Meeting people around the same age?

The kind of support network that's supposed to be the best for longevity include the kind of folks you'd feel comfortable just dropping-by their place anannounced. I've been afraid of moving to a new place because it would take a while to build that level of trust with a new select few.

--Dale--

That sort of practice may be dependant on regional cultural norms. Personally I would never think of just dropping by a friend's house unannounced. I wouldn't even do that to my dear companion F. - - I'd call him on the way, and ask first just to be considerate.

That's one of my minor concern. Will we make good true friends fast since we are both 62 yrs old. I know it took a lot of years to develop some friends but some of them are also not worth keeping(?).

It is always a gamble, when moving, since you don't even know how your neighbors are going to be?

We are also Americans of foreign extraction and although we are very Americanized in culture, we have this exotic look and accent.

People at first can't figure out if I'm Hispanic, Japanese, Chinese or Korean, until I open my mouth, --then people feel I'm American with a very fine accent. Just for fun, I'd intentionally speak with my upitty Midwestern talk, or would do a real southern drawl. Just to confuse people for fun!

I figure, if I belong to a group of common interest, all other nuances will melt fast since I also have a sense of humour and not afraid to mix it up with people.

We still enjoyed spending time with older folks when we were younger. We had plenty in common so the age differences didn't matter much.

This is the case for me, too. I'm in my early 30s, and while I do have a few friends in that age group, I frequently find myself doing things with people in their 40s-60s.

And at races, I'll know all of the guys in the 70+ age groups and a far smaller percentage of those closer in age to me. I've always tended to get along with people older than me.

I never really thought that was strange until so many of my friends started offering to set me up with their sons instead of their friends once I became single!

The kind of support network that's supposed to be the best for longevity include the kind of folks you'd feel comfortable just dropping-by their place anannounced. I've been afraid of moving to a new place because it would take a while to build that level of trust with a new select few.
One of the reasons we moved here was because we were living among the kind of folks who felt comfortable just dropping by our place unannounced.

Luckily this was before cell-phone cameras were ubiquitous.

I don't think it's an age as much as it's an attitude. Spouse went to an official dinner the other night. She's [-]a bit older than[/-] about the age of the admiral (the host) and the retired senior officers who were invited as guests. But who did she feel most comfortable chatting with? The caterer and the flag lieutenant.

I'm 53, DW is 57. Still working, but this topic is quite interesting as we've struggled with this for years (meeting others). We've either lived in Houston, where everyone goes home, locks the door and doesn't do much or in small towns where there just wasn't much going on. We're childless (by choice) and this certainly plays into it, as many are busy all weekend with their kids. Plus I work straight days in 24/7 manufacturing, most of the employees are on shift and socialize with their shift-mates.

We're ABSOLUTELY going to move into a retirement (AA) community and get busy. Hate to live in the "We'll be happier later" mode, but that's the way it is for a few more years.

lark L,

When we lived in Houston, we joined Newcomers Club right away and met an interesting and diverse group. We always join the Gourmet Group, as it is people who like to eat, drink and talk. My wife always scouts out the local weavers and quilters groups and we meet people through those, too. We love their parties! Much more fun than company parties. I myself enjoyed the computer clubs. We lived in Clear Lake City and I remember there was a symphony club that hired a bus to go into town to see the orchestras and had drinks on the way home. No parking problems either.

There are many possibilities. As I recall, Houston was said to have the largest ski club in the country. They would all go to Colorado together. We had friends who were bicyclists. They would go on group outings everywhere.

lark L,

When we lived in Houston, we joined Newcomers Club right away and met an interesting and diverse group. We always join the Gourmet Group, as it is people who like to eat, drink and talk. My wife always scouts out the local weavers and quilters groups and we meet people through those, too. We love their parties! Much more fun than company parties. I myself enjoyed the computer clubs. We lived in Clear Lake City and I remember there was a symphony club that hired a bus to go into town to see the orchestras and had drinks on the way home. No parking problems either.

There are many possibilities. As I recall, Houston was said to have the largest ski club in the country. They would all go to Colorado together. We had friends who were bicyclists. They would go on group outings everywhere.

Great post. Think about what you like to do, and find others who like doing that too. Friendships may or may not grow out of the people you meet, but at least you'll be enjoying what you're doing!

One of the reasons we moved here was because we were living among the kind of folks who felt comfortable just dropping by our place unannounced
Hehe. Nowadays it's more like calling them from your car, saying you're in the neighborhood, and asking what beers they have on tap.

To you folks waiting until your 55 to move to a retirement community, do it now. Most states have rules that up to 20% of the sales can be to folks under 55. Most also do not allow anyone under 19 to live there. So figure out where you want to retire and go do it now.

I bought my retirement home in The Villages when I was under 55 and used it as a vacation home until I retired. Just now getting ready to move there full time. And because there are people who live there having their kids visit and grand kids, there are always hundreds of younger people around. I thought it might be an issue being the youngest person on the block, but it turned out to be a plus.

Back
Top Bottom