Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I like to cook (she's the expert baker) and we used to try to scale recipes down for 2 people. But now we've started to scale recipes to make 4 to 8 servings more often than not, or even more depending on what the dish is. Extras might be lunch the next day, or into the freezer. Leftovers are "a good thing."

We also found scaling down that small led to a lot of wasted ingredient $.

Some extra baked goods go to our workplaces (or wherever your group activities take place).

Giving to others is a noble option too.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love to cook, too, and now that I have nobody to cook for I just love the idea of baking cookies and bringing it to the Firehouse...thanks! They deserve to be pampered for all they do for us.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

In your spare time, you could just whip up this cake:

Just what Wills and Kate would want for their wedding... a cake modelled in their own image | Mail Online
Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #24

Wow, that cake is amazing (and a bit freaky!)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A lot of the VA outpatient clinics have day programs for veterans, with lunch and/or snacks included.
Go visit, introduce yourself, and see if some of your culinary delights would be appreciated. I already know the answer to that question.
VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System Home

The telephone number for the VAVS is halfway down this page
http://www.lasvegas.va.gov/giving/
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #26

What a wonderful idea Freebird!

There are many retired veterans in and around LV/Henderson...in fact we have retired Air Force right next door.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
What a wonderful idea Freebird!

There are many retired veterans in and around LV/Henderson...in fact we have retired Air Force right next door.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The VA, firefighters and police station ideas are great. I have a passion for cooking and my wife loves baking. I guess we compliment each other.

We frequently make food to give to the local men in blue and the firefighters, and they really seem appreciate it. Food banks and soup kitchens tend to want bulk food that's easy to serve, easy to reheat or prepare, keeps well, etc., at least that's my experience though some good deserts are appreciated by those who only get the basics on a daily basis.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #29

I am certain that your local Meals on Wheels would welcome your home baked desserts to be included as part of the hot lunch or bag supper.
You might also see if any volunteer organizations have bake sales and offer to provide items for these events.
We have a super duper professional level baker in our office (much like the OP). Every Monday morning there is a large beautifully arranged tray of some gourmet item for our enjoyment...biscotti, cookies, brownies, buckeyes, etc. Everything is perfect and beautifully presented. She just likes to bake and she and her husband don't eat much of the stuff. She also bakes for her husband's office. My favorites are her date bars and her dried cherry/dark chocolate biscotti. Calorie counting goes out the window...