Join Early Retirement Today

Memory decline associated with early retirement
Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memory decline associated with early retirement

"The two economists call their paper “Mental Retirement,” and their argument has intrigued behavioral researchers. Data from the United States, England and 11 other European countries suggest that the earlier people retire, the more quickly their memories decline."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

What do you think?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #2

I'd answer but my mind keeps slipping.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
What do you think?
About what?

On a more serious note, I would agree with one of the criticisms from the article that you linked - there are a lot of differences between the different groups in addition to retirement ages. And I'm not sure, other than short term memory, what is tested by memorizing a list of words.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Selection bias? The failing minds retired earlier because they were performing poorly on the job, or making less money in their own business, or were more stressed due to vague self-awareness if impending decline, etc. etc.

Or it's a bit true and we should all bear it in mind as we plan our post-FIRE routines.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Darnit, they beat me to the obvious answer...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Hugh Hendrie, the emeritus psychology professor at Indiana University School of Medicine who was quoted as saying,

Quote:
“It’s a nice approach, a very good study,” he said. But, he said, there are many differences among countries besides retirement ages. The correlations do not prove causation. They also, he added, do not prove that there is a clinical significance to the changes in scores on memory tests.
(emphasis mine) What were they thinking?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

I totally agree with W2R. I think there are a lot of cultural aspects to this, whether personal or relating to the geography in which you live. For example, I live in Japan right now, where I don't feel I could live an active, rewarding retirement. That's because there are few things that are near and dear to my heart for me to do, if I have to live in a tiny apartment. If I lived at my home in California, well, there are enough stimulating activities of interest for me there that I would probably never be bored.

I also believe that if you retire from compensated employment so that you can be a couch potato, then that is also what will happen to your mind. If you retire from compensated employment with an active plan, fully executed, which keeps your mind busy, then your mind probably won't go.

If you look around this forum, for example, you have people who have written books in retirement, people who volunteer and help others, people who take on second careers or other activities that are not compensated but are of value. I think the authors of the study need to look a little deeper, specifically at what the early retirees are doing with their time, and why. They may come to a more meaningful conclusion.

R
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

From the article:
Quote:
The memory test looks at how well people can recall a list of 10 nouns immediately and 10 minutes after they heard them. A perfect score is 20, meaning all 10 were recalled each time. Those tests were chosen for the surveys because memory generally declines with age, and this decline is associated with diminished ability to think and reason.
Personally, I'd never take such a stupid test. I hate surveys and meaningless test come in a close second. I'd never have submitted to such a test either when working or retired.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Darnit, they beat me to the obvious answer...
42?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

What was the question?

I actually feel smarter since FIRE because I have a variety of activities going on instead of mindless drudgew*rk (same old same old...). I do feel like my "to completion" attention span has decreased a little. I was used to long term thinking (lab experimentation, anticipating yearly funding cycles, program management) while drawing a paycheck.

But I've gotten over it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

At a bare minimum you have to compare the people same countries at age 40. Without that you have nothing worth publishing
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I also believe that if you retire from compensated employment so that you can be a couch potato, then that is also what will happen to your mind. If you retire from compensated employment with an active plan, fully executed, which keeps your mind busy, then your mind probably won't go.

If you look around this forum, for example, you have people who have written books in retirement, people who volunteer and help others, people who take on second careers or other activities that are not compensated but are of value. I think the authors of the study need to look a little deeper, specifically at what the early retirees are doing with their time, and why. They may come to a more meaningful conclusion.

R
Exactly - I'm too busy to participate in surveys.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This study is a poster child for the old maxim that "correlation does not equal causation."

Maybe some folks retired early *because* they were losing their memory.

Maybe retiring early leads some people to stop exercising their minds, thus losing mental sharpness. But in that case it would be the lack of mental stimulation, not the retiring early, that caused it -- and there are plenty of ways to stay mentally and physically sharp after retirement, no matter what some pro-"work until you drop dead" people try to claim.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This study is a poster child for the old maxim that "correlation does not equal causation."

Maybe some folks retired early *because* they were losing their memory.

Maybe retiring early leads some people to stop exercising their minds, thus losing mental sharpness. But in that case it would be the lack of mental stimulation, not the retiring early, that caused it -- and there are plenty of ways to stay mentally and physically sharp after retirement, no matter what some pro-"work until you drop dead" people try to claim.

I agree but it doesn't even rise to that level. it compares contries, not individuals. Also it has no baselines of younger people
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(emphasis mine) What were they thinking?
They're probably just trying to cope with memory decline...

I think most of this non-problem is an American cultural overemphasis on hypervigilant self-assessments designed to alert us to the slightest amount of memory decline.

The way I remember it (no matter how much I try to forget it), I'm doing better in ER than I was during any of my 36-hour workdays.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #16

I've read a similar study on memory and bridge players. The study outcome indicated that those who play bridge into old age have better memories longer than those who don't play.

But, in other expert's opinions, the study was flawed because they couldn't prove whether people with good memories to begin with are drawn to bridge or whether the game of bridge helped them retain memory.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
But, in other expert's opinions, the study was flawed because they couldn't prove whether people with good memories to begin with are drawn to bridge or whether the game of bridge helped them retain memory.
"... and therein lies the rubber" - William Shakespeare
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #18

wonder how many will get that
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
wonder how many will get that
I would think we have many bridge playing Shakespeare readers on the site that have a warped sense of humor
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #20

you're probably spot on