Looking for Retirement Community - MD or PA

kannon

Recycles dryer sheets
We are in our second year of early retirement. Looking to go from a multi story to a rancher, from mowing and shoveling to enjoying the seasons.

We visited family in FL and loved the so many 55+ communities available - decent price, great weather, taxes were ok. But because of family, we ain't moving far from current home near Baltimore.

So ... was hoping some feedback on retirees who have moved into retirement community/55+ community in the MD or PA area - looking for affordable, healthy retirement lifestyle.

Thanks

Kannon

Taxes are JUST OK in FLA and you think MD is better:confused::confused: BWAHAHHA One of the worst states for taxes

I also am in MD too and do not want to have MD hit my pensions when i retire next year.

You dont think we have to shovel snow in MD, you live here? Sorry but i'm confused.....

We have thought about DEL and then being snowbirds...... Good tax state....

Taxes are JUST OK in FLA and you think MD is better:confused::confused: BWAHAHHA One of the worst states for taxes

I also am in MD too and do not want to have MD hit my pensions when i retire next year.

You dont think we have to shovel snow in MD, you live here? Sorry but i'm confused.....

We have thought about DEL and then being snowbirds...... Good tax state....
+1 on DEL if you wish to be near MD and have ruled FLA out.
FLA has no state tax. Property tax is about average. Tampa has had one quarter inch snow in the last century.:D

Southern DE is much like the geography of next-door neighbor MD. I worked with someone who retired there. It was a new home, in a retirement community (not sure of the name). He was near a fresh water lake, and enjoyed a small boat for many years.
- No sales tax and excludes inheritance and personal property from being taxed.
- Social Security benefits are not taxed.
- Up to $12,500 of retirement income is tax exempt for those who are 60 years of age or older.
- Real estate taxes, including school taxes are very low.

One note about PA. It has a inheritance tax that you should understand if your planning on staying.

One note about PA. It has a inheritance tax that you should understand if your planning on staying.

Additional note, PA does not tax SS and most retirement plan distributions. If 1099R box 7 code is a 4 or a 7 (with no "D"), income is not taxed by PA.

Re: Retirement Communities...

Before deciding on location, important to learn about the kinds of communities.
There are vast differences between an interim community, which could be and active over 55 community that is young and vibrant, and one that is more or less a final move kind of retirement. Large communities like "The Villages" cater to many different lifestyles... active or not. Other smaller communities.. may be mostly active, or in some cases mostly older. The second part of this is the question of moving to a CCRC that offers both activities and then, as one ages, the "care" part of CCRC could become important. We now live in a CCRC that offers both regular homes, and then apartment, assisted living, and nursing home and Alzheimers' facilities. To get an idea of what this kind of community offers you might search "simply the finest". There are increasing numbers of this all included lifestyle operation.

Retiring in the 50/60 year age groups can mean a move later on, in the coming 30 years, when priorities change. We did both... retiring in a Florida over 55 park, where beach trips, boating, cruises and partying, were the way of life, then 15 years later, moving to a CCRC when we needed fewer activities and realized that the lifestyle we wanted was more relaxed, and where any future moves could let us go from our regular home, to apartment living with meals, travel, utilities, and activities all included in one low monthly fee, and knowing that should future care become necessary, alternative parts of the CCRC would be available.

Point being... many different options available, and suggesting that no decision be made on the basis of visiting a small number of communities, but that much time should be spent in visiting and talking to residents, especially avoiding guided tours.

The reason I mention this, is because although we made a quick, lucky choice of a community in Central Florida, and were very happy there... we later had a large influx of new residents who had made choices nearby, only to find that they had made a mistake.

If you are looking for an active lifestyle, don't base your decision just on finding a nice home, because with more time to enjoy life, (not working)... people become more important than the kind of house you live in.

DE or WV (Martinsburg/. Harpers Ferry area) is where some choose to go.

TYou dont think we have to shovel snow in MD, you live here? Sorry but i'm confused.....

There are plenty of places to live where they'll shovel the snow for you. You don't need to live in an 7 month a year blast furnace to avoid shoveling.

Back
Top Bottom