Join Early Retirement Today

"Meet the Kaderlis"
Old 03-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Meet the Kaderlis"

Billy & Akaisha have been adding audio & video to their website. Even if you've visited with them before, it's worth the video to enjoy the surrounding sights & sounds of Chiang Mai.

Rich_In_Tampa, this is the ER couple I've mentioned who've been traveling for 15 years. It'll give you a good feel for why they chose to ER and "what they do all day".

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...nd_akaisha.htm

The video: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/..._interview.wmv

Broadband: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...interview2.wmv

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Meet the Kaderlis"
Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good video and I can't disagree with anything they said, except the fact they don't have a cell phone.* I would think I would get one of those international cells if I were to be traveling as they do.* Even when I'm a few miles from my home, I'm glad I have my cell in case of an emergency.

Also, I don't know how prudent it is to be advertising to the world with websites, local news articles, pictures, and video of yourself that you have enough money to live on the investments that you don't need to work anymore.* I would be more than a little concerned traveling through some of those remote places they mentioned that someone would recognize me and get a nasty idea of how to extract some of that money from me.* They don't exactly look like they blend with the locals.

I wish them continued health and happiness.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I would think I would get one of those international cells if I were to be traveling as they do.
I wonder how good the coverage is way out in the boonies, and I don't know that they have anyone who'd call them in an emergency. A cell phone was handy in Bangkok when spouse was in meetings and didn't know when she'd get out, but even in the big city we had plenty of coverage problems & dropped calls.

Spouse & I had the "We can afford it, do we want cell phones?" conversation again. I can barely stand the hassle of responding to the land-line phone, let alone bringing another battery-powered programmable appliance into the house.

Don't know about the rich-tourist issue. They've mentioned that they try to live local-style but I don't know how much protection that would be. I get the impression that most tourist kidnappings happen with a group or with tours more extreme than I'd ever care to join.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #4

When I did a 7 month travel around the world, visiting many of the same places the Kaderlis have been to, I found having a GSM cell phone was not very useful. As a tourist you want to go to the smaller remote ares where there isn't much coverage. The hassle of keeping it charged and accessible but hidden was just not worth the potential benefits. If you have an American cell phone SIM card you'll pay at least a buck or two per minute, much more in some places, to call home. And the dialing is different in many countries so you have to figure out how to use your cell phone in each place and do a test call before you can rely on it for emergencies.

You can get a calling card or use internet land phones for 10c to 25c per minute to call the USA. Using public phones just works better... the card or attendant will explain the dialing system, they are available widely, and most important you get a relatively quiet place to make a call. The noise pollution in many Asian and even European countries is such that making a cell call on a street can be very frustrating.

A cell phone isn't as useful for safety overseas as you might imagine. If you have a medical emergency, get lost, or encounter hostiles, it's not really going to do you any good to call back to the USA. You probably don't know the number of the local police and even if you did they might not speak English.

If you need help you're much better off finding a local person who can get you whatever you need.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

retire@40
Quote:
Also, I don't know how prudent it is to be advertising to the world with websites, local news articles, pictures, and video of yourself that you have enough money to live on the investments that you don't need to work anymore. I would be more than a little concerned traveling through some of those remote places they mentioned that someone would recognize me and get a nasty idea of how to extract some of that money from me. They don't exactly look like they blend with the locals.
Maybe where we hang out when we travel makes a difference..* ** We don't stay in 4 Seasons Resorts (should those foreign travellers worry? Now that's advertizing you have money...)

Although we are white-looking, we like hanging out with the locals. We don't flash money, jewelry, electronic equipment or cash. We eat in simple places. We get to know the shop owners, the maids, tuk tuk drivers and taxis. Also, if possible, we meet the 'movers and shakers' like the Presidentes of cities in Mexico, Editors of magazines, Presidents of clubs, etc. ..* *However, I must stress, we are very low key.

uh... I kind of 'dressed up' for the video (That's me dressed UP?* * *poor girl...* 8) ) I don't always look that good!* ** *

Nords
Quote:
Spouse & I had the "We can afford it, do we want cell phones?" conversation again. I can barely stand the hassle of responding to the land-line phone, let alone bringing another battery-powered programmable appliance into the house
Billy feels exactly the same way. I had to 'fight' to get a regular phone in the house!* The only people I would want to call are in the States anyway,...

fireme
Quote:
If you have an American cell phone SIM card you'll pay at least a buck or two per minute, much more in some places, to call home. And the dialing is different in many countries so you have to figure out how to use your cell phone in each place and do a test call before you can rely on it for emergencies.
Exactly. We utilize online chat at internet cafes or lots of people use skype.

Thanks, Nords, for the mention!*

Best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
uh... I kind of 'dressed up' for the video (That's me dressed UP? poor girl... 8) ) I don't always look that good!
Akaisha, don't be soooo modest.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #7

I saw the video and I enjoyed it. I need encouragement and it is always great to hear about the Kaderlis experiences first hand!

For international cell phones, I am really hoping that Wi-Fi continues to become more and more ubiquitous, and then you can call for virtually free from anywhere using one of these when you have a Wi-Fi connection:

http://tools.netgear.com/skype/

It seems like the next best thing to a real cell phone for the international traveler.

Kramer

Quote:
What is it?
A mobile phone that enables you to make free Internet calls to anyone else in the world who has Skype.

I thought you needed a PC to talk on Skype?
Millions of Skype users talk for free by plugging in headsests, speakers, or USB phones into their computers. NETGEAR’s Skype WiFi Phone changes that, freeing you to walk around untetheered anywhere withing a WiFi network to which to have access, while you talk to other Skype users worldwide.

If you don’t need a PC, how do you download Skype?
It is pre-loaded with Skype and ready to use with a wireless network out of the box.

How do you manage your Skype contacts?
An intuitive on-screen menu lets you see who is online and available to talk. Same great interface Skype users are used to.

What if you want to call or get calls from non-Skype users?
Using SkypeOut, for a small fee, you can make calls to mobile and traditional landline phone users. The SkypeIn option receives calls from non-Skype users. Skype Voicemail takes your calls when you’re busy or offline.

How does Skype generate revenue?
Skype generates revenue through its premium service offerings such as making and receiving calls to and from landline and mobile phones, as well as voicemail and call forwarding services.

What about security?
Skype uses secure and encrypted communication so nobody’s able to listen in. The NETGEAR Skype WiFi Phone is designed to deploy Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) for WiFi security.

What wireless standard is used?
The wireless mobile phone is WiFi compatible 802.11g, and is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

What are the other areas of collaboration?
In addition to the NETGEAR Skype Wifi phone, NETGEAR and Skype also announced that the NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824) with Smart MIMO technology, a 2006 CES Innovations Design and Engineering Award honoree and the industry’s #1 selling MIMO-G product, will be equipped to optimize Skype. Adapting to changing wireless conditions is unique to NETGEAR’s RangeMax technology, and RangeMax routers dynamically avoid interference from neighboring wireless networks and eliminate dead spots to maintain the most reliable, high-performance, long-range network connections to each client, making them ideal for supporting applications such as Skype. Skype integration with NETGEAR’s RangeMax wireless router will further extend the companies’leadership in innovative networking devices.

When is the phone available and what is the price?
More information on NETGEAR’s Skype WiFi phone, including pricing and availability, is planned for the first quarter of 2006. Sign up to receive more information when it becomes available.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Billy,
Thanks for the inspirational web site.
I got your book on CD to keep me going.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$30 bucks for a t-mobile phone and $100 for a thousand minutes good for a year.

Have one in every car. I pay less in a year for three of them than most people pay on a regular cell bill for a couple of months.

