Join Early Retirement Today

Losing relationships
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Losing relationships

I'm three years away, but it seems pretty evident that retirees are immediately out of the "club" and socializing pretty much ends with those who are still on the job.

It's kind of like the skydive instructor told me: "If you don't jump, we don't hang with you, because there is nothing to talk about."

We have some really good friends there, but it's built on that common interest (I'm in management and the friends I refer to are peers at other locations. We have to travel to get together). I think these relationships will wither on the vine.

Anybody back that up with experience?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our experience is just the opposite. We moved to a new city and had to make new friends. We found it quite easy to do - and none of our friends are retired.

We did have to take the initiative early on and used meetup.com. But now, we seem to be extending our friends circle by meeting friends of friends with whom we get along well. Our neighbors have been incredibly friendly too.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not true.
I still hang out with my former co-workers after I retired.
We have plenty to talk about besides work. Before I retired, we seldom talk about our jobs when we are together for lunch or any get-together anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Are they really "friends" if all you have in common is work?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm kind of an INTJ, so for me one of the best things about retiring is that I no longer have to engage in social interactions with my co-workers (as nice as they were).

I spend my time either alone, or with Frank and/or other retirees such as the daytime attendees at my gym. I haven't made any effort to see anybody from work, and I haven't seen any except for three that I ran into (separately on different occasions), at restaurants or the grocery store. It was fun to see them and talk for a little while, but to be honest each seemed exhausted and stressed out and I felt sorry for them. All three said that "things had gone downhill" at my work since the time I left, and that I had left at the right time. Well, that was purely accidental since I left on the first day I could, but sheer luck I guess.

You know, the people I worked with were really nice. Still, there is a whole world out there filled with many, many other nice people, too, that I have never even met yet. When working, one is stuck at work all day long and there is limited opportunity to establish or develop friendships. When we retire, we have all the time in the world to see our friends, seek out and nurture new friendships if need be, or we can spend more time alone if we wish, or do whatever we wish about friendships. To me, it is the best of all possible worlds.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You know, the people I worked with were really nice. Still, there is a whole world out there filled with many, many other nice people, too, that I have never even met yet. When working, one is stuck at work all day long and there is limited opportunity to establish or develop friendships. When we retire, we have all the time in the world to see our friends, seek out and nurture new friendships if need be, or we can spend more time alone if we wish, or do whatever we wish about friendships. To me, it is the best of all possible worlds.
W2R, that is so true! I still keep in touch with some good friends from the world of w*rk, and it is a privilege to have known them, but there were many people at w*rk whom I am only too happy to leave behind. I was courteous to them all because it helped to get the w*rk done. I am fortunate to have developed a whole new social circle of people who have nothing whatsoever to do with my w*rk. Many of them are ERs. We have been discussing how many people take their identities from their w*rk and how self defeating that is. Every single one of my new friends is interesting and unique.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #7

I have been surprised at how little I have interacted with most of my former co-w*rkers, even though I was primarily managing virtual teams so we rarely saw each other (meaning it's no harder to be in touch now than before).

I do still go back to the office for a weekly yoga class (love the instructor) and I get enough of a glimpse into megacorp insanity to keep me counting my ER blessings.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

Most of my former coworkers lost interest in me once I left. I guess they were mainly "work friends", and not so much "life friends".
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Most of my former coworkers lost interest in me once I left. I guess they were mainly "work friends", and not so much "life friends".
"Single serving friends" is how I think of them, from the same line from the movie Fight Club.

I don't tend to socialize with people at work. I only have one set of friends I routinely socialize with, and I met them almost 15 years ago at another company. They're the only ones I've maintained contact with.

It's another reason I avoid workplace events like holiday parties, etc. I have to work around these people for 40 or more hours a week, I don't feel like socializing with them, too. I have a different circle of non-workmates for that.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

I was called back to work PT after a year in full retirement. So I see some of the people that I used to work with. A few people that I was friendly with have since left so I pretty much just do a few hours of work and leave.

They used to have social gatherings, however, times got rough and no more parties.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
+1

It happened week one of retirement when they didn't respond to my emails.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We all have many acquaintances that we falsely perceive as friends. If you did well, would they be envious or truly happy for you? You only need a very few number of friends, and acquaintances are fine to hang with, go to events with, spend time with, but don't fool yourself into mixing the two. In ER and with a move to a new city, and just change in general, we have kept our true friends, and have made a bunch of new acquaintances, whom we are happy to share events with and to know the limitations.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Are they really "friends" if all you have in common is work?
Excellent point.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #14

I still have good friends from my original mega corp from which I retired back in 2003. We get together every few months for dinner and other activities.

Also, still maintaining friendships from my more recent mega-corp which I retired from back in April. Maybe I am not a typical INTJ.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I found that I spend more social time with my friends from work now that I am retired. When I was still working, our schedules rarely seem to coincide. Now that I am not working, I can usually "work" around their schedule. As a result we spend far more time together away from the work place than we ever did.

I had the good fortune of working with a large group of outstanding individuals over the years, however, of the those people I worked with, my friends from work were those that shared common interests beyond work, the rest were just coworkers, most of whom I respected and enjoyed working with.

The one thing that slightly distressed me after I retired, was the fact that I noticed I only had two friends outside of work, the rest were all people I worked with. I attributed that to the long hours spent at megacorp over 32 years.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have worked at several companies, and my experience has always been that over time I have left most of my co-workers behind when I have left the job behind. There have been a few rare exceptions. And for the rest, there is Facebook.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #17

Most of the coworkers I had in my years of work I lost touch with after I left in 2008. My best friend/coworker calls me once in a while or emails me once in a while to chat (although sometimes it is a work question EEK!). A few others I get an email once in a while. A few others I kept in touch with for a while have left the company and I never had their home email, not that I am broken up about that. A few others who retired (early, YAY!) just before I left the company I stayed in touch with for a while but nothing recently (which is disappointing because we actually DO have something particular in common being early retirees).

Other than the best friend/coworker and one other friend/coworker I had from my working days, I don't expect any consistent contact with anyone else anyway. I was never a big socialite at work in the 23 years I worked there. None of these people live near me so it isn't like we would ever get together outside of work now that I am not there.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
"Single serving friends" is how I think of them, from the same line from the movie Fight Club.

I don't tend to socialize with people at work. I only have one set of friends I routinely socialize with, and I met them almost 15 years ago at another company. They're the only ones I've maintained contact with.

It's another reason I avoid workplace events like holiday parties, etc. I have to work around these people for 40 or more hours a week, I don't feel like socializing with them, too. I have a different circle of non-workmates for that.
That's exactly the same way I feel, too. There's work friends and real friends.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #19

The people that I had to interact with at w**k are largely the reason that I wanted to retire.

I have far more quality friendships now than I ever did when employed.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have to admit I am looking forward to losing all my " friends"

I'm an introverted person that loves spending time by myself ... I find being around people a chore