Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: We found our dream home, and will be living coastal in just about a month. We are about 2.5 miles inland, with a paved trail leading directly to the beach accessible at the end of our street. We can see the ocean in the distance from our backyard. I've been joking that we bought the view, and the house just happened to came along with it.

Once this all shakes out, our home as a percentage of our total net worth will go from 12.5% to 19.7%. Appreciation in the new community is stronger than in our current community, as is cost per square foot, so we are comfortable with the increase in our home value as percentage of overall portfolio, knowing we could shift back downward if necessary, with no loss in buying power.

The process of selling, then buying in a more expensive community, was much more stressful than we anticipated. We have absolutely no regrets thus far, but we would very like to not go through it ever again!

Life after we relocate should consist of morning coffee out on our ocean-view backyard, daily walks to the beach and back for exercise, no need for A/C in the summer, instead leaving our windows open to catch the coastal breezes, easy access to an endless list of coastal restaurants and festivals, lack of significant crime to worry about (the troublemakers seem to prefer the coast proper, not the boring communities that lie just behind), and an amazing array of year-round outside activity options - hiking, biking, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding, surfing . . .

Well, maybe not surfing.

At this point I have no desire to travel afar and simply want to settle into and fix up our new abode. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts given that our love of travel resulted in being gone almost three of the five years we've been FIRE'd.

To think we almost let fear stop us from making this change - what a tragedy that would have been in hindsight.

ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy the new home. It sounds like a great lifestyle.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on taking the plunge - it sounds like a wonderful FIRE adventure. A little envious of the view too!
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations and enjoy your new home! The coastal lifestyle is wonderful!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #45

Good for you!

I love stories like this, do what you want and blow that dough -
Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #46

Congrats on your new home.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Sounds awesome.
We are looking at buying up in retirement. I was curious on what a reasonable home cost to total net worth - so thanks for including that info.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Final Update for those of you that indicated you have been following along on our journey.

We moved into our new coastal home over the weekend, just in time to enjoy the 4th of July. We ended up buying something slightly larger than our current home, as well as considerably more expensive than we'd originally planned. (I'm sure many of you know how that goes!) Our home value now represents 20% of our total portfolio, though for WR purposes we do not include it. Other than property taxes, our run rate expenses related to home should be the same. Certain items went up slightly, but other items should come down in equal increments.

One thing I did underestimate, however, was the stress generated by giving up our long term home for something completely unknown. While we have now embraced our new home and community fully, the transition from something known to something completely new was extremely difficult. More so than I would have ever imagined. In hindsight I think we would have been better off first selling our current home and letting it close, then moving to temporary quarters while searching for our new home. Doing both simultaneously almost did us in. YMMV of course.

At this point, however, we have absolutely no regrets about buying up so in that the views of the hills and the ocean from our new home are absolutely wonderful, and have actually worked to temporarily kill any desires to travel very far afield. Why leave when were we live is already so scenic, weather perfect and utterly relaxing?

And already one of our children has asked if they might come visit us with the family for a week. Exactly what we had hoped would happen once we were coastal-close.

Here is a photo of the view from our new backyard . . . still can't believe we did it, and that we actually live here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yard.jpg (178.7 KB, 66 views)
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #49

Congratulations on the new home! The view looks fantastic. And you're right, you will find you have much less desire to travel because you are now living in paradise. We have a major heat wave coming up tomorrow, and it's supposed to hit 90+ at the beach, so we can expect the rest of the world to head to the beaches here. Last night we walked around town and mingled with 300,000+ guests. It's a great place to live, and many have figured out a great place to visit too.

But your backyard looks about as tranquil as it could be. I'm very happy for you!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #50

Beautiful view!!
It's always stressful to buy and sell home at the same time. I avoid that stress by just buying new homes only. I have yet to do both. Congrats!
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #51

Wow! I dont even know if "wow" does it justice. Top shelf , enjoy!
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

LOVELY view! I hope your new home is wonderful and adds joy to every day of your life, now that you are all moved in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
In hindsight I think we would have been better off first selling our current home and letting it close, then moving to temporary quarters while searching for our new home. Doing both simultaneously almost did us in. YMMV of course.
My experience moving back on July 1, 2015, was grueling and too much for me. I simply WAY overdid it, both physically and mentally.

If we ever move again, which I doubt, I have a plan (which is a little different from yours but has the same objective). I'll pack 1 suitcase and move into the nearby extended stay America place, where you can rent a furnished suite with kitchenette on a weekly basis. Then I'll have the moving company pack up everything, and move it to the new place. Then I can go and live there, and unpack at my leisure.

I would be reluctant to sell the old home first, because living in a showroom and showing the house frequently is horrible. So, I'd probably still sell the old home after moving into the new home. Overall, my imaginary moving plan would be expensive but I'd probably be less of a basket case once it's over.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #53

Congratulations! Enjoy and send us some beach pics eventually as well. Looks absolutely stunning. I'll be looking out our lanai to see if I can see your place. Wait, that's 2500 miles and mostly through water! Do enjoy and keep us posted. Aloha.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Pretty view. Enjoy!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Wow! Here is hoping you get many years of enjoyment from your new location.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Gorgeous view ! Congratulations!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

what is that, the top of a yurt?
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 AM   #58

Congratulations and enjoy your new home! Glad you got through the stress of closing and moving and can now relax and enjoy your gorgeous view. I find that having the ocean as my back yard relaxes and inspires me.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Oh, gorgeous!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #60

Looks lovely. Enjoy. "Moving up"in retirement can be exciting. It really is a new life and living in a very nice new place makes a lot of sense. If you are worried about boredom, this can help prevent it. We did the same, 20% of net worth tied up in personal use real estate is quite normal and approximates our percentage.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote