Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Looking for info about New Mexico
Old 05-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Norm (Tiger):
Albuquerque is okay. A big city with all the problems (and some of the pluses) of living in a metropolitan area. I'd rather be in Las Cruces given the choice.

Again, there are some pretty nice neighborhoods especially on the bluffs to the west of town. I had a business dinner recently with staff from New Mexico University (which offers a number of cultural events in Las Cruces). We were at someone's house in one of the "bluff" neighborhoods. Beautiful southwestern place on an acre with a pool, custom kitchen, high end tile and woodwork. About 3,000 square feet. Cost under $300K. That same house in Sedona (where I live) would easily be $800K. So I'd look at Las Cruces.

(If you like road trips, there are some of the best in the country not far from Las Cruces around southwestern Texas--Big Bend National Park, dude ranches near Fort Davis, national chile cookoff in Terlingua, etc.)

Hasta luego,
Traveler
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #22

Right now our short list is:

Las Cruces
Albuquerque
Reno
Grants Pass, OR
Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i went to albuq for a conference last winter - it was cccoooold! 16 degrees - i imagined sunny skies and was glad i checked the weather before i left!

the people were super friendly - but i tend to think everyone is friendlier as soon as i leave california.

the food was good - but super spicy! and i like spicy but i was doing a bit of panting during my meal! peppers are to NM what cheese is to WI.

the locals said it only gets that cold for a couple weeks a the most - there was some ice on the floor and snow from the nite before when i landed.

old town was like an old west cartoon. they do have a huge artist community and that seems to be a big part of the culture in that part.

if you love the pueblo look/feel than that is definitely the place for you! heard a lot of californians are invading there too raising prices, but not as much as parts of AZ.

not sure where you come from, but coming from a bigger metropolis, it is very small for one of the biggest cities in the state. but that again is usually the case if you grow up near SF, LA or NYC...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Right now our short list is:

Las Cruces
Albuquerque
Reno
Grants Pass, OR
Hey Tiger,
We also have thought of NM (& AZ) - this thread has helped me to have a clearer view of the weather (Minnesotans define cold differently than San Joseans by the way) , culture, etc.

We just got back from Austin TX - (not Austin MN - home of Spam!) and were very happy there...not sure what the weather is like in winter, but when I look at a map - it's below San Diego - ok so no Pacific ocean moderating breezes, but still it sounds promising for us when we want to escape the long winters here in the land of Hiawatha. If you don't mind living with texans you might consider - understand there is no income tax but they do have a 8.5 sales tax...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Las Cruces has a lot to offer
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Las Cruces has a lot to offer

I moved to Las Cruces a year and a half ago from San Diego for work. In my opinion San Diego is one of the best places on earth, but I really don't miss it that much. I love to go back to visit, but I'd never move back. There is way too much traffic and too many people. About the only thing I miss are a few stores and restaurants, but that's easy to adapt to.

In my opinion, Las Cruces is the perfect size city. Albuquerque has gotten too large, and it is too cold in the winter (I’ve never been to Reno or Grants Pass). Las Cruces can have cold days, but overall the winters are pretty mild. I've found that a lot of my neighbors chose Las Cruces because it has a lot of the amenities and things they like about Phoenix and Tucson, without the super high prices and extreme heat in the summer. I meet people here all the time from California, New York, and Florida who retired here because the great weather and low cost of living.

If you like the outdoors, you won't find a better place. Walking, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, horseback riding, ATV riding, astronomy and more. There is a really active retired population here so there are tons of clubs, groups and organizations. I absolutely love the desert. Yeah, it’s not the same as having an ocean view, but it has an amazing beauty all it’s own.

Picacho Hills is the area to live if you come to Las Cruces, it is on the west side of town. There are some great places on the other side of town, but there are fewer people in Picacho Hills. The East side of town feels more crowded. I do the advertising for a company called Picacho Mountain. It’s an amazing community in Picacho Hills. You won’t find better views. The other nice areas of town are the Pueblos at Alameda Ranch & Tierra Escondida. Sonoma Ranch used to be the best place in town, but feels to crowded to me now.

There are some great links on the Picacho Mountain web site at
http://www.picachomountain.com/links.php
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote