Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

lark L,

When we lived in Houston, we joined Newcomers Club right away and met an interesting and diverse group. We always join the Gourmet Group, as it is people who like to eat, drink and talk. My wife always scouts out the local weavers and quilters groups and we meet people through those, too. We love their parties! Much more fun than company parties. I myself enjoyed the computer clubs. We lived in Clear Lake City and I remember there was a symphony club that hired a bus to go into town to see the orchestras and had drinks on the way home. No parking problems either.

There are many possibilities. As I recall, Houston was said to have the largest ski club in the country. They would all go to Colorado together. We had friends who were bicyclists. They would go on group outings everywhere.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
lark L,

When we lived in Houston, we joined Newcomers Club right away and met an interesting and diverse group. We always join the Gourmet Group, as it is people who like to eat, drink and talk. My wife always scouts out the local weavers and quilters groups and we meet people through those, too. We love their parties! Much more fun than company parties. I myself enjoyed the computer clubs. We lived in Clear Lake City and I remember there was a symphony club that hired a bus to go into town to see the orchestras and had drinks on the way home. No parking problems either.

There are many possibilities. As I recall, Houston was said to have the largest ski club in the country. They would all go to Colorado together. We had friends who were bicyclists. They would go on group outings everywhere.
Great post. Think about what you like to do, and find others who like doing that too. Friendships may or may not grow out of the people you meet, but at least you'll be enjoying what you're doing!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
One of the reasons we moved here was because we were living among the kind of folks who felt comfortable just dropping by our place unannounced
Hehe. Nowadays it's more like calling them from your car, saying you're in the neighborhood, and asking what beers they have on tap.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

To you folks waiting until your 55 to move to a retirement community, do it now. Most states have rules that up to 20% of the sales can be to folks under 55. Most also do not allow anyone under 19 to live there. So figure out where you want to retire and go do it now.

I bought my retirement home in The Villages when I was under 55 and used it as a vacation home until I retired. Just now getting ready to move there full time. And because there are people who live there having their kids visit and grand kids, there are always hundreds of younger people around. I thought it might be an issue being the youngest person on the block, but it turned out to be a plus.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote