Looking for a Place on a lake

corn18

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’m sitting here with my wife at dinner and she asked me to go on my retirement forum and ask a question. First, holy crap! She actually asked something about retiring early. Second, here is her question:

Where can we retire on a lake where there are no alligators. I’ll add that it should be in a warmer climate and tax friendly state. She just added : Near a city with theatre and stuff to do. I’ll add that we would want 3 BR 2 BA about 2000 sq ft for $500k.

I’m sitting here with my wife at dinner and she asked me to go on my retirement forum and ask a question. First, holy crap! She actually asked something about retiring early. Second, here is her question:

Where can we retire on a lake where there are no alligators. I’ll add that it should be in a warmer climate and tax friendly state. She just added : Near a city with theatre and stuff to do. I’ll add that we would want 3 BR 2 BA about 2000 sq ft for $500k.

I have no idea what stuff costs there, but your wife should start by watching Netflix's "Ozark".

So assuming that your retirement budget can afford a $500k property.... the question becomes can you find a 2,000 sf 3BR/2BA lakefront home in a warm, tax-friendly state that doesn't have aligators... my guess is that the answer is yes.

I'd watch some episodes of HGTV's Lakefront Bargain Hunt.

Water attracts more than alligators. Do your homework. Typical to do battle with nature but even more so by the water. Good luck.

What has she got against alligators? Screenshot_20190605-232937.jpeg

The answer to where to buy a lake house is the Tennessee River. 650 miles of.fantastic lakes--the best cruising river in the U.S. There are a number of large and medium size cities in it--all quality societies. Three states to choose from.

We live on the water at Muscle Shoals with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on our street. The best large smallmouth and catfish fishing there is is our lake. For the money you are talking about spending, you could be in.4000 square feet waterfront with a bathhouse at your.front door.

I think it would depend on her definition of "near"! As near goes down, $$ go up. Also it is tough to check out neighbors.

Water attracts more than alligators. Do your homework. Typical to do battle with nature but even more so by the water. Good luck.

This. I'd joked that my fantasy was to retire to a house on a lake, but when DH and I downsized we found one in our price range- Kansas City area (definitely no alligators!) backing up onto a 3-acre lake, beautiful views from the kitchen, master BR, downstairs BR and the enclosed back deck. The lake was small enough that powered watercraft were not allowed- very important to us since we didn't want the noise. We grabbed it for $256K.

Well.... the lake was formed by an earthen dam that's over 70 years old and it's leaking. Water level has dropped by 6 feet or so but it's stable. For now. We can't get anyone to recommend changes and quote the work- it's only 46 lots, so we're small potatoes and they don't want to deal with private property. (State and municipality have both said it's not their problem.) At the very least, the lake will need dredging within the next few years. The price of that will go up because the laws now require that dredged material be tested for toxins and if there's anything unacceptable it must be remediated before dumping. Even now, we're spending a lot to control algae on the lake. We have reserve funds but will probably need a special assessment for major work.

I'd still buy this place again. I love walking between the kitchen and the BR and seeing the magnificent views of the lake. I won't be thrilled with an assessment but I have the resources to handle it, but that's more than I can say for many of my neighbors. We did a survey last year and, when asked what assessment amount would be difficult for them to pay, half said "any assessment" or "anything over $1,000".:( We have quite a few retired civil servant types and I think they mostly rely on pension income.

I agree- do your homework!

We’ve lived on a lake in Illinois for the past 25 years. No gator sightings yet. Athena53 makes a great point re: lake views. Depending on the weather, the views out to the lake are always changing. And there is some excitement- you never know what is going to float up on shore. Runaway boats, logs, pieces of docks.

The answer to where to buy a lake house is the Tennessee River. 650 miles of.fantastic lakes--the best cruising river in the U.S. There are a number of large and medium size cities in it--all quality societies. Three states to choose from.

We live on the water at Muscle Shoals with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on our street. The best large smallmouth and catfish fishing there is is our lake. For the money you are talking about spending, you could be in.4000 square feet waterfront with a bathhouse at your.front door.

Well, when I first saw this from other news sources, I thought it was a spoof. (Alligators in the Tennessee River...)

https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/reptiles/alligators.html

We have a family cabin in northern Minnesota that meets most of those except, of course, "warm"! Definitely no alligators, but if you are in a warm climate, it's more hospitable to alligators. It's in a decent sized city (~15K) with a brewery, a state university, an airport, and a (summer stock) theater. I wouldn't want to live there year round, but we have a relative who does.

Check out Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia near Roanoke, Virginia. No Alligators and beautiful

This. I'd joked that my fantasy was to retire to a house on a lake, but when DH and I downsized we found one in our price range- Kansas City area (definitely no alligators!) backing up onto a 3-acre lake, beautiful views from the kitchen, master BR, downstairs BR and the enclosed back deck. The lake was small enough that powered watercraft were not allowed- very important to us since we didn't want the noise. We grabbed it for $256K.

Well.... the lake was formed by an earthen dam that's over 70 years old and it's leaking. Water level has dropped by 6 feet or so but it's stable. For now. We can't get anyone to recommend changes and quote the work- it's only 46 lots, so we're small potatoes and they don't want to deal with private property. (State and municipality have both said it's not their problem.) At the very least, the lake will need dredging within the next few years. The price of that will go up because the laws now require that dredged material be tested for toxins and if there's anything unacceptable it must be remediated before dumping. Even now, we're spending a lot to control algae on the lake. We have reserve funds but will probably need a special assessment for major work.

I'd still buy this place again. I love walking between the kitchen and the BR and seeing the magnificent views of the lake. I won't be thrilled with an assessment but I have the resources to handle it, but that's more than I can say for many of my neighbors. We did a survey last year and, when asked what assessment amount would be difficult for them to pay, half said "any assessment" or "anything over $1,000".:( We have quite a few retired civil servant types and I think they mostly rely on pension income.

All great points. Former utilities engineer responsible for dams; last big project was a $20 million spillway replacement. Meanwhile, we've lived in same house for 22 years on what is basically a large private lake originally built by and owned by a textile company. It's gone through ownership changes and a lot of neighbors thought it would be a GREAT idea to own the lake (and dam). No one could understand my warnings about the liabilities a a 35 ft high dam and very old concrete spillway. We're in a good place but the shallow inlets have silted up accompanied by complaints from those residents. While there are no alligators in this part of NC and it is a wonderful benefit and view for us, doing homework is key. One of the big traps of being on retention ponds is that the HOA is usually responsible for dredging, and as stated it can be a huge cost per owner.

One of the lakes in a subdivision that we designed developed a similar leak problem. The solution was a grout solution that was injected into the earthen dam that sealed the leak.

MN the state with 10000 lakes/sloughs I doubt there are any alligators there. It also has about 7M million people should have all the theaters and things like that to do.

I’d look at Lake Lanier in Georgia. May not be in your price range depending on what you want in a waterfront property but it’s close to Atlanta and I’d be surprised if there’s any non-human gators around.

We used to live on a smaller private lake (160 acres) before we downsized. Enjoyed it a lot. Motor boats allowed, but 10 hp max. So just for putting around and fishing. I am sure there are lakes like this further south than Missouri, so it might be what you are looking for.

One of the lakes in a subdivision that we designed developed a similar leak problem. The solution was a grout solution that was injected into the earthen dam that sealed the leak.

Thanks- we've looked into it and that sounded the most feasible. Fortunately, our HOA Treasurer is a Civil Engineer and he's done a LOT of work on this, including tracking down everyone he could find who might be able to contribute expertise. I've learned more about dam ecology than I ever wanted to know. I suspect that if nothing happens between now and when we dredge the lake (which will have to be done in the next few years), we'll address it then. In the meantime, we're building up reserves.

OP - Consider Canada. You will get about a 30% bonus on the exchange rate right now.

While cold in winter, it is fine in Summer. Besides maybe you will find you like snowmobiling for miles in winter, or skating on the lake in winter.

Gators are not in all deep south lakes. I live in east central MS and there are gators in a large reservoir here but rarely ever hear of any in residential lakes. I live on a golf course and there is a lake in the middle of the property. No gators there and I have no problem letting my lab swim in it.

To answer the OP's question, I would look around Knoxville or Chattanooga TN. Maybe near Nashville if you want a bigger city nearby.

I’d look at Lake Lanier in Georgia. May not be in your price range depending on what you want in a waterfront property but it’s close to Atlanta and I’d be surprised if there’s any non-human gators around.

That looks very appealing! On the list.

Unless you are looking to swim, alligators aren't really a big deal.

My DF lives on a little water in central Florida and there are often alligators sunning themselves on the edge of the water. No pays them much heed, people just keep their distance.

Back
Top Bottom