Looking for Ideas on Where to Live in Retirement

Interesting...
Some threads give the impression that "everyone" is flocking out of IL to escape the politics and related financial mismanagement. The state seems to rank near or even at the bottom financially. Is this something to worry about for younger retiree? Maybe if you are old enough, then the "long term" is less of a worry... :facepalm:

How do you get through the winter? Do you snowbird?

I wouldn't guess about the future of taxes in Illinois, but they don't affect us. Our finances work in our favor, so we haven't had to pay income taxes in many years. As to local taxes, Illinois has a Tax Freeze provision for seniors, plus a Homestead Exemption that has kept our house taxes under $3000. We started out living in Woodhaven Lakes Campground in 1989, but when the winter temperature went to 15 below, and we had 36" of ice on the lake, we went to Florida and a 55+ community. Did that (6+6) 'til 2004, when we move into Liberty Village CCRC, here in Peru, IL. Haven't snowbirded since 2012. Sold our Florida place this year, when we decided we liked staying in one place. Recap of the last 30 years here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

... and yeah, we ARE... "old enough"....:LOL:

Last edited:
Nah, I was up there in June of this year for two full weeks and it was spectacular. We were building a small boat in Cedarville at the Great Lakes Shipbuilding School.

I'd move to the U.P. in a heartbeat but DW won't leave Texas. :LOL:

Did you eat at the culinary arts school there?

Every year that we go to the boat show in August(original wooden type) there are a couple of booths of hand built canoes, kayaks etc. Beautiful works of art.

Also staying daylight until 10PM is kinda nice.

Another advantage for winter is,

In cold weather, you can always put on extra clothing when you go out. People won't know how flabby and wrinkly you are.

In warm weather, you can only take off so many pieces of clothing until your flab and wrinkles are exposed to the public. Or at least that would be my hope.

Did you eat at the culinary arts school there?

Every year that we go to the boat show in August(original wooden type) there are a couple of booths of hand built canoes, kayaks etc. Beautiful works of art.

Also staying daylight until 10PM is kinda nice.

We ate at every place in and around Cedarville that was open except the culinary arts school in Hessel. We also bought some craft beer at the new distillery right up the road from the Great Lakes Shipbuilding School.

We had an absolutely wonderful time! There were three of us and no wives.

We rented a cabin on the water and had a friend who owns a nice power boat. We took a couple of late evening boat rides around the bays bordering the lake.

Northern Michigan has always been one of my most favorite places. I lived in the Detroit area in the late 1970's and fished near Frankfort many times. Ex DW was from Detroit and had family in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:
Growing up in Wisconsin I spent a lot of time in the UP, hey.
X country skied Crystal Falls, hiked Lake of the Clouds, Copper Harbor and the Porcupines. Had fun in Marquette, Ironwood, Mackinaw Island and spent quiet time in a canoe on one of the many lakes. Gorgeous part of the country, but we also saw the snow totals in winter. Not sure I would want to be looking for something to do on a cold, dark Saturday night in January. *Shivers* :)

Looks like you posted this just as I was writing my Marquette suggestion. Say "yah" to da UP, eh?

BTW, it's getting to the point where winter snowfalls in much of the Midwest aren't adequate to support a lot of snow sports. Last winter I made a trip up to Marquette because I knew they would have snow. Winter tourism is quite lively up there.

Last edited:
And it's great you're not interested in Florida....because almost everyone else is and we're getting full.

+1 way too hot for most folks.:D

+1 way too hot for most folks.:D

Except for the 1000 per day that are moving to Florida. :cool:

Which^ is how Florida overtook NY to become #3 state in population, right behind California and Texas.

omni

Which^ is how Florida overtook NY to become #3 state in population, right behind California and Texas.

omni

I have been to Florida many times. It does 'seem' like there are a lot of retirees there. But ... as a percentage of the population Florida does not have the most retirees, nor the oldest average age of population.

omni

Yes, but there are many who move out after a few years after realizing just how hot it is for 6 months and move "halfback" to North/South Carolina.

And they will all be driving? :LOL:

Let me tell you, the drivers are much worse down here than in the Northeast and it more so the younger drivers.
Texting I believe is a secondary violation.

Seguin Texas Low population , about 30,000

Haven been there in a long time, but the reports about fire ants and scorpions are usually exaggerated. REWAHOO might have some info. Not sure about property tax, can be a high % in some counties in TX.

Seguin Texas Low population , about 30,000

Haven been there in a long time, but the reports about fire ants and scorpions are usually exaggerated. REWAHOO might have some info.

Most people who believe those reports are exaggerated have a change of heart after the first sting(s). :)

Most people who believe those reports are exaggerated have a change of heart after the first sting(s). :)

+1

My first day living in Texas (back in 1984), I went swimming at Lake Bryan, where a group of my ex's co-workers were having a big picnic. The fire ants were out in force. I had never heard of fire ants, and didn't realize that they could swim, so I figured I'd just jump in the water and wash them off. Much to my surprise, getting in the water didn't get me away from the fire ants and their stings at all.

I was stung over 300 times before I figured out what was going on. Each sting turned into a little boil, so I was covered with little boils, mostly on my legs. MISERY!!! :LOL: But I did learn that fire ants can swim.

One fire ant is too many!

I've lived in the Midwest for all but 4 years of my life. I think that small Midwestern cities can be great places to work and raise families. But for retirement, I wonder if the short, often overcast, winter days make it a good place to be? Also, I think that downstate Illinois looks pretty bleak in the winter once the crops are in. There are some pretty spots, mostly along rivers, but I've looked at some rural property similar to what the OP listed, and the number one challenge I've found is getting broadband internet service. I want some space around me, but I don't want to be too far off the "grid" :) That's one reason why I always enjoy these "where should I live in retirement" threads.

...based on the original criteria by the OP I would probably think that a place in central TN might fit, something like either Murfreesburo (home of MTSU) {or nearby Smyrna, which is closer to Nashville} or Clarksville (which is more remote but is home of Austin Peay Univ).... they’re close enough to Nashville for higher medical but should be much lower cost places to live and have recreational activities available either in the area or due to the local university. Either would have more than enough rain to support the gardens but don’t have the higher snowfall of the midwest nor the stifling heat of farther south. Tennessee also ranks fairly high on tax-friendly states for retirees, as well.

+1

My first day living in Texas (back in 1984), I went swimming at Lake Bryan, where a group of my ex's co-workers were having a big picnic. The fire ants were out in force. I had never heard of fire ants, and didn't realize that they could swim, so I figured I'd just jump in the water and wash them off. Much to my surprise, getting in the water didn't get me away from the fire ants and their stings at all.

I was stung over 300 times before I figured out what was going on. Each sting turned into a little boil, so I was covered with little boils, mostly on my legs. MISERY!!! :LOL: But I did learn that fire ants can swim.

One fire ant is too many!

OMG, that sounds horrible!

Reactions: W2R
Get on Zillow and see what you can get in zip code 72714 or 72715. 1/3 acre trees lots, 7 lakes, 6 golf courses, bike trails (thanks to Walton’s) nearby Bentonville amenities - Crystal Bridges Art, health care close (Rogers). Great music, art, craft beer scene all wrapped up in the Ozarks. Best kept secret...until now :)

Get on Zillow and see what you can get in zip code 72714 or 72715. 1/3 acre trees lots, 7 lakes, 6 golf courses, bike trails (thanks to Walton’s) nearby Bentonville amenities - Crystal Bridges Art, health care close (Rogers). Great music, art, craft beer scene all wrapped up in the Ozarks. Best kept secret...until now :)

Basically this is NW Arkansas

OP said:

We like to have snow in the winter.

Not going to get snow here.

Hmmmm....some on the ground right now :)
Don't worry it can get much worse. Some great memories of midwestern ice storms. In 2002 we lived in an all electric house and were without power for two weeks.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94578&page=1

Email

A deadly storm of ice and snow assaulted the mid-southern United States today, paralyzing Arkansas and Oklahoma with widespread power outages and dangerous, ice-coated roadways.
“It’s really the equivalent of having a nuclear device go off, without the mushroom cloud or radioactivity,” Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee told reporters by cellular telephone. “Virtually everything is shut down. We have 11 or 12 counties where every single person has lost power, phone service and water.”

Hmmmm....some on the ground right now :)

LOL. Yes, I pick the ONE DAY in probably ten months that you happen to have snow on the ground to say you won't get any. Bet it's gone by tomorrow.

That area of Arkansas is interesting to me. It's on my radar for retirement (as is OK City) One thing I worry about is the humidity in the summer. The other is a relative lack of medical facilities. Comments on the mugginess and medical facilities?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom