Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar thing happened to me - I am having fun not managing people, projects and process and just doing service performance metrics. It challenges me - mentally and not in a frustrating way.

When my wife wants to stop her job - I will quite and then we will leave the work place together. Until then i'm enjoying watching everyone around me get ulcers and frustrated while I quietly enjoy my work.

Enjoy!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your input - yes, I do think I am a little crazy - Travel will be about 70% of my time, the main point of bringing me in is to train the less experienced staff for the REAL skills needed - especially in critical thinking and how to properly evaluate what is happening. Travel will be world wide (good places Asia, Europe, Middle East and Australia) and (Bad Africa, central Asia/Russia) - I had been to all those place before and very well aware of the places - the good, wife is retired and will travel to the good place with me. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Do it to it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Go for it. I you are enjoying the challenge of doing this, then you're viewing work as fun. Do it !
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The great thing about being FI is you can do whatever you want. If someone offers you a lot of $ to do something you WANT to do, don't turn it down just because they are throwing money at you
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me, FI was never about retiring. It was always about lifestyle choice.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds good to me, especially the wife being able to travel with you! Enjoy it, until you no longer do, and then stop.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
For me, FI was never about retiring. It was always about lifestyle choice.
+1, well said.

There's room for thoughtful disagreement on ER (though not always the case here), but not on FI IMHO. If anyone has ever discouraged FI, I haven't seen it...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I've always thought that working could be a lot more fun without the pressure of needing the job.
+1

Once reaching FI, personal satisfaction becomes job 1- whether it includes a paycheck or not.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Life is short. You have a choice on what you do. Do what ever makes you and your family the happiest. We all have different paths.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds Great!! Just remember who is # 1.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is an update as promised: Job lasted for a year in Dubai, the company decided to move the job back to the states and I decided that I did not want to work there. With all the taxes (Fed, State, SSN and all, it is not financially worth it. So, I set my retirement back in Motion. Well it did not last long, two weeks later, another company got in touch, offered me more $$ to move to South East Asia for 3-5 more years. Well I was packed, I said what the heck. I believe the retirement GODS are against me. its very hard to walk away when they throw money at you.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

My understanding of financial independence is: work when I want to, not when I need to. Sounds like you want to. Very cool.

Perhaps another way I'd check myself, if I were in a similar situation: If I don't need the money, would I still take the job if the pay weren't this good?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
In my view financial independence means you can choose what you want to do without regard to money, including work. If it looks enjoyable go for it! If things change you have the freedom to walk away from it without impacting your finances.
+1
Having financial independence means you have financial certainty, freedom to choose, and the opportunity for fulfillment (something pre-ER'd folks don't have). Since you say you're looking for a challenge, this seems like a good fit--until you decide that it doesn't/no longer does.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #35

I can't imagine going back to work after RE. But if it makes you happy, why not? Some people can RE for good, others may not have the personality to retire early and be bored out of their mind. Recently read an article from Onion about this ... .
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #36

It's has always been about the choice to do exactly what you want. If it is good for you and energizes you, why not? I've been offered a temporary fill in position by my old employer and I don't even retire until mid-September. The nutty thing is that they may need me the day after what was supposed to be my last day. I think I might be able to command top dollar under the circumstances, and it's easy work. So why not? (I'll only need to work a week then get 3 weeks off until potentially I am needed again).
Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #37

Well, if you feel you'd be happier working (presuming its a good situation) than being retired, why not.