Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been telling my boys since they were old enough to understand that at 18 they were adults and it was expected that they leave. Now, we've told them that the house will always welcome them home during breaks from college, military leave and the like, but living here on anything like a permanent basis will be off limits.

Sure the economy is tough, but I am an optimist. Their are opportunities out there and things will get better. I think all this talk about the end of the middle class retirement is just that. Talk. Will SS go away or change fundamentally? Probably. Will cushy pensions be a thing of the past? Maybe. But who ERs now? Motivated savers and investors and people smart enough to get a job with a cushy pension while the getting is good for the most part. I think those that are predisposed to ER will do it no matter what.

Retired July 4th, 2010 at age 43
Trout Bum, Writer, Full-Time Dad and Husband

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
DW has a friend who moved into a 55+ adult community, one of the reasons she cited was that the community has a strict policy that guests are only allowed for up to 2 weeks, she didn't want her son to move back in...
One of our neighbors did that, too.

Living in an expensive area realistically many of the adult children of friends and neighbors don't move out permanently until their mid to late 20s simply because they can't afford it. I know of a few families with kids either still at home or, because of the economy, back at home now in their 30s and 40s.

TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think the comments in this thread only suggest that economic conditions aren't yet desperate enough (for most of us) to accept what we don't want....
Good point. It would have to get much, much worse than this for hubby and I to allow anyone to move in with us. We have the space just not the will. Hubby has been through this during previous marriages and the subject is like kriptonite (sp) to him. Me, well lets just say I grew up part of a large family in a modest sized home. No real space or privacy. I Love ratteling around in this big house, just the two of us. Love the quiet and would be very reluctant to give that up.
A todos los amantes del mundo. No importa el color de su piel, la pasion es universal.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Any day your on this side of the grass is a good day.
Cattusbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
We've had friends live with us frequently over the years, more often when we lived at the beach, but we had to boot out a buddy after a year of living with us last November. Once out, he managed to find a job, a girlfriend, and a place to live. Never had that motivation when he was cooling it in our spare room!

We're okay with friends but not relatives, I think. We have plenty of room and lots of chores to do with all these cats and dogs. I'm hoping to build a cottage and find a friend to live there so we can travel more in coming years.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have our 21 daughter and our 2 yr old granddaughter living with us while her DH is in Afghanistan. They are buying their house in Chula Vista CA and it is sitting empty right now. We did not want her and our granddaughter living alone that far away. We are in WV. Things have been going pretty well for the most part. Yesterday, they were not so good, but you will have that, I guess. I love having them here. It will be bittersweet when they go back home the beginning of March. My DH and I will get our life back, but we will miss them terribly.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dreamer, that's a nice thing you are doing. Hope all goes well and the other days are good ones!

Our son is in college and planning to come home during Xmas break. Hope things go OK as we've had very rough spots in the past but he's a lot more mature now. Am debating how much to discuss house rules. DW think we shouldn't say anything about that but she's smitten with him .

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote