Join Early Retirement Today

Many of Us Won't Be able to Retire Until Our 80s
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many of Us Won't Be able to Retire Until Our 80s

This is an interesting article that explains how many of us in the 3 lower income quartiles won't be able to retire until age 65 or older, and some believe it or not until our 80's.

Many of us won

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. But I guess I'm thinking that anyone doing a job where they are getting paid $11,700 a year aren't going to be able to work into their 80s, because those are probably retail or fast food jobs at that pay and I simply don't think you can be on your feet those hours at that age.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
To be sure, many Americans haven’t figured out how to make working later a real option, instead of just a fantasy. And for them, Nelson has this advice: “You need to pay attention to your career and your health.”

“First, for your career, do some in-depth research and planning. Second, for your body, take a health risk assessment. You may need to keep both of them in shape longer than you thought,” he said.
I understand the point about health (being healthy keeps you physically and mentally able to w*rk longer), but won't it also increase the chances of outliving your money when you *do* finally retire?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I understand the point about health (being healthy keeps you physically and mentally able to w*rk longer), but won't it also increase the chances of outliving your money when you *do* finally retire?
If you don't retire until age 80, probably not.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you don't retire until age 80, probably not.
Fair point, especially since if I had to work until I was 80, I would have put a bullet through my skull long before I got there.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Fair point, especially since if I had to work until I was 80, I would have put a bullet through my skull long before I got there.
+1
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

While then article encourages us to feel bad for those that can't retire, it does reinforce the mathematical fact that Living Above Your Means= No Retirement.
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This article is just one more piece of stupidity feeding the endless desire for Americans to be told what's up.

No sane employer would employ 75 year olds in preference to 25 year olds. Therefore, for this to happen it must be made impossible to fire an older person.

Therefore yonger people will not find jobs, will not be able to set up households, get married, have children or to grow up in any normal way.

Now will they just meekly go along, or will they do what frustrated youth have always done and seek a political solution?

I know which path I would have taken, and I feel confident that the young people of today and tomorrow are no more passive victims than we were.

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

No sane employer would employ 75 year olds in preference to 25 year olds. Therefore, for this to happen it must be made impossible to fire an older person.

I have to disagree. I work at a place where we have people in their 70's, lots of them, and they want to leave, but the company won't lay them off because they don't want to pay them their severance packages. So we lay of the younger folks, who have families to feed and support, and let the old timers sit around and watch TV and play crosswords while collecting full social security and pensions from other jobs. It's disgusting!!

Skimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post

I have to disagree. I work at a place where we have people in their 70's, lots of them, and they want to leave, but the company won't lay them off because they don't want to pay them their severance packages. So we lay of the younger folks, who have families to feed and support, and let the old timers sit around and watch TV and play crosswords while collecting full social security and pensions from other jobs. It's disgusting!!

Wow!

Can I take it that looking good is not part of the job description around your company?

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
This is an interesting article that explains how many of us in the 3 lower income quartiles won't be able to retire until age 65 or older, and some believe it or not until our 80's.

Many of us won
We need a another government program to redistribute (your) money to those without.

Those poor people who spent all their money.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post
I work at a place where we have people in their 70's, lots of them, and they want to leave, but the company won't lay them off because they don't want to pay them their severance packages.
This seems to be a usage of the phrase "want to leave" with which I was heretofore unfamiliar.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

It's **** frustrating to me that in over 30 years of working, I've mostly had good paying j*bs -- equivalent of a high-5-figure income now. Plus DW and I were frugal and lived below our means. (Except for a nice house and the occasional big vacation.) And yet because I stink so badly at the stock market, I'm almost 55 and still not close to being able to retire. The fact I have two kids still in high school doesn't help. Nor does the fact that DW has recently decided to end our relationship and walk with her half of our net worth. But I compare my relatively meager retirement savings to others (e.g. Nick's above, geeze) and I think I screwed up somewhere, badly. If we hadn't paid off all our debts I'd be much worse off than I am.

I'm likely to be w*rking until I'm at least 66 and start drawing SS. But at least I think I WILL be able to retire, eventually.
GaryInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryInCO View Post
The fact I have two kids still in high school doesn't help. Nor does the fact that DW has recently decided to end our relationship and walk with her half of our net worth.
That is usually a big help. I suppose you will also have child support, likely to include college, and perhaps even some sort of payments to your former Princess?

I remember when my lawyer told me that although the state cannot force a parent to pay his or her childrens' way in college, an ex-wife certainly can. Always best to get those kiddies to age 18 before you p*ss off your wife beyond repair.

Ha
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are parting very amicably. (In fact we're still living together, and probably will for a while, for several reasons.) We haven't finalized the legalities but our current working plan is that we've split all our liquid assets 50/50. There will be no alimony because she generally made more than I did. We have our house (paid off) and two rental houses (one paid off). At first she insisted rentals were all hers (long story, connected to her making more $$) but she has since given up on that stance and we'll be splitting the houses 50/50 too. We'll also split child expenses equally. We've already started telling the boys they don't get a free ride in college from us, but I expect we'll help them some.

I have no pension or health care except eventually SS/Medicare. My IRAs and my half of the real estate puts me up around $600k, but I have to live in some of that real estate. I expect to eventually inherit about $200-300k from my mother, which will definitely help. So I think I'll be OK once the boys are out of college, but that's 8-10 years away.

Maybe I shouldn't hang out around here. I was resigned to w*rking another 10 years, but after reading some of the stories here I'm getting less and less happy with the idea...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't hang out around here. I was resigned to w*rking another 10 years, but after reading some of the stories here I'm getting less and less happy with the idea...
True, this place can be toxic to some individuals encapsulated in the working world.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just trying to help...

I've been hanging around here for a number of years now, but I already had a bad attitude. I really had hoped to retire right about now, but a layoff and great recession later, I'm resigned, no pun intended, to working until early SS kicks in. All divorces, child support, etc. are long in the past!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Another reason to work a bit longer is to beef up my SS check. DW and I have been self-employed for 20 years. Between all our creative accounting to minimize our taxable (and thus SS-reportable) income, and her making more $$ (and claiming the lion's share of the income on SS reports), I'm currently looking at a $2k SS check at 66. Maybe if I put in 5 or 10 years of getting full credit for my income, I might be able to boost that some.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Maybe a Walmart greeter that stands there with their walker for support.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just trying to help...

I've been hanging around here for a number of years now, but I already had a bad attitude. I really had hoped to retire right about now, but a layoff and great recession later, I'm resigned, no pun intended, to working until early SS kicks in. All divorces, child support, etc. are long in the past!
Another one who already had a bad attitude, also kicking around here even though my retirement is probably at least 10 years away. Unless we run away and join the ashram, in which case I can leave tomorrow.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote