Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for mountains and ocean....
Old 09-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for mountains and ocean....

Ok, I'm relatively new to this forum so forgive me if this type of question pops up all too often. I'm 5-10 years from getting FIRE'd but always dreaming where to live. I'm 41 now, and I plan (and hope) to remain fit and active when I reitre. Here are my desires:

Family friendly; with a little luck and diligence, I hope to get FIRE'd before becoming an empty-nester.

Love to backcountry ski... would like to do this in the winter without going overnight or driving more than 1-2 hours. Would not mind resort downhill skiing availability also.

Would love to be within <= 1/2 day from an ocean.

Like four seasons... but not Southwestern 100F hot in the summer (which I could not bear) and not northern Rockies sub-zero F cold (which my spouse could not bear) in the the winter.

I run a lot during 3 seasons... would love to be in a community that is runner friendly, or generally where people tend to be more fit.

Prefer an educated, open-minded community, and but not too left wing or too right wing.

Don't mind paying taxes if they truly support and improve quality of life in the community.

I have a few places in mind but wondering what places others might come up with!
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seattle and Portland
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bishop, CA
Old 09-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

As others have pointed out, Washington, Oregon, and northern California will all fit your requirements. I am currently considering eastern Oregon myself, some very nice smaller towns such as Baker City, Burns, La Grande, etc. Low cost of living and close to lots of outdoor recreation...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We have friends and family who retired in Bend, OR and Pendleton, OR
Old 09-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

New Hampshire
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Do you actually want to go into the ocean or just look at it?

Why not a two-location scenario? Does it have to be in US?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We don't surf or sail, so we just want to be able relax by it and enjoy an ocean community. A cottage near the ocean and a cabin in the mountains within 1/2 day driving distance sounds storybook to us! We do have a lot of family on the west coast so that is our inclination. And I'd feel better about at least getting the kids into college before leaving the country.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Bellingham, Washington. Squished between Puget Sound and the foothills of the Cascades.

Anywhere further north of there, also. Unfortunately, you are not welcome in Canada as a retiree.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

somewhere on this map

Mill Valley, CA, USA - Google Maps

i am familiar w/ mill valley - that area is amazing. but might be too "bay area lefty crunchy"

but the further up north you go it may also be more affordable, conservative and more natural...that's close to mountains, beach and lake tahoe skiing...
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sacramento, CA and the surrounding area could be another consideration, since it's about an hour away from skiing and the wine country. From Sacramento, it's also under two hours to the coast. It's also considerably less expensive than the Bay Area. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I do like Mill Valley (might be a bit on the crowded side for us) but I think I'd have to postpone getting FIRE'd to live there. All great ideas so far, and pointing us in the general direction we've considered-- Northern CA, OR, WA. Have spent some but not a lot of time in either of these 2 places, but these were high on our list: Ashland, OR; Bellingham, WA (mentioned a post or 2 ago). Anyone here live in any of these places?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

The foothills of the Sierra mountains in N. CA have all the things you are looking for and more.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Ok, I'm relatively new to this forum so forgive me if this type of question pops up all too often. I'm 5-10 years from getting FIRE'd but always dreaming where to live. I'm 41 now, and I plan (and hope) to remain fit and active when I reitre. Here are my desires:

Family friendly; with a little luck and diligence, I hope to get FIRE'd before becoming an empty-nester.

Love to backcountry ski... would like to do this in the winter without going overnight or driving more than 1-2 hours. Would not mind resort downhill skiing availability also.

Would love to be within <= 1/2 day from an ocean.

Like four seasons... but not Southwestern 100F hot in the summer (which I could not bear) and not northern Rockies sub-zero F cold (which my spouse could not bear) in the the winter.

I run a lot during 3 seasons... would love to be in a community that is runner friendly, or generally where people tend to be more fit.

Prefer an educated, open-minded community, and but not too left wing or too right wing.

Don't mind paying taxes if they truly support and improve quality of life in the community.

I have a few places in mind but wondering what places others might come up with!
I would suggest Minnesota! We have an inland ocean in Lake Superior, don't let anyone tell you it isn't an ocean - remember the Edmund Fitzgerald?

There are mountains up there also, and you can cross-country til you keister gets blue.

Someone mentioned Marin County, having lived there, I have to tell you that is some very very expensive real estate, which is smack dab in the middle of some very expensive real estate.

You should be able to get a hecka lot more for your money in Duluth and the North Shore or for that matter in the bustling metropolis of Minneapolis/St.Paul.

We have 4 seasons. Some are shorter than they should be, but you get to see the real natural rhythm of nature here, while the Bay Area only has 2 seasons - wet/green and dry/brown. You get used to the winter cold here, we've been here 13 years.

We pay a good amount of taxes and we get what we pay for.

Very healthy active state.

Definitely family friendly and educated state. Politics should be left of center once we get rid of Sen. Coleman.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I second Bend, OR as it fits ALL of your criteria: good snow (not the wet westside stuff), downhill skiing at Bachelor, 3 hrs from the ocean, real seasons, fit people and a blend of left wing (CA transplants) and right wing (eastern OR) politics.

The negative is very high property values.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
North Carolina
Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

North Carolina

North Carolina has the Blue Ridge mountains as well as a lovely shoreline. Cost of living is pretty reasonable too.

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Alaska seems to have all of the things that you need.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Portland, OR. 1-1 1/2 hours to Mt Hood skiing, and 2 hours from coast. The Cascode mountains, sandy beaches and rocky coastline. Hiking all over.

Rick
rickier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would go with Vancouver, BC. I didn't know if you were looking out of the US.
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm shocked nobody seconded (or even responded to) New Hampshire.

Most people are recommending the usual trendy places like Oregon, North Carolina, etc. which just tells me that these places will soon get overrun and lose their attractiveness. Guess I should take my own advice about where to FIRE!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote