maybe work keeps you alive?

Probably depends on the job. If you feel you have a purpose and are making a contribution.

just_hatched said:
This guy died at 100 years old and was only retired for a month.
He was probably trying to make up for "lost time" and overexerted himself!

mom thought keeping her mind occupied with work would help prevent alzheimer's.

the only thing it did was help us to maintain mom's dignity and sense of self. my brother had taken over the family engineering biz so we kept mom working there until very late in the disease.

of course in the last few years of "working" it was just a matter of going through the motions. my brother had his secretary redo everything mom thought she was doing.

Ahhh isn't it a major criminal offense to post something like this on an ER board? Frickin' moderators taking the Easter weekend off ;) :D

wildcat said:
Ahhh isn't it a major criminal offense to post something like this on an ER board?  Frickin' moderators taking the Easter weekend off  ;) :D

The moderators thought with Cute Fuzzy Bunny occupied with his egg business this weekend, the board wouldn't have to be monitored too closely.  Obvioulsy we were wrong. :-\

Monitor THIS, moderator boy... :p

Attachments

• bartbutt.gif
    bartbutt.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 189
  • bartbutt.gif_thumb
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
What struck me was the one day off in 70 years--for his wife's funeral. One day. Hum.

By the way, I mentioned this guy in another thread. He's the one that when asked how he managed to not take any days off when people these days regularly take sick days off, told the interviewer "I'm not a pussy!".

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
"I'm not a pussy!".
Apparently only pussies bother to stay hydrated.

I think he died because he didn't have a water cooler to gather 'round for a little social rehydration...

Maybe work only helps keep alive those who can't handle being responsible for keeping themselves alive.

Twimc:

This thread was reported to me. Anyone that thinks this thread is over the line has not read many of the threads on this forum.

I personally have posted dozens of messages that were far more disgusting than this one!

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Monitor THIS, moderator boy... :p
Good luck with that, poster boy, how do you think we became moderators?

IIRC correctly, it might be at least in part because I made a stink about needing some, and I gave a list of all of your names to Dory.

I believe the first portion of that statement is the very definition of irony.

I wonder what his motivation was besides "My dad got us out of bed whether it was raining or snowing. We got up at 6 o'clock, no matter what" Was he a "person with a compulsive need to work" (can't use the word or I'll get banned from this forum)

The saying goes "there are exeptions to every rule", for the average Boeing employee, this is the rule.

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Having worked for Boeing and retired from Lockheed Martin at age 55 - on average I'm going to die in agreement with my IRS allowable age - according to the chart.

Bon Temps Rolliere!

I thought the one day off for wife’s funeral was pretty sad too.  How many other funerals, births, weddings, special events, etc. were missed?  It sounds more like obsessive compulsive disorder to me instead of “just being reliable.” 

When I was younger I used to try and go a couple years without missing any work, but then realized it wasn’t worth it.  The company will definitely survive and go on without me. 

I wonder how much longer he planned to live after retirement. 

Once when I went to my doctor, I mentioned to him that I look foward to the day I can retire. His reply to me was the following: "You don't want to do that. Once you retire you get sick and then you die." He insisted that work keeps you young and alive. He told me he sees it all the time. Patients who are healthy individuals while working - and as soon as they retire, they start to fall apart. He was adament about it.

Said best thing for your health and a long life, was to keep working. Interesting I thought.

modhatter said:
"...Once you retire you get sick and then you die." He insisted that work keeps you young and alive. He told me he sees it all the time. Patients who are healthy individuals while working - and as soon as they retire, they start to fall apart.

I think that only applies to those who retire and spend their time posting on retirement forums. ;)

modhatter said:
Once when I went to my doctor, I mentioned to him that I look foward to the day I can retire. His reply to me was the following: "You don't want to do that. Once you retire you get sick and then you die." He insisted that work keeps you young and alive. He told me he sees it all the time. Patients who are healthy individuals while working - and as soon as they retire, they start to fall apart. He was adament about it.

Said best thing for your health and a long life, was to keep working. Interesting I thought.

I think this may apply to people who have worked until retirement age (65+) and who are very identified with their work. We've all heard stories of newly retired men who don't know what to do with themselves and waste away into the grave a few months years later.

There are even books out there that help you deal with retirement :confused: :confused:

Its my impression that most people on this group see work as something that keeps them away from their family and/or many interests and hobbies. When they can kick the BS can out of their lives for good, they thrive. Just read a few posts and you'll see stories of permagrins, weight loss, and a general increase in well being upon retirement.

modhatter said:
Once when I went to my doctor, I mentioned to him that I look foward to the day I can retire.  His reply to me was the following:  "You don't want to do that.  Once you retire you get sick and then you die."  He insisted that work keeps you young and alive.  He told me he sees it all the time.  Patients who are healthy individuals while working - and as soon as they retire, they start to fall apart.  He was adament about it.
Said best thing for your health and a long life, was to keep working.  Interesting I thought.
I think a guy whose work is to be sought out by sick people has little credibility in deciding whether work keeps them healthy. Especially if he claims their death is due to lack of work and not to any omissions or failure on his part!

I'm not looking for a job, but maybe he'd be interested in paying research candidates a suitable subsistence fee.  The Young Dreamers on this board could retire and he'd see how long it would take them to get sick and die. 

More support for early retirement = earlier death?

The study does mention the reason for many early retirements may have been medical conditions.

If you look at the original study, the difference is not so apparent. The following graph shows survival rate of people retired at 55 who survived to 65 (undoubtfully those without significant health problems), compared to those who retired at 65, ie. it compares longevity starting at 65. I really don't see that big a difference.
tsas282889.f1.jpeg

Well I'm not sure about work keeping you alive but my mother's recent early retirement at 69 will definitely cause some problems.....as one with an almost addictive 'shopping habit' I'm hoping we can manage to keep her spending under control now that she will be on the 'other side' of the counter...

I swear helping others pick jewelry was not only her strength but also fulfilled that 'shopping impulse'......now that she's ER'ed we'll have to see if she can stay FI'ed!!

http://www.ginnunggap.com/

Back
Top Bottom