I saw a really, really cool phone and I wish I could remember where I saw it. You have a 'base' in your home and the phone uses either bluetooth or 802.11 to talk to it and use either your land line or your broadband connection. When you wander from home, it uses a cell phone network or any wifi hotspot it can link to. About the size of a big clamshell flip-phone. While momentarily interested in the technology involved, I didnt check into how much it cost, and i imagine the technical problems associated with it would be very monumental.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #10

Skype is really useful... I know lots of people who call overseas with it basically for free. But as far as using wifi overseas we're not there yet. I brought a laptop with wifi for three months of my overseas travels, and found that the wifi was mostly useless. In large airports there is sometimes a wifi connection that you can pay $15 or so to use, but the one time I tried to use it in Melbourne some billing or system problem caused me to pay the money but not get access. In the Bangkok airport I was able to sit outside one of the "Red Carpet" type clubs and use their free wifi, but it took a lot of wandering around the airport with the laptop to find that signal. When I was in King's Cross neighborhood in Sydney, I got someone's home wifi network from the balcony of my room in a residential area. But mostly when I wanted connectivity with my laptop I had to go into an internet cafe and plug the ethernet in.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #11

After my first year in Thailand I broke down and bought a cheap nokia phone. When I travel abroad, I sometimes take the phone with me incase i wan tto buy a local SIM card.

Normally you can find affordable International calling cards where ever you travel to. Many Internet cafes will offer (internet) international calls for attractive prices, so paying the roaming charges for your regular cell phone makes no sense to me....

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #12

fireme, you are right. That is what I have read from travel blogs, too. I am hoping it will change

Lance, I agree that calling from internet cafes is basically your best bet now, frugally speaking. It probably doesn't hurt to have a skype account that you can call out on, too, from an internet cafe (cheaper) and then you can also receive voicemail.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
much more in some places, to call home. And the dialing is different in many countries so you have to figure out how to use your cell phone in each place and do a test call before you can rely on it for emergencies.
If you have a SIM from a U.S. cell phone provider, I believe you can always dial "+1<areacode><phone number>" and that should get you to the US without having to dial any of the other codes. I've only tried in this two countries though, can anyone confirm?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #14

I ordered their CD. Can't wait. I'm just a few years removed from their age when they first retired, so their story iis of great interest to me.

BTW, there are satellite phones with reasonable monthly fees:

http://www.sailcharbonneau.com/Livin...gSatellite.htm
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #15

Buns of Veal
Quote:
I ordered their CD. Can't wait. I'm just a few years removed from their age when they first retired, so their story iis of great interest to me.
Thanks, Buns!* * If you have any questions after you read our book, feel free to write and ask them..

MJ
Quote:
Akaisha, don't be soooo modest.* *
Thanks, "Mary Jane" -- we must have the same fashion sense!*

kramer
Quote:
I saw the video and I enjoyed it.* I need encouragement and it is always great to hear about the Kaderlis experiences first hand!
Thanks for taking the time to view, Kramer. We find retirement life very rewarding and are never bored. I can't believe it's been 15+ years already.

kramer

Thanks for the info on skype. Lots of folks use skype here. I know a many who utilizes that with a webcam and speaks to his family for an hour + daily. I even hear him saying things like show me the cat. what happened to it's tail?
dex
Quote:
Billy,
Thanks for the inspirational web site.
I got your book on CD to keep me going.
Thanks for your support of our project. We appreciate it. If you have any questions, feel free to write to us at our email ba264@yahoo.com

fireme
Quote:
Skype is really useful... I know lots of people who call overseas with it basically for free.* But as far as using wifi overseas we're not there yet.* I brought a laptop with wifi for three months of my overseas travels, and found that the wifi was mostly useless.*
That's a good point. We see folks sometimes use wifi in airports, but I see them having to check which connection isn't encrypted or fee based in order to get in. Billy simply plugs in our laptop while* in the airport to recharge it and then utilizes that charge to work on the plane. Sometimes he'll also go into an airport lounge to download email and then reply while on the plane.

You know, when you're flying for 10-14 hours at a time...

Lance
Quote:
Normally you can find affordable International calling cards where ever you travel to. Many Internet cafes will offer (internet) international calls for attractive prices, so paying the roaming charges for your regular cell phone makes no sense to me....
Exactly.

We are always available 'at the office' - which is poolside - during 'office hours' or by email. But I know it drives people crazy that they can't just 'call' us anytime.

Gosh, all we said in that video, and the biggest challenge we get is about the phone? Who would have guessed?

I thought something financial or about retiring with the kids would have gotten everyone's dander up.. ? Funny...

Akaisha
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Akaisha,

Really enjoyed watching your video! It's fun to get to know you and Billy better. You two are really heroes for so many of us on this forum. Thanks for sharing and for all your input and advice.

I think the reaction about the phones is that just like being in the workforce (vs. ER) - a lot of times people can't relate to not having phone access (or other "normal" everyday conveniences that we take for granted) available 24/7 until you have stepped away from the rat race.

Can't wait to join the "Club"!!

Best Regards,

Jane
Of all the things I&#039;ve lost, I miss my mind the most!
Jane_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #17

Jane:
Quote:
Really enjoyed watching your video!* It's fun to get to know you and Billy better.* You two are really heroes for so many of us on this forum.* Thanks for sharing and for all your input and advice.*
Hi Jane!

Gosh....* * * * * How nice you are!

No problem with sharing the advice. We believe once retired, people have the free time to do the work they love or donate to others in remarkable ways. Creativity blossoms, (and so does the heart* aaaaahhhhh.... okay, maybe it's a girl thing! 8) )

Quote:
I think the reaction about the phones is that just like being in the workforce (vs. ER) - a lot of times people can't relate to not having phone access (or other "normal" everyday conveniences that we take for granted) available 24/7 until you have stepped away from the rat race.*
I think you are entirely right. I read an article on Retirement yesterday, where this couple inherited enough money to double their net worth, and could now 'retire'.

Thing is... their desires doubled too! They wanted a retirement filled with expensive toys, and a big house, and, and, and.....* They sounded like they won the lottery* ** Which can be a dangerous approach.

My advice?* Slooooowwww dowwwnnnn.... Think about it. It's a lifestyle, not a vacation.

Quote:
Can't wait to join the "Club"!!
YAY!!* Welcome aboard!

Best all ways,

Akaisha
Old 03-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Rich_In_Tampa, this is the ER couple I've mentioned who've been traveling for 15 years. It'll give you a good feel for why they chose to ER and "what they do all day".
Hey, Nords - thanks for the link. Awesome story. At times I think of doing some type of third world travel, maybe combine some missionary-type work, make it a real adventure for a while while I and my wife are young enough and healthy. They make a good case for keeping that dream alive.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #19

Rich:
Quote:
Awesome story.
Thanks for taking the time to view, Rich...

Quote:
At times I think of doing some type of third world travel, maybe combine some missionary-type work, make it a real adventure for a while while I and my wife are young enough and healthy. They make a good case for keeping that dream alive.
How inspiring for you to do some sort of volunteering/missionary/peace corps work! The world 'needs' ya buddy!*

Sometimes, when Billy and I have a hectic day of traveling on busses, boats and planes... we think to ourselves: "Would I want to be just starting out at this age doing this "* *

I think we are a "young 53" yet sometimes, that "young" feels pretty old already!*

Thanks again for taking the time to view...

Akaisha
Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Lance, I agree that calling from internet cafes is basically your best bet now, frugally speaking.* It probably doesn't hurt to have a skype account that you can call out on, too, from an internet cafe (cheaper) and then you can also receive voicemail.Kramer
Yep, just sign up for a Skype account, then arrange to meet family or friends at an agreed time for FREE PC to PC calls. Most internet cafes have headphones and mikes, so your good to go most anywhere in the world!

I just signed up for a Skype "Skype Out" (PC to phone) account. From Thailand I can call my parents in the USA for $0.021 cents per minute. The voice quality was much better than Net2Phone and 50% cheaper (Net2Phone charged me 3.9 cents USD / minute)

Lance, as always, bargain hunting...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote