Looking for Ideas on Where to Live in Retirement

I was thinking Mountain Home AR. Lots to do there, lakes etc.. A decent hospital. Low cost of living, but way too far from grandkids so it was nixed. Turns out my only choice is to stay right here. Dear wife is locked in to this place.

Does any one else feel locked in and trying to get out of their current state of residence? After a 'trial retirement' to Goodyear, AZ last year, I thought I would be smart and suggest moving back to Nebraska to work a few more years. We did. Found out employer of 35 years is not interested and now I spend my time crunching numbers and looking at places with better climates and taxes. This is the worst state for climate and taxes. MIL is here and that's what is locking us in. I am 64 and DW is 58, I like the looks of Florida since we have been there a lot. Now its to crowded? Springfield, MO might be close enough and affordable.

Looking for ideas and suggestions on places to live in retirement in the US.

Criteria:

United States (but not Hawaii)

Low population area
Low property/income taxes
Low or Average home/property prices
Trees

Enough average rainfall to sustain a vegetable garden without having to water more than once a week for the most part. (I like to garden, but don't want to attempt it in the desert.)

We have no interest in going to Florida. We like to have snow in the winter. Zero interest in being near a big city - we'd much prefer small towns. We'd like to have a decent amount of land (10+ acres) if possible.

Anyone living in an area that could fit this description?

Thanks in advance!

Idaho. We just bought a place in Tetonia. Check it out.

Does any one else feel locked in and trying to get out of their current state of residence?

Trying to get out of Illinois, but we are MIL's support group when she needs something. She is closing in on 90, lives by herself, drives locally, and is fairly independent. I'm trying to talk her into moving with us to Arizona, but so far that conversation is not getting anywhere.

Did not know that seniors got a tax break in Illinois! Do you have any more info on that, or a link? Might convince me to move back there when I retire.

One fire ant is too many!

never forget when I lived in MS we went over to Slidell for a competition. My friend sat down on a curb outside for about five minutes and ended up in the bathroom with 'ants in her pants'.

Put new meaning to that catch phrase. She was not happy.

Did not know that seniors got a tax break in Illinois! Do you have any more info on that, or a link? Might convince me to move back there when I retire.

I think you need like 10 or 15 years of continuous residency or some wonky thing.

Pacific NW

Put areas around Longview and Ridgefield Washington on your look-at list. No sales tax in Washington. Property and home values vary. Keep in mind the fact that the wood products industry has shed jobs like crazy so the Longview area may offer better values (a lumber town). One advantage of both is that they have access to excellent medical facilities (Kaiser serves both and there are major hospitals in Portland, including a VA hospital). Not far off I-5, PDX is about 45 minutes drive away.

Where ever you land look for a home with a septic tank, be sure to have the well tested.

Ditto.
If you don't mind clouds, the 'Evergreen State' is that way because of the rain (compare annual rainfalls). The right elevation will get you regular winter snow for a week or two a year. Inland can be cold in winter and humid in summer west of the mountains. Near the coast it rarely gets below 30, or above 80. The Portland area can get ice storms.
Seattle is a couple hours north, Canada a couple more. San Fran is a 2-3 day drive south and LA is 3-4 days, with lots to see along the way.
Recreation: Mount Ranier, Mount St. Helens, the Columbia River and Gorge, skiing on Mt Hood. Ocean beaches an hour and a bit west.

Cedar Fever

Oh, I forgot another little issue with some parts of Texas. Cedar Fever. Never experienced it, but sounds bad for those with allergies.

Put areas around Longview and Ridgefield Washington on your look-at list. No sales tax in Washington. Property and home values vary. Keep in mind the fact that the wood products industry has shed jobs like crazy so the Longview area may offer better values (a lumber town). One advantage of both is that they have access to excellent medical facilities (Kaiser serves both and there are major hospitals in Portland, including a VA hospital). Not far off I-5, PDX is about 45 minutes drive away.
I second Longview. For many years I had a pretty good position in Longview Fiber stock. I went down there once or twice a year for some informal meetings, plant tours, etc.

At the time I didn't expect to be able to afford to live in central Seattle, so I thought Longview looked pretty good. I am glad my life turned out how it has, but Longview is pretty nice if one is ok with western Washington winter weather. The people are fine, again if one is OK with old school Western Washington people. Not everyone is.

Ha

Oh, I forgot another little issue with some parts of Texas. Cedar Fever. Never experienced it, but sounds bad for those with allergies.

Yep.

Triggered by an allergic reaction to the pollen of a juniper tree that grows in central Texas in huge numbers, Cedar Fever spreads misery to hundreds of thousands each year. The tree pollinates in the winter, with Cedar Fever season running from December through mid-February. The pollen levels can reach almost unbelievable levels, so thick at times that it creates a smoke-like haze.

Allergy clinics do a booming business in these parts.

6 Facts About Cedar Fever That are Nothing to Sneeze At

Imagine millions of trees all doing this at the same time...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom