Join Early Retirement Today

Manatees Anyone?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manatees Anyone?

Just got back from Manatee State Park in FL. Cold weather brings the manatees to the power plant.

According to the park service at noon today, there were 137+ manatees in the water. They were everywhere. I would bet way more than the 137.

In this hard to see picture, there are at least 20, although many are too deep to see. Since a few come up for air every few seconds, you cannot get the real feel for how many are actually there in the picture.

It's a great time to see them in a concentrated place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160119_114008.jpg (352.9 KB, 67 views)

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Just got back from Manatee State Park in FL. Cold weather brings the manatees to the power plant.

According to the park service at noon today, there were 137+ manatees in the water. They were everywhere. I would bet way more than the 137.

In this hard to see picture, there are at least 20, although many are too deep to see. Since a few come up for air every few seconds, you cannot get the real feel for how many are actually there in the picture.

It's a great time to see them in a concentrated place.
Cool! DW and I were there about a week ago. There were only a dozen or so there that day, which was much warmer. We were just saying earlier today that we bet there were tons of them there now, with as cold (relatively) as it's been recently.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Two years ago we had a Manatee family in our canal . It was a mother & a baby . The baby was so cute .
Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Here is a video from today. Lots of the manatees there.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Very cool. A few years back I got to swim with a mother and calf while canoeing. There is a strict "no touch" rule but the calf was very curious and was close enough for me to see into his nostrils when breathing. He kept rolling onto his back like a dog asking for a belly rub. Took alot not to do it.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We go see the manatees every winter at the Big Bend Tampa Electric Viewing Center. Haven't been there yet this year.....will probably go next week if the temperatures drop a little more.
Thanks for the reminder!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_Power_Station
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Very cool. A few years back I got to swim with a mother and calf while canoeing. There is a strict "no touch" rule but the calf was very curious and was close enough for me to see into his nostrils when breathing. He kept rolling onto his back like a dog asking for a belly rub. Took alot not to do it.
I would have, it's a character flaw that sometimes I break the rules

I saw some at the Manatee State Park, where the keeper/guide walked with waders on into the water fed them, some were pretty aggressive. The water there was also really filthy as its a favorite spot with lots of Manatee's there over the decades.
I would not want to go into that water.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Administrator

Hard to believe, but we have had a manatee up here in Long Island Sound.

Manatee Spurns State For Rhode Island Waters - tribunedigital-thecourant
Old 01-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazing animals, I've only seen them in pictures. They come to my area rarely so I guess I'll have to make a special trip someday. I see bottle nosed dolphins here and I have to make sure I maintain my composure when I see one. Get excited like a kid.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I saw some at the Manatee State Park, where the keeper/guide walked with waders on into the water fed them, some were pretty aggressive. The water there was also really filthy as its a favorite spot with lots of Manatee's there over the decades.
I would not want to go into that water.
The Orange River is a blackwater river, like most of the southern FL rivers. The water is always brown due to the tannins leaching into the water from the vegetation. Since manatees are grazing animals like cows and since the river water is constantly flowing, I wouldn't worry about getting into the water. Except for the gators, of course. I never worried about playing ball in a cow field, either. Cleanest poop there is.

I was at the park Monday (yesterday-ish), and there were dozens, if not more than a hundred of them there. It had been pretty cold here recently (although not like the blizzard up north), so they were packed in pretty tightly. Lots of chirps and clicks coming through on the underwater microphone. Also a number of calves with their moms. Pretty cool.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around. It was great fun, and educational. They are friendly creatures and love a good belly scratch.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Link to a cute manatee comic from one of my good friend's daughter. She's an artist and a manatee lover.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...53987096975594
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoF View Post
I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around.
We had reservations for a swim with them (in wetsuits) last Sat, but with the high winds all of the tours were canceled. Postponed this exciting event to next month. I have a waterproof camera that I plan to take a few pics from a different perspective.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
We go see the manatees every winter at the Big Bend Tampa Electric Viewing Center. Haven't been there yet this year.....will probably go next week if the temperatures drop a little more.
Thanks for the reminder!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_Power_Station
My Mom lives near Big Bend and going to see the manatees was a regular pilgrimage. Cool animals.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoF View Post
I've gone swimming with them in Homosossa, FL as part of an organized tour. I think it's only available in January and February, when the manatees are around. It was great fun, and educational. They are friendly creatures and love a good belly scratch.
I'll be there in February. Where did you book our tour?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I'll be there in February. Where did you book our tour?
Our trip has been postponed to Feb with these folks (had good reviews and have been very accommodating to us):
Captains Stacy and Mike

Manatees In Paradise

"Keeping Wildlife Wild"
Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We snorkeled with manatees in crystal river, FL two years ago. Cool experience...you have no idea how big they really are until you're right next to them touching their massive sides. .
Old 01-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for posting! We are frequently flying down to Ft Myers and will definitely go kayak there!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #19
Confused about dryer sheets

My DW and I have swam with them a few times and it's a fun experience. She also wrote an article about it on her travel blog.

There's lots of good information there on where to see them, and some great photos. I think they may completely outlaw it in a few more years. This last time there was already a noticeable difference in where you could go and what you could do.

If it's on your bucket list, get it done.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

We were just down there and was disappointed. Like Salt Springs much better. Spent 5 days paddling around with the manatees and had a great time. Much more paddling opportunities and wildlife. Saw bald eagles, egrets, heron, storks, coyote and one alligator. There were even a couple of calves who liked coming up to us in the canoe. We left Manatee Springs after only two days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum