taxes are nice of course.
A VA hospital in the area somewhere would be nice.
A smaller community is nice for us, I really don't like larger cities at all.

Just looking for something new.
Plenty of communities in Alabama would fit the bill except for moderate temperatures in the summer. I like Huntsville, personally. You could live very well on $50K a year there. Winters are mild and snow is rare. Crime rates are pretty low in most parts of the city. Good lakes for fishing and boating. State taxes are low. With the proximity to Redstone Arsenal, there are lots of veterans in the area. The closest VA hospital is in Birmingham I think (90 minute drive), but there might be plans to build one in Huntsville (see here: http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/09/stone_middle.html). And you definitely get a smaller community.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Plenty of communities in Alabama would fit the bill except for moderate temperatures in the summer. I like Huntsville, personally. You could live very well on $50K a year there. Winters are mild and snow is rare. Crime rates are pretty low in most parts of the city. Good lakes for fishing and boating. State taxes are low. With the proximity to Redstone Arsenal, there are lots of veterans in the area. The closest VA hospital is in Birmingham I think (90 minute drive), but there might be plans to build one in Huntsville (see here: Huntsville's Stone Middle School may get new life as veterans' hospital | al.com). And you definitely get a smaller community.
Huntsville is also far enough north to avoid the severest impacts from hurricanes that coastal areas experience, too. We watched TV coverage of Hurricane Katrina from a motel room in Huntsville, where we felt perfectly safe.

From Huntsville I think it might take you 5+ hours in the car to get to someplace on the Gulf of Mexico to fish, but you could probably do it if you stopped halfway at a motel. Otherwise as FIREd points out, there is lake fishing available there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe Mountain Home, Arkansas area? Norfork and Bull Shoals Lakes...and White River. We love the area; it is beautiful. Lots of vistas and low cost-of-living. If DH would agree, i would move there in a heartbeat. Fishing galore.

Mountain Home Area Chamber of Commerce

It is a bit isolated, but has a top-notch hospital, a beautiful new two-story library with fireplace, retirees moving here from other parts of USA.

Did i mention the area is beautiful? DH wants something more urban, or close to urban.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Georgia or Tennessee might be worth looking into... Taxes are not to high. There are cities with VA facilities. You did not mention your age each state offers different things for senior citizens. Certain areas of Georgia has better weather than others and better than Tennessee etc. I currently live in Georgia, but have looked at Tennessee for change..., but maybe not...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

You may wish to consider Southwest Florida or specifically the one hour radius around the new VA hospital opening this summer in Cape Coral.

Note that Florida does not get the extreme heat in the summer that most of middle States get, especially Texas, and this is especially true if you are very close to the gulf coast. This is due to the moderating effect of being surrounded by the gulf and Ocean. Of course, Florida in winter is paradise, and no state income tax.

The Cape itself has thousands of miles of canal homes, mostly dated, so very affordable, especially if you are not on a canal. Renting in Florida avoids a host of problems and risk. There is not a lot of employment and still a surplus of housing, so the economics is keeping the cost of living very low.

Although hurricanes are rare on that part of the coast, if you do get one, with renting you just travel light and don't come back if it is wiped out. In recent past entirely low cat hurricanes in SWF, its really only the trailers and mobile homes that have suffered anyways.

If you like a more rural feeling, go over the causeway to Pine Island, or if you like more eccentric, scout around Matlacha, which is a fishing paradise with a string of funky shops. The Matlacha bridge is know as the "fishing'ist bridge in the world". Matlacha is a series of small inland waterway type saltwater islands between the coast and Pine Island with spectacular salt flatwater fishing.

for more information on the overall area, consider this link

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...-faq-must.html

You could also check out San Carlos Island (between Fort Myers and Fort Myers beach) which is where the professional fishing boats are stationed and there is affordable housing, marinas, waterfront bars and seafood restaurants, and flatwater fishing outside your door and the open gulf minutes away. All of these locations discussed are 30 minutes from the VA hospital.

On the east coast or along the Tampa-Orlando strip, there is more industry which drives up the cost of housing, they catch more vigorous canes and middle/north Florida can be downright frosty in January.

Inland, there are some small cattle or horticulture towns where the housing is absurdly cheap and you can live in a bygone era of rodeos and strawberry festivals, but you have Texas style summer heat. Slightly up the coast toward Sarasota, or slightly down the coast toward Naples, it gets very expensive close to the coast.

50k goes far in Florida and the entire SWF infrastructure is oriented to our age group.