Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Manufactured vs modular homes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

First off I meant to say $38.00 a square foot. Not 100 sq. ft.

http://www.designhomes.com/

http://horkheimerhomes.com/

I have a summer home in the country and there are literally hundreds of these unit's all over by me. I have lots of land, with well, electric, and septic. So I am gonna just drop one on.

Horkheimer is the cheapest, I found a great house for around $80K, but there are extras, garage, basement, deck, etc. His prices are negotiable.

You can buy it by the foot, so if you need an extra 10 feet you just order it.

Also some are 16 feet wide and you put two together so it is now 32 feet wide.

My understanding is stick built is made on sight (appreciates)
Modular is built in a factory and has a wood frame (appreciates)
Trailer is factory built, is less than 16 feet wide, and has a metal frame (depreciates)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most "mobile home" have lumber - 2x4 or 2x6 - framing, afaik. Relatively cheap fixtures, like faucets and lighting, and they sit on a metal frame/trailer, though the axles and wheels can be removed, and the thing set on a foundation, and hopefully strapped down (code in many places). Owned one in the 70s... Had a particle board sub-floor, which sucked if you got it wet. But hey, my cost used was $4500...

I worked for a few months building mobile buildings, for construction site offices, add-on school buildings, etc. Reasonably well-built, IMO.

As with most things, caveat emptor. Check the specs!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike
First off I meant to say $38.00 a square foot. Not 100 sq. ft.

http://www.designhomes.com/

http://horkheimerhomes.com/

I have a summer home in the country and there are literally hundreds of these unit's all over by me. I have lots of land, with well, electric, and septic. So I am gonna just drop one on.

Horkheimer is the cheapest, I found a great house for around $80K, but there are extras, garage, basement, deck, etc. His prices are negotiable.

You can buy it by the foot, so if you need an extra 10 feet you just order it.

Also some are 16 feet wide and you put two together so it is now 32 feet wide.

My understanding is stick built is made on sight (appreciates)
Modular is built in a factory and has a wood frame (appreciates)
Trailer is factory built, is less than 16 feet wide, and has a metal frame (depreciates)

This is not correct, at least as to manufactured homes. They also come double wide, which are 24 or more feet wide. They usually have wood studs, although I would consider steel studs an upgrade, all else being equal. Some have 2x6 studs, rather than 2x4, to get greater insulation space. And they are all "stick built" --stick in this sense just means studs. However, in popular usage, stick built means built onsite, not in a factory. Why this should be a good thing, I have no idea. It would seem to me that a bunch of illegals shooting nail guns in a nice warm factory could do a better job than the same guys out somehwere in the freezing rain.

My guess is that builders and realtors have some joint interests that are served by disparaging the competing products.

Ha
Old 01-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sears & Roebuck did used to sell homes...I didn't know they still do! The house next door to me, and one of the houses across the street are both Sears & Roebuck homes. They were built around 1925. And there are like 5-6 other homes not too far away that look like the same pattern, but I'm not sure if they were Sears & Roebuck models. Pretty standard template though, a small 24x36 1-level, with the short side facing the street, and a 6x24 porch across the front. Basically you went into the livingroom, which was on the left side of the house, and then the dining room was behind that and the kitchen behind that. On the right side you had two bedrooms, one in the front, one in the back, and a hall and bathroom in the middle.

And there were variations on them. For example, the one next to me only had a half-porch up front, and a 6-foot longer living room that took up space where the porch would have been.

As for whether it's modular versus manufactured, here's how I always broke it down...

A modular home is simply a home built in a factory, in modules. Often ends up being stronger than a conventional stick-built home, because each module has to be able to stand on its own. Still has conventional-height ceilings, conventional thickness walls, etc. The newer ones are often harder to spot, but older ones were usually easy because the bearing wall going down the center was usually double-thick. This is the case with my Mom's house, which is a 24x48 modular rambler.

Now a manufactured home, IMO, is nothing but a glorified double-wahd. Usually has a flatter roof peak than a conventional house. Also usually has lower outside walls (like 7 feet or 7 feet 6 inches, compared to the normal 8-9 feet for a regular house), but they make up for it with a cathedral ceiling. Shorter people might not notice it as much, but I feel claustrophobic in them because of those low outer walls. Usually the windows are mounted lower too, so that the tops aren't as close to the ceiling. The outer walls might use normal studs, like 2x4's, but inner, non-bearing walls usually only use 2x2's. And instead of drywall and paint, many of them just use those 4x8 RV-style panels, and so much plastic trim that you get more outgassing than most new cars! And these things can either be put on a permanent foundation, or just leveled, tied down, and skirted like a house trailer. Manufactured homes rarely have a basement, unless you had a site-built staircase that's actually outside of the original house. This is because you really can't have a staircase going down through the frame of the structure.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

By me I have never seen a double wide mobile home/trailer. They are not legal in many places and you have to have a parcel of land that permits them.

As to the metal frame I am speaking of the frame below the floor, where the wheels are attached. These homes come with a title and are movable. It is very hard to get mortgages on used ones because they depreciate in value.

In the Midwest these types of homes are very drafty and cold. Most of them that I do see are older and none that are wider than a tractor trailer can pull down the highway.

But I don't dispute in other areas of the country with different zoning laws nicer ones exist. I also see no reason that very high end ones do exist, did see something on the travel channel about a park in the south somewhere.

Where I live you cannot have mobile homes within the city limits.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #26

Mobile homes aren't permitted at all in my county, unless they're grandfathered in or in a trailer park. Now if you took a "manufactured home" and put it on a permanent foundation, that might be a different story. For instance, I have a cousin who has a "manufactured home" that looks kinda like this: http://www.manufactured-home-refinan...67558FRONT.JPG , only it's on a permanent cinder block foundation, and is anchored down.

I think my cousin's is something like 28x70, so it was trucked in as two 14x70 sections. She's also in a different county, so I don't know if they'd let you get away with something like this where I live.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

For those of you close to Minneapolis, the Walker Art Center has an exhibit until March 26 on contemporary prefabricated homes. Looks really interesting. WE probably will go and look. The exhibit is traveling to the Vancouver ARt Gallery next and will be their April 29 through Sept 4. I don't know if it is Vancouver BC or WA.

Prices seem to range from $88 to $250 a square foot, depending on how upscale you go. Article on this in the January 26 WSJ.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
WE probably will go and look.
Would this be the "royal WE" or the WE as in "Greg and I"?

Modular homes make a lot of sense but have a major uphill battle to combat the trailer/doublewide mindset. I've not seen manufactured homes make any real headway in this part of the world. Too many low-end stick built subdivisions going up to give the mfg. home guys much wiggle room.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #29

I wonder what kind of restrictions some communties would have on post-and-beam type structures? The company that built my 24x40 garage also does house packages. I think you can get a 24x32 Cape Cod with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, and a 6x32 porch across the front for around $50-55K. Plus side prep, of course.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I wonder what kind of restrictions some communties would have on post-and-beam type structures?* The company that built my 24x40 garage also does house packages.* I think you can get a 24x32 Cape Cod with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, and a 6x32 porch across the front for around $50-55K.* Plus side prep, of course.
Andre, do they have a web site? Could you post a link?

Ha
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #31

Sure, Ha...

The url is http://www.durabiltpolebuildings.com/ and they're based out of Ohio. One thing I don't like about 'em is the cheap windows they use, but I'm sure that could always be upgraded.

Also, it looks like I was off a bit in the pricing. The 24x32 Cape Cod is $23,800 for the shell, and $49,000 with the finished off interior.

The garage I had them build ran around $15,000 for their part of it, but I had to jump through hoops with the county with the permit, getting a bunch of gravel for the driveway and foundation base, all the concrete and digging for extra-large footer pads because I was building it in a low area, etc. I'd imagine that once the floor is poured, I'll be in it around $25,000. Here's a bunch of pics of the garage, in various stages of construction: http://photobucket.com/albums/v247/jgandrew/Garage/
Old 01-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Andre. Your garage looks great.

Ha
Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #33

Thanks, Ha! Yeah, my garage WILL be great, once the floor finally gets poured! My guy has been trying for about 2 months now to get a concrete truck down in there to pour it, but every time he thinks he can get something scheduled, the weather just doesn't hold up for us. It really hasn't been all that cold, but just too wet, and he's worried about the truck getting stuck. A few months ago I had a dumptruck get stuck down in there, and that wasn't a pretty sight!