Join Early Retirement Today

Love to Cook - Now a Question
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love to Cook - Now a Question

I LOVE to cook, more specifically I love to bake.

I can spend hours and even days in the kitchen trying new recipes, baking family favorites, watching Food TV, etc.

Once we retire I don't want to turn my passion into a business and I have no interest in food blogging....I just love to cook. Just today I've made a caramel/peanut butter mousse/chocolate tart for Christmas eve dinner and started a croquembouche and it's not quite 9:30am here :-)

Since it is just the two of us, does anyone have ideas on how I can indulge in my cooking hobby without becoming as big as the side of a house? Are there organizations that I can donate the finished products to? Other ideas?
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Your local fire station / firefighters might appreciate a plate of baked goods now and again. It's also a nice way to say "Thanks!" for the job they do.

Another idea might be to contact the PTA at a local school to ask for their schedule of events. There are often bake sales at our various fundraising and school events, with all raised funds going to support a specific project at the school. I am sure they would appreciate the talents of a fine baker!!

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I can spend hours and even days in the kitchen trying new recipes, baking family favorites, watching Food TV, etc.
To which Groucho (supposedly) replied, “Lady, I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.”
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Teach a class at your local community college, continuing education program or recreational center? Then you will have all the people in the class to help you eat up the goodies. Maybe local nursing homes, shelters, organizations for foster children or the like would be interested in some fancy baked goods now and then.

Or maybe you can specialize in adapting highly caloric recipes so they are just as yummy, but not as fattening.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #5

All wonderful suggestions, thank you.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All wonderful suggestions, thank you.
You're welcome.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Going in the other direction, there are a lot of "cooking for two" cookbooks that pare down big recipes and some of them are really good. You could create smaller versions of your favorite recipes and start a blog about the results.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Paleo Diet/Paleolithic Diet Recipes/Cookbook, Caveman Diet Recipes, Primal Diet Recipes

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I love to eat... well it is a similar passtime!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you could start a baking + exercise routine. Count the extra calories and do the exercise before indulging.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

I can assure you that every police station in the country is full of growing boys who love baked goods. A lot of cops are young single guys who have moved away from home for the job and no longer have access to moms home cooking. Homemade desserts would be greatly appreciated.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #12

I had thought about police and fire stations but was unsure if a stranger just showed up with goodies that they would accept them. I'll definitely give it a try!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had thought about police and fire stations but was unsure if a stranger just showed up with goodies that they would accept them. I'll definitely give it a try!
Let us know how it goes. You might start a trend.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dear sister is one of Philly's finest. I put your question to her. Her answer was and I quote: "Hell yeah we'll eat the stuff." She told me that people drop food off at the stations all the time. They even take the left overs from catered events. She said she has even seen the guys standing roll call with sauce on their mouths. Not a classy bunch she says but there you have it. Nothing tastes better than free. Just take it to the window and tell them that this is a token of your appreciation.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #15

Well, if you're still having trouble finding people/places to donate to...I also like to eat! As long as it can survive a few days in the mail, I'd be more than happy being a dessert guinea pig! Let me know and I'll send you my address!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Senior housing might be a good place, too - a lot of elderly people don't have much family visiting. Also they have parties. It probably helps if you know someone who lives there.

Hospitals - the nurses love treats. Check ahead to make sure it's okay to bring stuff. ER is also good.

I love to bake too - and mostly I try not to, for the sake of my waistline
Old 12-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #17

Oh, I just thought of something - homeless shelters?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There is a danger that by working at cooking, you will destroy your love of cooking.

I do quite a lot of photography as a hobby. Several charities have used my work and asked me to do even more, but I have to turn them down because it became more like a business and not hobby.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Oh, I just thought of something - homeless shelters?
+1, also food banks?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #20

What wonderful ideas everyone! I live in Las Vegas and the economy here is terrible so there are many homeless.

Now if only I could get to the retired part of the equation so I can actually bake more often!