Looks like I am going back to work

Loving Life

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been retired for about 3 years, working temp jobs for 2 to 3 months/trips a year. Well, a few months ago, I worked for a mega corp. for a couple of international trips and now they offered me a very good, very high paying job for 3 to 5 years. (I am 58) I am really thinking of taking it. ( I know, shoot me now )

I do not need the money, (it really would not change anything) but I am feeling I want a new challenge.

What do you guys think - am I crazy

Not at all. I understand that need for a challenge. And if you get paid handsomely, and you know you can sack it at any time, if you don't like it -- why not?

Sure why not? If it's appealing to you give it a try. If you don't like it you can quit. That's what financial freedom is all about.

It sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck on your decision!

In my view financial independence means you can choose what you want to do without regard to money, including work. If it looks enjoyable go for it! If things change you have the freedom to walk away from it without impacting your finances.

Based on your location I'm guessing it is in the O&G sector. Give it a try. I did 2-1/2 years ago (CVX). It has been rewarding in a way (financially especially) but has also reminded me what it is like to be a very tiny cog in a very big machine!

If the main attraction is the challenge, it sounds like you are considering going back to work for the right reasons, so more power to you. You just need to think about what it will be like when you go from part time to full time and have limited ability to take time off and a very hectic schedule to keep. Sometimes challenges are best when they still allow some of the freedom that retirement offers.

I've got a better idea, you go back to work at the megaCorp and since you don't need the money, you can send a portion of it to me. If you do that, then the DW and I can retire immediately (if not sooner), as well.

Personally, I've had plenty of my megaCorp.........

Plus, after reading the "Don't need my SS post" for the last 15 minutes, just think how "good" you'll feel by helping out the less privileged (me)!!

OK, I had my fun........
Really? You don't have anything else that could occupy your time?
:banghead:
Personally, I've got three hobbies, a home business, 3 car projects and a whole bunch of time to make up for with my sweetie. Good luck to you.

I've always thought that working could be a lot more fun without the pressure of needing the job. Let us know what it is like to work without money angst. Do you get up with a smile of anticipation each day? Do you take chances that you might not have before? What is it like to work with a silver spoon hanging out of your attitude?

No, not crazy at all. That's exactly what I did (except it didn't involve travel, which I don't like all that much anyway) and when things went south I had the option to leave, which I did.

What matters is that it's voluntary and optional. That makes all the difference.

Why not. You are FI but this job is appealing so go for it. If it turns out to be less than advertized, quit.

The best thing about early retirement is that you can choose to do what you want to do. Go for it for as long as it still interests you and stimulates. Congratulations on finding such a gig!

I don't think it's crazy at all. I've been retired for 2 years and I'm not looking for a job, but if something appealing fell in my lap, I wouldn't hesitate to take it. There are advantages and disadvantages to work and retirement. FI is more appealing than ER to me. And it shouldn't matter at all what someone else thinks, especially a bunch of strangers who barely know you on an online forum. YMMV

When I was with mega and they offered me a position in London, I jumped at the chance....

If I were RE, I would still jump at the chance.... the difference that I would do is not work as hard but put that one someone else... (when I was there, mega bought two other megas and we had to do a lot of work to get all into one)....

Now, if they were sending me to someplace I would not want to go.... well, no thanks....

Why not, that is the freedom of being FI.

When I retired, I was offered a consulting gig that lasted about a year. But when the travel ramped up to every week in DC (from AL) decided I was no longer interested and went back to RE.

Now do 3 months a year at a CPA firm. Find it challenging, can't wait to start each January, but by April I'm looking forward to being lazy again.

If you want to do it, I don't think I would consider it going back to work. It's spending your time the way you want. I would pretty much consider it no different than retirement. More of a mindset than anything.

Last edited:
The right work can be fun...and that's what life is about.

... ( I know, shoot me now ) ...

I think it's interesting how people seem to assume they will get a certain response. So far, I didn't see a single response like that.

OK, one that questioned it, based on their own feelings - but I don't think they meant it was wrong for you.

-ERD50

Similar thing happened to me - I am having fun not managing people, projects and process and just doing service performance metrics. It challenges me - mentally and not in a frustrating way.

When my wife wants to stop her job - I will quite and then we will leave the work place together. Until then i'm enjoying watching everyone around me get ulcers and frustrated while I quietly enjoy my work.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for your input - yes, I do think I am a little crazy - Travel will be about 70% of my time, the main point of bringing me in is to train the less experienced staff for the REAL skills needed - especially in critical thinking and how to properly evaluate what is happening. Travel will be world wide (good places Asia, Europe, Middle East and Australia) and (Bad Africa, central Asia/Russia) - I had been to all those place before and very well aware of the places - the good, wife is retired and will travel to the good place with me. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Go for it. I you are enjoying the challenge of doing this, then you're viewing work as fun. Do it !

The great thing about being FI is you can do whatever you want. If someone offers you a lot of $ to do something you WANT to do, don't turn it down just because they are throwing money at you :)

Back
Top Bottom